Author Topic: The good old days - RMA's Website in 1996  (Read 1424 times)

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
    • http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The good old days - RMA's Website in 1996
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »
GROAN. I opened the cedu one and quickly found a picture of myself....at least I think it's me....can't tell for certain because the picture is awful quality.
Ugh.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:32:48 PM »
THE CEDU STORY

More than 30 years ago, a successful merchant in Palm Springs, California initiated a conversation with the youth of his community. This conversation continues today and is the core of CEDU's emotional growth philosophy.

In 1966, CEDU founder, Mel Wasserman, noticed a growing population of young men and women gathering on the steps of the Palm Springs Public Library. Casualties of the "tune in, turn on and drop out" movement, these young people were clearly alienated and disengaged.

Mel's compassion and curiosity were stirred and he began to talk with these youth as he passed them on his lunch breaks. He discovered that they hungered for connection and were eager to share their passions, opinions and feelings. Mel offered his home as a forum for what he sensed these young people needed most - a safe place to connect and be heard. Mel invited the group for coffee and conversation on the condition that they respect his home, come clean and sober, help with the preparation of food and clean-up, and refrain from violent or destructive behavior.

Within a short time, the Wasserman home was packed several times a week with thirty or more young people eager to participate in these open conversations or "raps." Mel saw the profound need for a safe haven for many of these young people that would go beyond these evening visits.

In 1967, Mel sold his business and purchased a ranch near Riverside, California. This was the beginning of his vision to create a place where young men and women could find value in community, work and relationship. He believed that education included helping children find themselves in the educational process, not get lost in it. The term "CEDU" was created to reflect a guiding principle: "See and Do" or "See yourself as you are and do something with it."

Wow.... I mean, just fucking wow!

You know, I always used to doubt that origin story, and it's obvious that it's withholding vital information, but after reading this again, I'm seeing it in a whole new light.

This history, or at least what we are seeing of it, is most likely true.

Why?

Because it is the quintessential template for the beginning of a full-blown cult.

A guru takes alienated recruits into his home, indoctrinates them, and then forms a compound for them all to retreat to, and recruit new members. Remember how the old cedu survivor a few days ago posted about how they used to have to go and fundraise for the program?

Looking at it this way, there is also the possibility that he sincerely did have good intentions.... at first. Then, like all good cult leaders, he succumbed to greed and power. This is all pure speculation, of course. But I'm willing to bet the farm that I am right.

Another interesting tidbit of information/proof, which perfectly exemplifies that Mel may have not ended up believing his own ideology in the end...

A prior staff told me about the "here forever" staff workshop, which took place in 1989, while I was there. Like the I&Me, there were a few pre-workshops before the big one. In one of them, Mel, sitting in his chair, bellows "We plant our sword! Here forever!" and he makes a fist and brings down his arm, pretending to thrust a sword into an imaginary stone.Then he nonchalantly stands up... mimes to grab the hilt and yank the sword out, turns his back, and says "...until we take it out."

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 10:52:44 PM »
Word!

Tell me a better way to start a cult.....

Offline dishdutyfugitive

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 01:29:54 AM »
Word!

Tell me a better way to start a cult.....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:55:09 PM »
i can tell you about the connection between synanon and cedu is that mel came out of synanon and wanted money and power and cedu is what he used to get it. when i was there they said that cedu was jonestown without the kool aid and they did not care that kids would die after they left they would blame the kid saying he was troubled before he got there investigate cascade school in whitmore,ca it was run by michael allgood and others who were followers of mel. he would cut and run whenever there was a student revolt and there was one and they shut down for good. when he does not get his way he blames the students and takes the money and runs or buries it in the ground in the woods and changes his hiding place if he thinks someone is watching

mel wasserman who scammed the brown schools out of 60 million by selling them cedu and remaining as consultants when they knew the place could not legally turn a profit but legal was only something mel cared about when he sue his victims and there parents
thats right if you said anything you were sued and that includes staff. it was to scare you he never went to court because he hated the negative publicity.