Author Topic: WHO talks like that? Gradspeak gone wild  (Read 1835 times)

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
WHO talks like that? Gradspeak gone wild
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:09:07 PM »
Gradspeak = evidence of developmental detour.  

This is straight outta the Elan featured graduate page.
http://www.elanschool.com/featured.php

Listen to this kid.  The only people that buy this propaganda are vulnerable parents. He’ll snap out of it in 7 years. I went through the exact same process. No offense Ryan, I got nothing against you. I’m glad your life is in order now. I’m very aware that people go through struggles and need the opportunity to sort shit out. In fact I’m pointing the finger at myself. I spoke like that for a year or two after graduation. What I have a problem with is the TBS hogwash. The Dr. Phil fake talk. The requisite and repetitive use of ‘power adverbs’ . The life or death fear mongering.

What circumstances brought you to Elan?
The circumstances that led me to Elan were that I was very dishonest.   I stole from those who meant the most to me because they would forgive me and it would be okay tomorrow.   I was a 17 year old drop out with no motivation except to find the way to my nearest drug dealer.   I began to smoke marijuana and was sent to a boot camp program that I was discharged from because I couldn't stay sober.    Being home brought new feelings that I didn't know how to cope with so I found a substance that took me far away from them.   I found out that my "friends" had found new drugs, cocaine and heroin.   I sold everything that I owned and stole everything valuable to get money to get high, this continued until I was inches away from overdose.   My parents noticed me withering away and promptly took action with the local courts.

What were your relationships (family and friends) like before Elan and how have they changed as a result of coming here?  
Relationships with my family were nonexistent.   They were just the people who I lived with and the people that had money for me to steal.   My father and I never got along very much because I would always steal, lie and cheat from him.   I began to fear him and avoid him at all costs.   My mother and I, well I don't really remember us having problems because I would avoid her unless I needed something.   Now, my parents and I have a great relationship. My father and I get along great and have a wonderful relationship.   We can talk to each other about anything that is troubling without fear.   My mother and I have the best relationship that I could ever ask for and I currently work for her.   My friends before Elan were nonexistent.   I had a lot of people that I could hang out with but I never had real friends.   I was popular because I had drugs and money not because I had relationships.   Today I have TRUE friendships.   I am not the worried about being popular and I surround myself with people that have direction and goals.   I figure it is better to have 3-4 real friends than 40 people that will stab me in the back to further themselves.

How did you feel about being at Elan when you were here?  
Well when I first got to Elan I had no feelings about it.   I looked at it as a challenge to pretend so that I could get out and go back to home.   Well... Elan has a few sayings, "It all comes out in the wash" and "You can't bullshit a bullshitter."   These are truer than I could have ever expected. They saw through my act and challenged me daily to be real and attack the issues that brought me there until one day I was faced with the reality of who I was.   It was a terrible feeling.   I began to hate Elan; I started to act like I would at home, blatant disrespect and manipulative.   Then I faced my judgment day.    I remember being on the phone with my parents and they told me that I could either change my ways or I would be left in the streets of New Hampshire, and for some reason I knew this time that they were not bluffing.   From then on I began to buy into the fact that I had some issues to tackle.   That phone call changed my attitude towards Elan.   I began to value my time there, I began to act as if, I began to be grateful that I was there and I began to like being there.   How do you now feel about having been at Elan? I am grateful every moment that I am still alive because of Elan.   My "friends" at home had been turning up dead, pregnant or in jail, so I consider myself very lucky and would not trade a moment that I was in there for a moment at home.   I still call back and talk to the staff members as well as plan trips back up to the school to visit the place that SAVED my life.
Where did you go/what did you do after leaving Elan?  ?    I graduated in December of 03 only a few days before Christmas.   I was scheduled to go to college in January so I had little down time. I think I was home for all of 2 weeks and those were full of shopping for my school supplies, finding my books and just hanging out at home.   Currently I am a Marketing/Advertising major with a minor in Sociology at Monmouth College.   I will be graduating in December of 07 and am now a licensed real estate agent in Illinois.    I will be selling real estate in January and have had an immense amount of success from the skills I learned at Elan.

What skills did you learn while at Elan that have helped you in your adult life?  
The skills that I had learned are to be honest and accountable for my actions.   I know this might sound different but I have learned that if I am honest with my class work and accountable for my actions I will not make the same mistakes that I have done in the past.   I know that I am in charge of my life and I have no one to blame but me.    I have also learned to be patient, things don't happen overnight and that with continual work and effort that I can accomplish anything that I set out to do.

