Author Topic: Ethics  (Read 737 times)

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Ethics
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:11:08 PM »
We've touched on the issue of ethics a bit recently, and I've been reading the NAP Ethical Guidelines.  The preamble is an eye opener, and it gets even more interesting if you take the time to read the whole thing.  http://www.nap.vcu.edu/ethics.htm

The rationale for these positions derives from a patient or consumer-focused value, that has remained constant in the historical evolution of Western ethics, is reiterated in contemporary health professional codes of ethics and can be found in current regulatory statements such as the Patient Rights Standards of the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Health professionals must refrain from subordinating the patient's welfare to economic mandates thereby potentially creating an incursion on the patient's rights. The fiduciary role of the provider must be balanced with the patient's needs.[/i]

...Which is why I've always had a problem with adolescent mental health care being referred to as an "industry".  Industries expect to grow, so in order for the troubled teen industry to expand they have to acquire more raw material to process and churn out, like a Chinese production line.  The raw material is our kids, and to increase the industry's growth more kids will be labeled with hoodoo, pop psychology-quack diagnoses, turning adolescence itself into a mental illness.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"