Author Topic: The Difference between AARC and Kids  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Mel

• View Profile
The Difference between AARC and Kids
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:15:48 PM »
Because in other threads people are discussing the similarities between AARC and Kids, I thought I'd pass on the differences that I was told when in AARC. Here is what we were told about Kids when I was there:

Kids starved clients.

Kids didn't get to have Sunday's in the Host Homes.

There were far more clients in Kids.

Restraining was used more frequently in Raps.

Someone with a physical disability could not progress in Kids ever (while AARC had never admitted anyone with a physical disability).

AARC does not use "T.B.B" (talking behind back).

We most commonly heard about Kids via Peter S. who was a former victim of Kids then went on to become a "clinical" in AARC. He typically shared horror stories about only being fed 1 Shreddie a day, in order to make us more "grateful" for AARC. He didn't share anything about Newton or the make up of the program, and for some reason referred to it as "Kids of New Jersey" Not North Jersey or Bergan County.

AARC members believe that those forms of abuse listed above are what made Kids wrong. We were told that victims of Kids were brainwashed, but there was no mention of what that meant or how it happened, just the above abuses. AARC victims do not want to think that being overfed, being encouraged to restrain people to keep them safe, or staying up until the wee hours of the morning for Open Meeting, make AARC almost identical to Kids.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Cougar_Sean

• View Profile
Re: The Difference between AARC and Kids
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 08:00:27 PM »
I am going to repost in a miute, till then. 
the way,   you can't buy shreddies in us.    it's a Canadian product.

Scott s; could not have receieved one rationof shreddie in  new   jersey , because tthe they dont exist

Offline Mel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »
hmmm. Were we really lied to about a Shreddie? Is there an American Equivalent to a Shreddie? It has to be frosted on one side only because specifically he talked about being allowed the frosted side on a special occasion.

In the bigger picture, exactly what was the average day of food like for a Kids client? How much and how often did you eat?

Offline Cougar_Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:05:11 PM »
yes,  you were certainly lied to about a shreddie.  I never saw anyone starved in this manner.  also,  he couldn't have gotten one with frosting on one side because we were not allowed to eat any sugar.  I suspect he made the whole thing up to make kids sound alot worse than aarc. 

typical day.   cereal at host home with a squeeze of honey on it.  remember,  no sugar allowed.   hot lunch at the building.  usually like baked chicken,  rice,  peas,  a peice of fruit,  and two peices of bread.  also a glass of water.  but I learned not to drink to much water because I might not get to go to the bathroom till I got baack to the host home.  Maybe eleven or midnight.  dinner consisted of a dry meat sandwich with one package of mustard, and one of ketchup,   a cup of cooked peas, and a peice of fruit.  God I hate liverwurst.
   the host parents were to provide a snack on the way home,  traditionally a bagel.
wednesdays,  we got out early,  and sundays we went in late.   these were traditional total pig out sessions,  unless you had an ass for a oldcomer.

I was always hungry when I was in kids,  but I do no believe it was because I was underfed.  I've always thought that it was because I did not have any control over the matter.  I actually eat less now than I ever did in kids

Honestly,  most host home we got fed pretty good.

He should've told you about the sleep deprivation ,  the isolation,  the removal of identity,  and the whole coercive nature of kids.  that is what was abusive about.  but thats just what aarc does, doesn't it?

there were 150 kids in group.   there was alot of restraints and various other physical abuse.   I actually liked being restrained because you got to lie down instead of sitting ramrod on a plastic chair for fifteen hours a day.  I didn't mind being taken to the intake room and roughed up by five other phasers and staff,  again  because it got me out of group.

what I did mind was the coercive behavioral modification procedures.   that is what I have nightmares about eighteen years later.   I don't have nightmares aabout physical abuse,  not once.

It seems clear to me that  deano certainly retained the most horrific aspects of kids,  but got rid of the more obvious ones to outsiders.   how sweet