Author Topic: Thirteen Moons  (Read 1410 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Thirteen Moons
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »
I'd like to suggest: "Thirteen Moons" by Charles Frazier.

If you've not yet read it, you may want to get a copy and dig in. It has to do with the Cherokee nation in the Carolina Smokies, and how a small group managed to resist the Government's efforts to send them on the trail of tears.

It is also a story of friendship and enmity, love and hate.

It is so wonderfully crafted, beautifully written, that IMO it rises to the level of fine art. I personally feel the author is writing what will one day be recognized as great American Literature. His books (Cold Mountain and Thirteen Moons) rise well above the rank and classification of popular novel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thirteen Moons
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 12:06:15 PM »
true story or fiction?

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Thirteen Moons
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:43:15 PM »
Its what you'd call Historical fiction.
The history is true. The people are a product of the author's imagination - perhaps loosely based on real persons, who left journals and letters behind. I believe I recall the author saying as much - but I'd have to go back and review what he wrote about this to be sure. I'll do that later. . . Right now, I have to take my son to work.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Thirteen Moons
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 10:57:54 AM »
In the epilog the author is very clear the book is a work of fiction. He does comment that the main character is not a historical figure - altho they share DNA - what ever that might mean.  And he explains that in one major event - there is a great deal of controversy as to what actually happened - and no doubt what happen, was nothing like what he wrote.  

I had thought I remembered reading  where he explained the use of letters and diaries were used in research for the book -  Maybe I read an interview somewhere - or maybe I dreamed it.