What is your fondest memory of your time here?
It sounds really weird but my fondest memory is thanksgiving of 2004.   I really don't know how to explain it to everyone.   It was a time when there were drastic changes going on in my life.   I belonged, I had a seat that was mine, I had   relationships that I will have for the rest of my life and I was clean, honest, and respected.
What advice would you offer to parents considering Elan for their child?   This is not a short term program.   You must commit yourself to the program just as much as you expect your children to commit to it.   There are going to be changes made on both your side as well as your child's side.    If you love your child and would like to them to be a productive member of your family and not destructive to themselves then this is the place for them.   But remember, THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE EASY FOR YOU.   Have a little blind faith.    

What advice would you offer to a student just entering Elan?  This is going to be the most difficult time in your life.   It is not going to be comfortable by any means. You are going to have feelings arise that you never even knew about.   You are going to not like it here in the beginning, get over it and talk to people that are there and ask them how they got over it.   The faster that you just let your guard down and be honest, the quicker you will be on your way to making drastic changes, changes that you might not even have known that you are capable of.

Do you still think about Elan?
Yes.   I still talk to the students that I was there with and I also talk to the staff.   I am also a contact for parents that are iffy on sending their children to Elan so I think of my stay there often.

Where is your Elan diploma?
Well it was on the wall in my parents' house., but it will soon be on the wall in my own house.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?
If you are serious about changing the direction of your son or daughter's life, this is the place for them. There is no chance that I would have accomplished what I have if it was not for them.   They change lives and save them daily.   They are the real deal!

Is there anything your mother /father would like to add?  
I once had a client tell me a story that I remember to this day & share often.  It is about our children & goes like this:  "We as parents do not build the bridge to our children's future, our children do.  So if your child's bridge looks like Indiana Jones's Temple of Doom - that is the bridge they have chosen to build.  We as parents are not meant to be the rungs upon which our children tread - but to be the hand rails - for them to reach for in times of need.  We are not meant to save them."

Ryan's Mother
These words were spoken to me at a time I felt I had no more to give & no hope left.  The more I gave, the more I forgave, the harder I tried - the worse things got.  I discovered in myself a well so deep it was bottomless, there was nothing I would not do to save my child.  Yet of all the people in the world - it became crystal clear to me, that I alone could not save him.  I had to have the faith & courage to trust & let go.  
I let go.
It is not easy to watch someone you love struggle with painful life & death issues. I held onto the knowledge that of all the places Ryan could be at this time in his life, he was safe.  With all the struggles & challenges he confronted I knew he was in the perfect place to handle it, manage it & move on.  Life rarely gives you an opportunity to evaluate your life/decisions or to have in your corner the support of adults & peers every step of the way.
Change takes time, energy & effort - on everyone's part.  Ryan did not walk this journey on his own.  We all grew personally from this experience.  Looking back, I have no guilt or regrets.  I know I gave all I had to give and if I had to do it once again, I would not change a thing.  
I've always thought that if you were a great parent you'd have great kids.  However, what I have learned is great kids sometimes don't have the best parents & that you KNOW you are a great parent when you have a challenging child.  I believe ALL my children were born into the perfect family, our family.  And I was chosen to be the one for them & they were chosen to be the ones for me.
As a parent, I am so full of gratitude toward everyone at Elan.  I know that here, in this school, the course of many lives have been forever altered.  And I am blessed to be the parent of a young man whose life's choices inspire me daily.  I am very proud of you Ryan.

Karlin gets a BMW, counselors get bread crumbs, graduates get brainwashed and your retirement savings goes down the drain
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »
Why would it take 7 years? That seems like a long time.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 12:56:25 PM »
Approximately 7.

I never said a bad word about CEDU for about that long. I only gave them props.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
talk
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 01:09:09 PM »
I believe ALL my children were born into the perfect family, our family.

Perfect Family? now that's just damn scary.

some of the pyschobabble program talk presented to us:

"she needs to come clean"

"she is working so hard at her tasks she's not confronting her 'real' issues"

"she's avoiding the truth"

"this 'journey you're on'"

"clearly the Mother has emeshment problems"

"clearly the child has deifant-disorder"

and my favorite

"on your first visit, expect her to manipulate with lies about how we treat the students here"

she was out of there less than 3 weeks later.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:21:38 PM »
Thank you for sharing.

It's important to hear the smokescreens they used with parents and the parents side of the story.

On this note...

Using Dr. Phil speak 24/7 is not evidence of 'therapy in progress'.

In fact, therapy without Dr. Phil speak is probably some of the best therapy possible. As in a real, caring friend. Not a program

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 01:31:20 PM »
Quote from: ""dishdutyfugitive""
Approximately 7.

I never said a bad word about CEDU for about that long. I only gave them props.

