Author Topic: What do protests actually accomplish?  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What do protests actually accomplish?
« on: December 19, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »
Other than making the participants feel empowered and have some fun, what impact does a small one or two person protest make?

Are there more effective ways to get the media's attention, because I am saving up to protest but this is a one shot deal, if I can spend my money in a better way, I will.

IS it even worth it to protest? I don't have a need to 'get back at programs' because I am angry, I just want to inform parents who are the ones who don't want to hurt their kid. The parents who want to hurt their kid through ignorance or hate, well, you can't really help them.

I was thinking. There has got to be a better way to spend my time and money, both of which I have very little of, to get some people's attention, other than standing in a snow packed gutter somewhere with a sign that no one will see , maybe than a few staff taking the road into program.

It also makes me really question how passionately I am "against programs", since I just don't really care that much anymore about people I don't know which I guess happens as you get older.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 04:00:46 PM »
I would think that protesting does make a difference no matter how many are doing the protesting. As long as the kids that are inside the building know that you are there and that you are fighting for their rights, you will make a difference.

I also would think that if you call all of the media outlets that you can think of as well as all of the talk shows (ie: Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc...) and gain their interest, you may well make a hell of an impact if it actually goes national.

Just my $.02
quot;Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets, the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show.\"

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don\'t always agree with them. - George Bush

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 04:01:53 PM »
Quote from: ""jjpinks""
as well as all of the talk shows (ie: Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc...) and gain their interest, you may well make a hell of an impact if it actually goes national.

Just my $.02

Dr. Phil and Oprah send kids to programs.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 04:03:32 PM »
Has Oprah sent a kid to a program?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 04:03:48 PM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
as well as all of the talk shows (ie: Dr. Phil, Oprah, etc...) and gain their interest, you may well make a hell of an impact if it actually goes national.

Just my $.02

Exactly why you should contact them and let them know what it's like "on the other side". They need to hear our voices and know that we were not helped by their programs. ALSO, it would help other parents hear us as well.

Like I said, just a thought.
quot;Of course life is bizarre, the more bizarre it gets, the more interesting it is. The only way to approach it is to make yourself some popcorn and enjoy the show.\"

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don\'t always agree with them. - George Bush

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 04:05:02 PM »
As long as the kids that are inside the building know that you are there and that you are fighting for their rights, you will make a difference.

Maybe so.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 04:05:37 PM »

Just my $.02

Exactly why you should contact them and let them know what it's like "on the other side". They need to hear our voices and know that we were not helped by their programs. ALSO, it would help other parents hear us as well.

I hear ya, but they just don't give a shit.  Hell, there's a thread right now about Dr. Phil and Pathways

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=24516

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 04:07:38 PM »

Just my $.02

I hear ya, but they just don't give a shit.  Hell, there's a thread right now about Dr. Phil and Pathways

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=24516

Yeah, I read that, sad sack of shit that he is. Anyway, I digress...
like I said, even if they are for programs, have they actually taken the time (like Montel) to sit down and talk to people 10, 20, even 30 years after they were in the program to see how it impacted their lives, good or bad? I think that they may be interested in the protests, could be good for ratings ya know?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 04:08:39 PM »
Yeah see that is kind of my point, maybe it would be more beneficial use of time and money to protest Oprah or Dr Phil studios or protest in a studio audience that is a program on troubled teens?  

The programs I was in had secluded windows and they would tell us constantly not to look at things they didn't want us to see and hand out severe consequence if anyone did look, and then put them on silence so they couldn't tell their friends.

Should I spend my time looking into protesting Oprah, maybe that would get more attention than a rural program ? What do you guys think, does a small protest help much or is there better things to do that get way more attention?

I promise if I choose to kill myself in my life, I will do it in a protest, like lighting myself on fire with gasoline in front of the white house or something, at least that would get attention.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »

like I said, even if they are for programs, have they actually taken the time (like Montel) to sit down and talk to people 10, 20, even 30 years after they were in the program to see how it impacted their lives, good or bad? I think that they may be interested in the protests, could be good for ratings ya know?

I hope you're right, I really do.  I just haven't seen it yet.  But then again, more light is being shed on them so there's always the possibility the tide will turn.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 04:13:54 PM »

I hope you're right, I really do.  I just haven't seen it yet.  But then again, more light is being shed on them so there's always the possibility the tide will turn.

When pigs fly. Their M.O. is more geared toward program thinking (to put it succinctly).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 04:14:40 PM »
Might want to consider hitting up the news studios. National news and the Today show, etc, have areas set up where regular people can make signs that get shown behind the hosts. Make a few signs, head up to NYC and stand behind the news studios  with a website address or something.

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »
Now there is a great idea!

Offline jjpinks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 04:19:22 PM »
OR maybe if enough people contact him about these programs, it may open a door. Never know....

http://http://www.drphil.com/plugger/respond/?plugID=9164

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 10:02:48 PM »
There are a few good reasons to protest.  One is to bring program abuse & abusers into the limelight.  Another is to remind the prisoners that they are not forgotten.  Remind the staff that they are accountable, and do not have free reign to harm others.

There's an old story about a little girl picking up starfish off the shore that have washed up in a storm.  A man sees her picking them up and tossing them back in the ocean.  He asks her why she's even bothering...she can't possibly make a difference...silently she picks another starfish up & tosses it into the ocean and says, "I made a difference to that one."
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca