Author Topic: Character Education at Hyde-DC  (Read 3471 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Character Education at Hyde-DC
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:49:58 PM »
From the Hyde-DC website.  Note that their site is, in fact, created by Eighty20 (bottom right corner).

Here is another recent post mentioning Eighty20:
http://fornits.com/smf/http://www.forni ... 90#p306290

Notice Malcolm's use of the word effective as opposed to excellent in his characterization of Hyde's college preparatory program.

Character Ed

"Although Hyde has always offered an effective college preparatory program, our overriding purpose has always been to prepare students for life. Too many schools fall into the trap of teaching kids to be good at school. School is not an end in itself.  Hyde has shown that school can be a place where kids develop character and begin to connect with a fulfilling personal destiny."
            Malcolm Gauld, president of Hyde Schools

Character Development is the primary objective in a Hyde education. Character is not an "add-on" at Hyde. It is the foundation from which academic and non-academic curriculum is developed.

While other schools may tout character, the primary factor that distinguishes Hyde from all other schools is our holistic approach to character development. We focus on preparing students both academically and for the challenges they will face throughout their lives.

Our primary goal is the personal growth of Hyde's students, but our experience has taught us that all constituents -- students, teachers, and parents -- must strive for personal growth in order for Hyde's students to achieve it. Our character building program has unique elements that help us to accomplish this goal.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Character Education at Hyde-DC
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »
Do ALL the schools have those dumb plastic banners? Please, like I really want to be staring at "HUMILITY" all day.

Do Joe and Malcolm Gauld always wear matching ties?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:12:56 AM »
What I want to know is did Dad and Son have a three way with that hot woman in the pic?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 12:00:47 PM »
Jeez, MooGirl... That there be the third generation.

Mrs. O'Leary treating you well enough?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 10:34:54 AM »
Here's another page from that same section.

Start 'em off young. Even though Hyde-DC is assuredly a far more dilute version of the cult, notice how the very first activity descriptive is a real downer: "a series of formal, structured activities that challenge students to confront negative attitudes."

Rip 'em down before you build them up.

Character Development Program

Hyde Leadership Public Charter School's Student Character Development Program is executed and implemented through a series of formal, structured activities that challenge students to confront negative attitudes, identify productive and unproductive behaviors and reflect upon their actions and decision-making, while taking responsibility for those actions and asking the best of themselves and others.

The student program consists of weekly School Meetings, Discovery Groups, journaling sessions and school-wide recognition. Each activity is designed to create challenges for students, support their best efforts and to teach them about character and Hyde's "unique potential" concept of education. The divisions have varied combinations of this programming and are individualized for student age and gender, concepts and themes, and daily schedule.     

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:49:48 AM »
While other schools may tout character, the primary factor that distinguishes Hyde from all other schools is our holistic approach to character development. We focus on preparing students both academically and for the challenges they will face throughout their lives.

I say, theys "holistic" awright. They rape you mind, body, AND soul. Good prep fo being a doormat, y'all hear?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »
"Unique Elements"   reminded me of wonder bread ads.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 07:46:22 PM »
Quote from: "dog's bark"
"Unique Elements"   reminded me of wonder bread ads.

Sounds like you're overly concerned with your physical well-being there, Rover, and not concerned enough about your character!!  Sounds like you might need some assistance in implementing some "formal, structured activities" -- that will "challenge [you] to confront [your] negative attitudes!"

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 11:51:15 PM »
Again, same comment as previous: they describe the negative actions first; the positive ones are almost an after thought: "...work together to address non-productive attitudes and behaviors and to recognize excellence." One could even come away with the impression that they interpret recognizing excellence as primarily one of addressing negative behaviors.

Gotta love that last pic, with the Brother's Keeper banner.

The Hyde-DC website, incidentally, is a night and day difference from last year's. One can really see the Murrell effect.

Building Character

Hyde-DC prepares its students for the challenges they will face throughout life, beyond academics. Our experience has taught us that all constituents -- students, their parents, teachers -- must strive for personal growth in order for Hyde's students to achieve it. We encourage this personal growth through three unique program elements, each of which encourages a belief system that supports strong character development.

(1) Hyde enrolls families as well as students. Parents of Hyde students commit to a partnership with the school, which includes monthly family education programs and three weekend parent meetings. Hyde parents and faculty engage in the same curriculum of personal growth that Hyde students embrace.

(2) Hyde maintains a student-centered school culture in which students have primary responsibilities for discipline and leadership. Within the framework of the Hyde philosophy, students and faculty work together to address non-productive attitudes and behaviors and to recognize excellence.

(3) Hyde students participate in a six-part curriculum - academics, sports, performing arts, leadership roles and community service -- with character development at its core. Every student is involved in all five components of school life.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »
  Hyde's unique program builds strong character 3 ways!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 12:44:41 PM »
Quote from: "cat's meow"

Via the father, the son, and somewhere or other there is a ghost.

Probably not too holy a one, I'm afraid, no matter what they claim bout "holistic approach", ha!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 07:13:33 AM »
Quote from: "Mrs. O Learys Priest"

Probably not too holy a one, I'm afraid, no matter what they claim bout "holistic approach", ha!

the father, the son, and jeff black 

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 08:28:56 AM »
Quote from: "I can recite them all"
Quote from: "Mrs. O Learys Priest"

the father, the son, and jeff black 

hey i thought that one would be the holy ghost of sumner hawley! but jeff black will do

Offline Joseph W. Gauld

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »

I've been trying my gosh-danged darndest ta get Frances Murray to make me a needlepoint seat cushion with "Brother's Keeper" worked into it... I think it would do me a bit o' justice. Cause y'all know that I sit in judgment on all y'alls character anyway, har har har!!

I yam the keeper of "Brother's Keeper,"
Joseph W. Gauld, The Educator

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
On to the next page...

Unfortunate choice for that first photo, given what has gone on at the boarding schools, lol ...although I am sure that this particular photo is entirely innocent. Perhaps Mark Murrell (of Eighty20) has spent too much time at Bath.

Standards of Excellence               

Each student at Hyde Leadership Public Charter School must commit to specific Standards of Excellence.

Standards of Community Excellence
Each student must commit to the following community standards.

• We are able to succeed or fail with dignity through valuing positive attitude and effort.
  • We confront, never support, unproductive behavior and attitudes in a timely fashion in order to help, not hurt, others.
  • We create a friendly and inviting school by warmly welcoming all guests and newcomers.
  • We will maintain a clean and neat appearance devoid of image-related clothing, jewelry, make-up and attitudes.
  • We conduct orderly and respectful gatherings where people listen, participate and speak-up.
  • We will come to class and all activities prepared and on time.
  • We will keep the school and school grounds clean and graffiti-free.

Standards of Personal Excellence
Each student must commit to the following personal standards.

I will participate in all parts of the curriculum, and reflect the goals of this community in my dress, attitude and behavior.

I will encourage others to demand the best from me while I also demand the best from them.

I will listen to others with respect and show concern for other community members.

I will seek new challenges. I will not quit.

I will share my thoughts with others and strive to develop honest, caring and responsible relationships.

I will be honest. I will not lie, cheat or steal.

I will maintain a healthy body. I will shun tobacco, alcohol and drugs.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:22:41 PM by Ursus »