Cedu seems to be very good at brainwashing. I never became pro prgoram to that extant. But I beleived my program "helped me" because it was constant torture and an eventual death sentance, and, in a sick stockholm syndrom way, i thought it was good that my parents "could set limits" by executing me if I didn't please the,

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »
Reminds me of some of the WWASP propaganda I came across. One piece features a girl who had just graduated from the program, and quoted her as saying: "I am now at peace with myself. I sparkle with freedom and confidence". Wtf?

Another had a girl who's locked up at TB pictured hugging one of the Jamaican workers, and quoting her as saying, "Ms. (whatever) is like a second mother to me. She's there for me whenever I need her. She's the one who restrains me". Another big Wtf. I'll see if I can dig 'em up.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 02:20:02 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Reminds me of some of the WWASP propaganda I came across. One piece features a girl who had just graduated from the program, and quoted her as saying: "I am now at peace with myself. I sparkle with freedom and confidence". Wtf?

Another had a girl who's locked up at TB pictured hugging one of the Jamaican workers, and quoting her as saying, "Ms. (whatever) is like a second mother to me. She's there for me whenever I need her. She's the one who restrains me". Another big Wtf. I'll see if I can dig 'em up.

It is because you are not use to it.  Most of the stories that you hear are probably from fornits.  If the kids who benefit from the program were to listen to stories here on fornits they would probably react the same way as you do to them.
Your frame of references are different thats all.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »
While looking around for the pieces I mentioned in my earlier post, I came across this little nauseating... thing.

A program parent speaks:

"BRAINWASHING - A process of
systematically, forcibly, and intensively
indoctrinating a person to destroy or weaken
his beliefs and ideas, so that he becomes
willing to accept different or opposite beliefs
and ideas. (The World Book Dictionary)
My daughter, Mallory, had beliefs that she
was unworthy of anyone's love, could not
be successful in school, was not a beautiful
young woman, did not have anything worth
living for, drugs were her friend, and so on
and so on!!
We are anticipating PC4 in a few weeks
and Mallory is full of life, ready to move on
with her life, thankful for the loving people
at Horizon who have helped her to see how
worthy, successful, and beautiful she is. If
that is brainwashing, which the definition
says it is, THEN BRAINWASH HER!!!!
Everything her Dad and I tried did not work.
We needed a little BRAINWASHING
ourselves!! We are now Keyholders and
staffing seminars and loving every minute of
it. We were at the brink of divorce two years
ago and now we are connected in such an
intimate way, one that was never there before
in 30 years of marriage. WE'VE BEEN
BRAINWASHED!!
I firmly believe that our commitment
to our program is crucial in Mallory's
commitment to her program. We have all
worked hard to reunite our family. I would
like to see the statistics on the "Anti-school"
group to see how many of those kids and
parents completed their programs. When
it got tough, how many dropped out of the
program and pulled their kids?
It is almost laughable, if it weren't so sad,
that a person would rather put their time
and energy into condemning a program they
never really gave an effort to work, instead of
looking at themselves and their non-working
family and giving it a try.
I prayed for something to come into
our lives that would help all of us when
Mallory started making choices that were
endangering her future and her life. I am
thankful I went into this program without
researching every blog or thing that a negative parent had to say. I guess ignorance
is bliss. I only researched what parents, who
stuck with the program, had to say.
I will leave you with this, Mallory's contract,
her purpose, and her values:
"I am a beautiful, honest, intelligent, and
caring young woman!
My purpose is to let my beauty shine, while
teaching others to live in their excellence!
I value family, integrity, communication, love,
respect, and sobriety!
BRAINWASHED!! You bet!!"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 02:39:13 PM »

It is because you are not use to it.  Most of the stories that you hear are probably from fornits.  If the kids who benefit from the program were to listen to stories here on fornits they would probably react the same way as you do to them.
Your frame of references are different thats all.

It's because I know the reality that lies behind those statements. I know that these girls, and many other kids, were abused and tortured to force them to think the way they do.

They sound so detached and out of it. "I sparkle with freedom and confidence"? Do you know anyone, teen or adult, who talks like that? That girl is so deep in the program land, she uses program-speak when talking about herself, which is just sad.

And the second girl idolizes a woman who physically abuses her (in case you forgot what "restraint" means at TB). Which is disturbing and indicates that the girl has developed Stockholm Syndrome or some other attachment-to-abuser disorder.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 03:35:10 PM »
Here's one from Hyde.  Hyde practices psychology without psychologists.  In fact, most times not even using adults.  To graduate or to progress to the next grade level (at the higher levels) requires approval of the Senior Leadership, i.e., other kids, pro-Hyde kids, very pro-Hyde kids.  Think of Lord of The Flies, sans the tropical island.

Quote from: ""blove82""
So after reading a lot of what has been said about Hyde on this forum, I'm finding myself a quite frustrated. I understand that I graduated 7 years ago, and a lot has changed since I left. I was there for 5 long years, I understand more than anyone the hell that Hyde can be. I will say this though, and it seems to be something that has been forgotten, Hyde is not supposed to be fun, it never was. The whole point of the school is to challenge yourself, and learn more about the person you can be.
When I arrived at Hyde, I was 15 years old and I was a spoiled brat that whined and cried to get her way. They fixed me of that, it took a lot of people getting in my face, being confronted about it almost daily, they confronted my parents and got them to stop babying me. It sucked, I hated them for it, they had ruined my little manipulation schemes. Looking back now, I am thankful for what they did, it helped me to be the person I am today. Also, I am eternally grateful to my parents for not having me attend the local high schools in my area. I would be a completely different person than I am today, and that person is not someone I would like to be.
I am the first person to admit that Hyde wasn't fun at all. If it was fun, you weren't doing something right, and that sucked.... When people ask me if boarding school was fun, that's usually the response I give them.
I have lifelong friendships from Hyde, I grew and learned a lot about myself. I learned a lot mainly from the other students there. You don't need a Psychology or Psychiatry degree to help someone, all that matters is that you care and are speaking from experience. I don't know how things are there now, but when I was there they weren't brainwashing you as everyone claims they do. They want you to live by their standards of character while you are there, and hopefully when you leave you will take those standards on as your own. It's hard to do in the real world, I struggled with it for a very long time, and still do. The whole point though is that they are showing you the ideal. If everyone lived to the same set of standards, we would have far less problems. Taking Hyde's standards and applying them to the real world is very hard, but what in life is actually easy.
I know that a large majority of graduates fail again before they succeed. I know I did, it takes awhile to see what Hyde was trying to tell you. It takes awhile to realize that it does make sense, and you can actually apply it to your life. I learned so much about who I can be and who I want to be. I want my life to have a purpose, I want honesty, humility, integrity, and all of those things to matter in my life, and they do. They all play a role in the selection of friends, if I can't trust someone then I can't be friends with them. I'm getting a little off topic here. I guess what I am trying to say is that Hyde was never easy, it had it's fun moments but those are mainly the memories I have of spending time with my friends. Hyde cannot reprogram your child or you. Whether or not it takes, or works with your life is completely up to you. I never believed the school when they said as long as one side gets it, whether it�s the parents or the student, eventually everyone will come around. But it is true, I was very bitter when I graduated Hyde, I didn't believe that anything I learned there could ever help me. It took a long time for me to figure out why I was unhappy with my life, and it ultimately came down to the fact that I wasn't living my life to any standards of character.

I guess what it all comes down to is that Hyde isn't the miracle cure, the quick fix, or going to cause a definite amazing transformation. It takes time and work, and people need to understand this. If it doesn't work right away that doesn't mean it will never work. It's not easy, but nothing worthwhile in life is easy. Everything takes work. I just hope that people do understand and are willing to admit that they are things you learn at Hyde that do actually help you. It's just whether or not you choose to allow it to affect your life positively or negatively. We can all look at our experiences at Hyde and pick out the negative aspects, that's the easy part. The hard part is looking inside yourself, and admitting that at one point in time you were a person that you weren't proud of. And whether or not Hyde played a major part in your change, if you attended the school, then it played some part in helping you grow as a person.

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=21721
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 04:05:45 PM »
Yup.

Think lord of the flies meets Abu Grave naked iraqi prison pyramids meets Dr. Phil meets Dr. Laura Schlesenger meets Jim Jones.

Then, and only then do you have a swarm of incompetents who claim they can heal those in need of real help.

Then when shit goes down and there is a suicide on their hands they don't take responsibility in any form. They don't publicly acknowledge that they mistakenly admitted him because they prefer tuition checks over valid assements.

The first sign of a person/organization with character is that they candidly admit their mistakes. They make their processes transparent. They focus on the long-term. They don't make you walk away scratching your head wondering if 2 + 2 still equals 4.

Oooooops - looks like the TBS industry is 0 for 4. I guess you get used to those numbers in the bush league.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 04:09:29 PM »
^
|
|
| Dishduty (forgot to login).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 03:18:31 AM »
self betrayal and demaning public self denunciation rebranded as growth

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 09:22:33 AM »
self betrayal and demaning public self denunciation rebranded as growth

Well said.

How it becomes bonafide evidence of Therapy in progress is beyond me.

You know which people have their shit together? The humble ones who lead by example and let their actions do the talking. The ones who don't need slick brochures. The ones who don't need 800 numbers so you can call in and pay for Tammy Faye Baker's god awful makeover.  The ones who don't beat the Dr. Phil drum.

Quality people. Guardian angels....Why am I thinking of Creasy bear from "Man on Fire".

I'd hang out with Creasy bear every day of the week.  The only way that movie could have been better is if Creasy bear had kicked Dr. Phil in the nuts.