Author Topic: Would you have called the police over this?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Would you have called the police over this?
« on: December 04, 2007, 09:32:03 AM »
I'm standing there in my apt. building hallway with my dog, waiting for the elevator when my neighbor opens her door and her pittbull runs down the hall and attacks my dog.

So, the owner runs over, pulls her pitt off my dog, apologizes and puts her dog back in. My dog was fine. No cuts, no blood - just some slobber on his fur.

The next morning I go to the manager's office to complain which seemed like a big deal to me cuz I've been here a long time and I've never complained about anyone before. The manager REAMED me for not calling 911 when it happened. She said, "What Is The Matter With You!!"

She was completely nasty and acted like she thought I had an I.Q. of about 10. I hadn't even thought of calling the police. If I'd have called anyone it would've been animal control.

Am I an idiot? Is it really obvious that people are supposed to call the police over this sort of thing?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:53:14 PM »
No you're not an idiot.  The apartment manager is.  There's no reason to get the police involved, especially since your dog wasn't hurt.

Fucking nanny state mentality.
 ::noway::
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 01:42:53 PM »
I agree with Anne. No reason at all to call the cops. I know it must have scared you badly, but I wonder if this can fairly be called an attack? I wonder if the other dog was wanting to play? I once had a boxer that would act like she was murdering her playmates - growling and snarling - made a terrible racket - but never put a mark on them. It was just how she played. I would guess if a pit bull actually meant to attack another dog, there would have been some injury - even death. They usually don't need but a split second to kill another dog, if it isn't another pit bull.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 02:17:34 PM »
I would refrain from calling the cops. No harm was done and the woman apologised. Surely at any rate they would not come?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 02:24:35 PM »
1. I'd tell that owner the next time he loses control of his dog it's game on. What the fuck is a pit bull doing living in an apartment. Socks first then shoes. If you own a dog you need a yard. They're animals not substitute children.

2. The apartment manager is just covering his ass. Should some shit go down and he has to answer to his bosses he'll be blamed for not being aware of and handling 'important' issues.
It's the same old story folks - money money money. The apartment owners don't want a lawsuit so they put heat on the apartment manager to nip everything in the bud.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
Quote from: ""dishdutyfugitive""
1. I'd tell that owner the next time he loses control of his dog it's game on. What the fuck is a pit bull doing living in an apartment. Socks first then shoes. If you own a dog you need a yard. They're animals not substitute children.

:tup:

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 05:38:52 PM »
shake and bake my friend

Offline hurrikayne

• View Profile
Dalmatian
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 12:57:41 AM »
A. since I'm severely inebriated, this post will not likely make sense in the first place...
adn 2. I had this beautiful Dalmatian....I'm typing soooo slow it's ridiculousl but B. This dude, who was landscaping for the military base that I lived on at the time...came to my door one day and asked me what kind of dog I had...this, after my awesome dog had darted out the door, circled said dude and wandered back inside the house uninterestedly...sooooo I told him the Dalmatian was it.  He said, and I quote here "My Mexican's are afraid of him.  I thought you  must have a pitt bull."  I told him, nope.  Dumbasss.

C. That's it.  Did I have a point?
"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can\'t be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. " - Lee Iacocca

Offline gabbygirl88

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 03:45:38 PM »
if your neighbor's pitbull was seriously attacking your dog, there would have been no simple breaking it up.  it would have been a bad scene.  so maybe the dogs were just checking eachother out, and it may have been shocking to see the other dog appearing to be aggresive...but as long as your dog isn't all freaked out, and he's obviously not hurt, then things seem fine.  
there just might be another reason why the landlord wanted you to call the cops....some liability issues if that dog really was going to attack.  just use caution if you see that dog again. :)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 09:16:42 PM »

so agree! you should see people here in manhattan. theres people who own labradors, german shepherds, huskys, even st bernards and keep them in their apartment, and just walk them 1-2 times a day. it's sad and cruel. imagine a big dog sharing a 500sqft space with a human 35 stories up. and unlike mini-dog owners, the people who own the big dogs tend to not pick up the dog's shit when they go on the sidewalk or park. i've seen a st. bernard take a shit on the path in strawberry fields in central park...and then the owner walked off like it's not her problem. big fucking 12"x3" turd right next to the john lennon memorial. i wanted to strangle her.

about the original problem......no dont call the cops. thats the sissy-nanny  thing to do. get a taser, use it on the pitbull. and dont forget - dogs are not immune to kicks. next time that pitbull charges at you or your dog, imagine it's head is a soccer ball. it may try to bite your kicking foot...but if you hit it's face hard enough and you're wearing half-decent shoes, you'll be fine.
 i've done it dozens of times. years ago i lived in a suburban area with a real nasty german shepherd who would chase me on my bike whenever i rode by. so one day, i took a walk, and as soon as it charged, i kicked it in the face as hard as i could. i knocked it down, and it looked like it just got angry.  so i punched it in the nose, and immediately it started whimpering away, and then i kicked it between it's hind legs as it was going away. i was 12 at the time. the owner complained to the cops, the cops came to see me, and they were amazed and gave me kudos and told the complaining owner to shut up and train his dog to not attack people.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 10:52:18 PM »
12x3x5 (tall) right?

I was in Manhattan and went to that dog day care center (spontaneous mandated girlfriend activity).

I couldn't believe it. An indoor pool, the whole 9 yards. The visit paid off for me because I was talking to 1 employee said she lived in a 500 square ft apartment with her husband, a boa, 2 dogs, a cat and something other bizarre reptile. I was laughing my ass off.

Pit bulls jaws, once locked, can barely be pried apart with a specially designed stick made just for that occasion. I'd go with the tazer. I'd kick only if it was my last option.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 06:58:53 AM »
I have a sure fire solution for pitbulls and small apartments. Let them have the apartment and the people sleep on the roof. Safer that way in the end.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 07:45:09 AM »
:rofl:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 01:27:11 PM »
12x3x5 (tall) right?

I was in Manhattan and went to that dog day care center (spontaneous mandated girlfriend activity).

I couldn't believe it. An indoor pool, the whole 9 yards. The visit paid off for me because I was talking to 1 employee said she lived in a 500 square ft apartment with her husband, a boa, 2 dogs, a cat and something other bizarre reptile. I was laughing my ass off.

Pit bulls jaws, once locked, can barely be pried apart with a specially designed stick made just for that occasion. I'd go with the tazer. I'd kick only if it was my last option.

12 inches long by 3 inches thick. like human turds after thanksgiving.

oh yeah theres tons of day care centers for cats/dogs in NY. there's a few cat/dog solons too. people spoil their poodels alot. it's pathetic.

I know alot of people who keep birds, parrots especially. I cant imagine living in an apartment with a macaw. Every so often you see signs like "escaped rare bird - generous reward" posted everywhere. Imagine seeing a big red macaw flying around central park.... From what i hear the escaped birds mingle with the pidgeons untill the fall when they freeze to death because they dont know how to migrate.

in my opinion the only animals suited to a city environment would be cats, small rodents (not ferrets), and very very small dogs. nothing else. It's also pretty sad to see horses riding around in the city. cops use them, theres tourist horse&carriage rides, and if you're really rich you can rent stable space for your own horse in midtown, and ride around certain areas of the city. a few months ago a horse with a carriage in tow got spooked by traffic and went bezerk, then ran out of control for a few blocks untill it was hit by a car.

ooo...i didnt know that thing about pitbulls. so yeah....X the kick idea. go with a Taser. If this happens outside, you could also use bear spray. just dont use it indoors.

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 12:49:29 AM »
while we're on the topic

I think zoo's are really fucked up.