Author Topic: hey, I got your tough love right here  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hey, I got your tough love right here
« on: March 06, 2002, 05:53:00 AM »
What is immediately striking to me, as I tour the board in search of familiar names, looking for someone, anyone, I might have known when I was a young, confused inmate of the Straight system, is the fact that people are looking for answers--answers of anykind--that might explain what the fuck happened to them all those thankfully distant years ago.

I don't have those answers, unfortunately.  But I do feel moved to point out that there is certainly nothing wrong in raising these questions about the misery of straight.  Whether you believe that Straight "worked" for you or not, the time you spent there was miserable.  It had to be--and you're either lying or deeply masochistic if you say anything contrary.  Who actually likes being held against their will?  Who likes being shouted at and being told exactly how to dress, under the penalty of adding another couple of years to your sentence?  Moreover, who actually likes not being able to look out of a window?  Or to be able to walk around freely, without having a stranger holding you by the belt loop?  Nobody likes any of those things, despite the purported amount of good they may have done you at the time.  

So, my question to all the defenders of tough "love" out there is the following: why can't you stand to hear people complain about an experience that, for all intents and purposes, was undebateably bad?  I mean, you can't debate that you would have rather been anywhere other that trapped inside those four blank walls for all those months--all any of us are trying to do is make sense out of it and get on with our lives.  Why should the simple act of calling myself a "survivor" of such an experience be such a threat to you?

No one argues for the benefits of stepping in dogshit, or having one's cat run over--moreover, no one goes out of their way to tell a holocaust survivor that Auschitz was "a cake walk."  It is utterly baffling, then, that a person who has undergone almost identical horrors to my own, should feel the need to inform me that the pain I suffered at the hands of overzealous parents is not authentic.  

I'd never try to tell you that your love of--I don't know--muscle cars or power drills isn't real, even though I don't understand it and think it undeniably reflects your hillbilly upbringing--so why would you keep insisting that Straight was actually the best thing for me?

My suggestion is that you can't stand the thought of being a victim, even though you so obviously are.  You were brainwashed.  You totally were.  One day you thought drugs were cool, the next you hated them, and the only thing that happened to in between was a lot of abuse.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
hey, I got your tough love right here
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2002, 09:16:00 PM »
I agree with your statement. I was in Straight for 6 months, and yes, it did work.. however, a lot of cruel and unusual punishment was totally unnessassary for many of the people I saw in the program.
Being forced on the ground and "eat" the carpeting to putting our hands on someones loopholes in our jeans.
I know the ones that were abused and mistreated need to move on with their lives..but it will always be embedded in your brain for the rest of your life.. that is the horror we face everyday to some degree.
I was an abused child most of my life, so some of what I saw at STRAIGHT wasn't too shocking to me, but when I was treated that way, I felt like I was a bit confused.
Tough love ISN'T abuse, rather it is supposed to be a way of emotional expression, the way I see it.
It took me years to realize this after I got out of the program.. the humiliation, abuse and neglect of caring on the staffs' behalf was much like a boot camp/death camp, at least those poor jewish people back in the 40's were able to see the sun!
I can relate to much abuse throughout my life, I did need some tough love, but just enough to scare me, not to torchure me the rest of my life.
The truth is, EVERYONE has something they do wrong, we are not perfect people and we certainly have our reasons for doing things.

I've been 11 years off of drugs, and only made it to 2nd phase. I didn't need to "graduate" the program to remain off of drugs. I have been at my current job for 4 years, and I am engaged to a man who never drank or used drugs in his life.
God certainly doesn't give you more than you can handle.. I suppose that is why STRAIGHT closed... shrug
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
usan Minns