Author Topic: For him who would read  (Read 1251 times)

Offline anon

• View Profile
For him who would read
« on: July 13, 2003, 06:44:00 PM »
I've been killen time on Amazon.
There is a wealth of books on a subject of intrest to many of us.
Here is an example - and I feel even the short review explains the how and why of the issues that puzzle us most.

See all editorial reviews...
 cults, personality change, and information disease, June 30, 2000
  Reviewer: An Amazon.com Customer from Earth  
This book provides an analysis of the techniques used by cults and certain "self help" agencies to alter the personality of the client. It presents a model, using catastrophe theory, in which the person is driven to a snapping point. After this snap, the personality is drastically changed, and often it requires another snap to rectify the situation. The theory presented here is very interesting. The cases discussed include those annoying cults and "self help" groups which roam college campuses (and its good to see that the authors do not bend to political correctness and include some of the more popular groups). In addition, the effects of stress are discussed in industrial settings. And, the governments royal botch-job at Waco is examined. Personally, I consider some of the "cult deprogrammers" as heroes who have tried to uphold a person's fundamental right to freedom of thought, against the sway of politicians. The only problem I have with this book is that there never is made a distinction between genuine religious conversion and cult conversion (snapping). I do not know how such a distinction could be made, but perhaps it would be an interesting area for further research.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »