Author Topic: My account of wilderness accident at RMA [broken ankle]  (Read 5722 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
My account of wilderness accident at RMA [broken ankle]
« on: January 10, 2008, 04:50:19 AM »
Wait a minute... I thought Dr. Slaughter was the dentist in Sandpoint?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:04:47 AM »
maybe he dabbled in orthopedics in his sparetime?

Offline stina

• View Profile
Re: Dr. Slaughter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:45:15 AM »
Quote from: ""bonnevillebarbie""
I remember Dr. Slaughter... He nursed my broken coccyx from being pushed down to the ground by Duane Troy during one of the Propheets, i think the Childrens...
Talk about negligence.. its at every corner and fuzzy memory.

Duane Troy, jesus. His little sister Connie was one of my little sisters and ended up being one of my best friends there. I've never been able to find her since graduation. Anyone know what happened to the Troy's?

I never met Duane but I heard he was one mean SOB. Why the hell was he pushing you down during your childrens? I don't remember any exercises like that. Dr. Slaughter.......can you think of a more appropriate name? (that was his name right?) He's like the shady back alley doctor you go to if you're a gang member who's been shanked but can't go to a real hospital because you've got warrents. He scrubbed my head wound with what I really think was a green brillo pad (the kind we used during dish duty) after I had a bad accident at Sweitzer. First though, because he believed in humanity and non-suffering, he stuck my said head wound about 15 times with a novicaine-filled needle so that I wouldn't feel it when he used the brillo pad. I think because I was at RMA I wasn't allowed any pain killers. But he literally pulled back the skin and shoved that needle under the skin of my head numerous times. Thank god I was in shock. 15 stitches later...
I used to be Snow White but I drifted.

Offline bonnevillebarbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 09:04:56 AM »
Quote from: ""stina""
I remember Dr. Slaughter... He nursed my broken coccyx from being pushed down to the ground by Duane Troy during one of the Propheets, i think the Childrens...
Talk about negligence.. its at every corner and fuzzy memory.

Duane Troy, jesus. His little sister Connie was one of my little sisters and ended up being one of my best friends there. I've never been able to find her since graduation. Anyone know what happened to the Troy's?

I never met Duane but I heard he was one mean SOB. Why the hell was he pushing you down during your childrens? I don't remember any exercises like that. Dr. Slaughter.......can you think of a more appropriate name? (that was his name right?) He's like the shady back alley doctor you go to if you're a gang member who's been shanked but can't go to a real hospital because you've got warrents. He scrubbed my head wound with what I really think was a green brillo pad (the kind we used during dish duty) after I had a bad accident at Sweitzer. First though, because he believed in humanity and non-suffering, he stuck my said head wound about 15 times with a novicaine-filled needle so that I wouldn't feel it when he used the brillo pad. I think because I was at RMA I wasn't allowed any pain killers. But he literally pulled back the skin and shoved that needle under the skin of my head numerous times. Thank god I was in shock. 15 stitches later...

Wow, i am so sorry.  I cannot remember which propheet it was, maybe it was the Truth, but i am having a hard time piecing together solid chunks of time there.  I was up all night having dreams about people, and expeditions the way dreams can only make them, etc, .  I don't know a thing as to the whereabouts of the Troy's.  I can only imagine that their life continued on a road of various noxious institutions.  They were a poor lot, suffered much at a young age.
And i vaguley remember having to do an evacuation of someone in my peer group on my last expedition.  His name was John and have forever been trying to remember the last name.  I remember his face, and i can;t remember if it was from an injury or if he had refused to shit in the woods and got severely constipated.  I am pretty sure Dr. Slaughter administered the long ice cream sundae style spoon to his rear.
MA grad 1992

Offline stina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »
I am pretty sure Dr. Slaughter administered the long ice cream sundae style spoon to his rear.

ouch. I remember your peergroup. Was he a tall guy? Not middle eastern but something along those lines? Persian? I'm not racist BTW, but I think I know who you're talking about. I'll try to remember.

Offline bonnevillebarbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 09:30:37 AM »
I am pretty sure Dr. Slaughter administered the long ice cream sundae style spoon to his rear.

ouch. I remember your peergroup. Was he a tall guy? Not middle eastern but something along those lines? Persian? I'm not racist BTW, but I think I know who you're talking about. I'll try to remember.

Yes.  That was exactly him.  We are definitley talking about the same person.  ASS raped by a guy named Dr. Slaughter with a fucking spoon.  I wonder how he is doing after all these years, maybe eating alot of fiber in a subconcious way.... The things we do to prevent further misery and trauma.
MA grad 1992

Offline stina

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:47:03 AM »

Yes.  That was exactly him.  We are definitley talking about the same person.  ASS raped by a guy named Dr. Slaughter with a fucking spoon.  I wonder how he is doing after all these years, maybe eating alot of fiber in a subconcious way.... The things we do to prevent further misery and trauma.

you're funny. lots and lots and lots of fiber. and maybe an occasional cleanse. i can totally picture him. his name's going to come to me in some innocuous way when it doesn't matter anymore, but when it does, i'll send you a PM. you know what's funny? and maybe it's always this way for younger students looking at older students, but you (and most your peer group) really seemed to have your shit together. isn't that weird? especially now, and after seeing your myspace page, i really like you, and feel like we're on the same level. you (generally) don't feel that way at RMA. there was always this weird hierarchy.

Offline mad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »
Stina, you don't remember Duane Troy?  He and Connie were there together.  Connie was in my peer group and Duane was in the peer group above yours.  The *hit kind of hit the fan after Connie had been there about a year -- and Duane ended up fleeing and never coming back.

I don't know what happened to either of them but they are a pair that I think about periodically.  They come to mind and I wonder if they are still alive.  Theirs was a hard story.

I was allowed pain killers while I was there.  I dislocated my jaw during my 2nd month at RMA in 1990.  I had been allowed on a ski trip and I fell and dislocated my jaw.  Hurt like a mother and I couldn't close my mouth all the way.  Caroline thought I was making it up and indicted me in a rap about trying to ruin  everyone's day of skiing (if she thought I had a particular motivation for trying to ruin everyone's day, I don't remember what it was).  Anyway, I hadn't been talking to my parents at that point -- I held off contact for 7 months after I got there.  But that week I called home, told my mom what happened while skiing and and the next day I was in Spokane at a doctor.  He popped my jaw back into place, set up physical therapy, and prescribed some pain killers.  As I write this it's interesting that I called home to ask for help but then didn't pick up the phone again for 5 months.

bobbyfischer -- I remember you well and was one of the lot who helped to carry you down the mountain.  I remember how shocked I'd felt when we all found out how badly you had been hurt.  I have pictures that I took that day on the hike.  You always treated me well.

Best, M
n the road of experience...

Offline bonnevillebarbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 10:14:26 AM »
That hierarchy was on purpose, to insitute a fraudulent sense of trust and control over "out of control" (key word control) students.
But i know what you mean, it is weird.  how people your own age seemed "older".  Anyway i don't really have my shit together, i have been struggling for 15 years to get my shit together.  I am hoping by getting into the intricacies of the RMA experience and the consequences of it all over the years, i will emerge a more forgiving person to myself and move on to make a somewhat satisfying existence for myself and soon my new family.  I can tell you more via PM or myspace.
MA grad 1992

Offline mad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:18:59 AM »
John Bodine

Offline bonnevillebarbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 10:30:02 AM »
Quote from: ""mad""
John Bodine

Wow, way to go whoever you are, don't know if you remember me, Amanda Hasuly.
MA grad 1992

Offline stina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »
Quote from: ""mad""
John Bodine

god you're good

Offline mad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 10:34:19 AM »
Oops, I just realized that I shouldn't have used his full name in case he wouldn't want it used... I had meant to PM and hit respond instead....damn.... well, John, if you see this and wouldn't have wanted your name used, sorry about that.

Offline bobbyfischer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
Quote from: ""try another castle""
Wait a minute... I thought Dr. Slaughter was the dentist in Sandpoint?

He was a board certified surgeon in Coeur d'Alene.

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
el sheepp
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 03:53:25 PM »
I recently saw the bonyhard, didn't want to post his name, either, but it doesn't matter, he doesn't care..
he sends his best, I'll find his posts and repost the links here.
He was a model little brother, it turned out!

If you know his story, and you know me, you'll understand.
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange