Author Topic: LGATs - Large Group Awareness Training  (Read 10048 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: LGATs - Large Group Awareness Training
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
My wife went to an LGAT and I know several people who have gone to AA meetings.  These meetings are not abusive at all.  I think everyone is making way too big a deal out of going to meetings.  I am sure someone was verbally assaulted in an AA meeting at some point or LGAT and that is why everyone here is up in arms about them, but believe me they are mostly very tame.

The drill here on fornits sometimes is if one person had a bad experience than they assume every AA meeting is abusive.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 09:47:22 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
My wife went to an LGAT

'splains a lot

The drill here on fornits sometimes is if one person had a bad experience than they assume every AA meeting is abusive.

No, the similarities between AA and programs are such that it gives us the creeps BIG time.  Worship Bill W ("Dr." Newton/Dean Vause/Helen Peterman etc. etc.), follow these steps or you'll DIE! (in our case 7 condensed out of the original AA 12) Teaching people that they're powerless, when they're far from it.  And don't even get me started on how dangerous it is to give one person (sponsor) so much control over someone else's life (oldcomer/newcomer - group).
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 02:59:33 AM »
Well that and AA meetings are just fuckin depressing,seriously, I tried to sit thru an AA meeting like 2 yrs ago and I was 20 times more depressed when I cut out (early, thus the tried). It was all I resent this and poor me and my disease. and then IM POWERLESS.......bout the my mind began to revolt.....im tring not to blurtsome shit out...I just caved in and left, Ithought it best. Now I know people socially who go to AA regularly and I dont shit on em for it, to me thats like kickin somebody when they're down( hey, im an asshole,not a fuckin asshole)  It,meaning that school of thought aint for me.
But if you think its doin something for you,thats helping you get where you want to go...fine. From what ive seen LGAT stuff in like ponzi-schemeish, televangalistic,rah-rah bullshit. :nods:
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline lifeboat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 03:06:05 AM »
LGAT

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31368#p383032

" The lifeboat experience was very hard for me. I would never wish for anyone in my peer group to die. This experience made me very sad. I would never want to say goodbye to friends if I were dying. I did not like to sort out in my head whether people should die or not. I have a special compassion for people. I don't believe that anyone should have to die. When I had to say goodbye to people like my grandmothers, sister, brother, friends, and put a rose on my mother's grave and one on my father's grave, it shows how much I love people. I was also thinking about Shiela's little girl when I went around to her, I don't like thinking like that at all. I began to think that when the boat was drowning it is was my turn to go to sleep and wonder if my mother felt this way when she died. I now understand her, I think just from experiencing this exercise. This exercise is a very important lesson because it teaches me that I have to tell people how much I love them. I felt small when I was done sharing for one minute why I think I should live. Because I kept on babbling the same thing over a few times. There should have been more reasons why I should live - why I felt small."

Offline d!not

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2011, 03:37:58 AM »
this is absolutely eye opening.  I went through a LGAT training in dallas texas, none other than Discovery Training, about 2 and 1/2 years ago.  I was persuaded by a close friend to go through the training, since i was going through some rough times in my life.  I was able to finish the program, and to tell you the truth, I was a fan of it.  I had given the program my all.  However, shortly after finishing, I realized that my situation was not changing.  Despite my efforts, my regurgitation of everything I had learned "Discovery!", the only thing I had "discovered" was that I had not changed one bit, that those who I was trying to win back had not changed, and the useless tactics which I had trained so diligently on for 3 months actually did more harm than good.  I did gain some friends, most superficial.  I "discovered" that although I had been completely honest about my problems to the entire group, others had not.  One was even currently awaiting sentencing for child molestation (!!!!!!), which of course, was not shared in "the group".  Needless to say, I spiraled into a severe depression, and watched several others do the same.  I soon realized that Discovery! LLC did not give a damn about me, or really anyone else involved.  They were serving the almighty dollar.  The powers that ran the organization had a close knit faction, posse, clique, whatever you wanted to call it, that took their word as gospel (perhaps i cross the line there....but hear me out).  I refuse to name specific names, but I KNOW how these guys operate.  If you in any way shape or form disagree with any minute piece of the training, you are either cast aside as a "non-believer", OR coaxed into "trusting the system".  
I have read several posts on post LGAT participants that had the same reaction.  Deep, dark, depression, and a whole passel of people telling you that you just were not living your "mission".  Bogus, sorry, life is sometimes just a kick in the pants.  You need to find something more concrete than a training with misleading "facilitators" and "TA's" to dominate your life.  I was brain washed into thinking that Discovery! training would fix every issue I would encounter.....and I was naive enough to buy into that....literally.

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
You were indoctrinated into a cult.  Your very lucky that you retained enough ability to think critically / rationally that you came out of it quickly. Many loose years to such cults. Many loose their families and friends and home and their mental health. Your friend who talked you into this Discovery Seminar - did they have a kid in a "Teen Help" program?