Author Topic: Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch & Beyond  (Read 5697 times)

Offline kumquatmay

• View Profile
Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch & Beyond
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:30:42 AM »
As a result of a special education classification of emotionally disturbed and acting out at school, my 14-yr old son was sent to the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch in Montana five months ago. He is not doing well. He actually seems much worse now, than when he started at the placement. The results of the facility’s psychiatric testing and evaluation were a vague, broad-spectrum diagnosis of ADHD/BP/ODD and some unspecified type of thought disorder (?). Which sounds to me like a little bit of everything and nothing specifically treatable. They are trying new combinations of medications, but I have my doubts about this program working for my son. Clearly, discovering the right medications will be of great help, but other therapeutic elements of mental health care are critical as well.

At this point, my son despises his therapist and continues to engage in an insolent power-struggle with the staff.  For this reason, he has been continually kept in a highly secure, intensive treatment lodge that would normally just be used for assessment purposes. His stubborn defiance and unmanageability with the staff has led to multiple (i.e. daily) therapeutic crisis interventions or “proceduresâ€
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 09:12:44 AM »
Ah, looking for the kinder, gentler treatment center. Unfortunately, what you are asking for effectively cannot exist, because if it DID exist, it would  release its patients too fast and so go out of business, along with a large number of other, more subtle, social reasons. You'd be better off looking for Camelot.

I'm certain some Fornits member is going to ask what all he DID to get sent to a place like that.. so, just what was he doing? What were you doing? What the hell happened?

Also notable here is the lack of a real diagnosis. Have you ever had him MRI'd? Chemical balance analyzed in some way? Checked for things like toxoplasmosis or encephalitis? The fact that you know so little about his actual mental illness, if any, is disturbing.

the facility’s psychiatric testing and evaluation

And you're going to rely on that? Ever taken him to a real shrink, someone with a doctorate and experience who knows what the hell he's doing?

It sounds like your *real* problem is "I can't handle him- find someone who can". In that case, your best bet would be to pull him home and marry a man with the strength of a bull and the patience of a saint, and hope your son doesn't snap your neck like a twig for sending him to that hellhole (which he might do eventually anyway).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Was he ordered out your home (Youth Care incident)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »
Was he ordered out of your home by the authorities as it was the case with the boy who was placed at Youth Care?

If that is the case, we have to accept that the best place he can be is at a home with a 2007 standard when it comes to respect children. They are rare but they exist.

What homestate do you come from? Was he ordered out the home by the authorities?

Offline Pitbull Mom

• View Profile
Re: Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 03:23:45 PM »
Quote from: "kumquatmay"
As a result of a special education classification of emotionally disturbed and acting out at school, my 14-yr old son was sent to the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch in Montana five months ago. He is not doing well. He actually seems much worse now, than when he started at the placement. The results of the facility’s psychiatric testing and evaluation were a vague, broad-spectrum diagnosis of ADHD/BP/ODD and some unspecified type of thought disorder (?). Which sounds to me like a little bit of everything and nothing specifically treatable. They are trying new combinations of medications, but I have my doubts about this program working for my son. Clearly, discovering the right medications will be of great help, but other therapeutic elements of mental health care are critical as well.

At this point, my son despises his therapist and continues to engage in an insolent power-struggle with the staff.  For this reason, he has been continually kept in a highly secure, intensive treatment lodge that would normally just be used for assessment purposes. His stubborn defiance and unmanageability with the staff has led to multiple (i.e. daily) therapeutic crisis interventions or “proceduresâ€
Pitbull Mom

Offline Pitbull Mom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »
Forgot this in my last post - You also need to contact the state Office of Licensing, and Child Protective Services for the county where the facility is, and file complaints of abuse against your son. No one will do this for you.
Pitbull Mom

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 04:01:14 PM »
Take your kid out of a program, BE HIS MOTHER, and stop throwing him into institutions!

What the hell do you expect someone to do if they're stranded isolated and betrayed (yes, betrayed, as in by you, in his mind) and left to strangers who do little more than force them into obedience and to regurgitate program emotional growth nonsense.

If he's actually a danger he needs an actual treatment center. If he has emotional problems, why shouldn't he have the comforts of home and the love of his family to help him feel better? Why on earth would some austere institution be BETTER for... anything except breaking people down?

Its all they do. Until I see at least ONE example otherwise, and I'm STILL waiting, I'm not going to say otherwise either.

To conclude: get him home, DO YOUR JOB, stop sending him away, and MAYBE he won't want to act out because his needs aren't being met and he's being forced into a shitty situation and has no friends, family, or happiness!
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »
Now that I got that off my chest I can start to take in what you said specifically... and honestly this looks pretty... um, shitty.

As a result of a special education classification of emotionally disturbed and acting out at school, my 14-yr old son was sent to the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch in Montana five months ago. He is not doing well. He actually seems much worse now, than when he started at the placement

IS HE STILL THERE?? WHY IS HE STILL THERE? HELLLLLLLLLLOOOO???? EARTH TO MAMA!

The results of the facility’s psychiatric testing and evaluation were a vague, broad-spectrum diagnosis of ADHD/BP/ODD and some unspecified type of thought disorder (?). Which sounds to me like a little bit of everything and nothing specifically treatable. They are trying new combinations of medications, but I have my doubts about this program working for my son. Clearly, discovering the right medications will be of great help, but other therapeutic elements of mental health care are critical as well.

Do they have a PhD on staff or are they just doing this illegally? Also, uh, it reads to me like they're a bunch of freaking hacks and/or idiots and you really, really need to get him out of there.

Does "quack" ring a bell? This is definitely one of the quackiest of duckfarms I've seen in ages.

At this point, my son despises his therapist and continues to engage in an insolent power-struggle with the staff. For this reason, he has been continually kept in a highly secure, intensive treatment lodge that would normally just be used for assessment purposes.

Maybe he hates it there, hates the quack idiots there, the forced medications, and JUST MAYBE sentencing him to hell on earth for "acting out in school" was a stupid idea? And it might have something to do with...

His stubborn defiance and unmanageability with the staff has led to multiple (i.e. daily) therapeutic crisis interventions or “proceduresâ€
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline kumquatmay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 09:52:20 PM »
Wow, a lot of intense responses to my post. There is no question that I am having a crisis of conscience concerning my son’s placement. It has truly been a calamity from the start. Especially now, given the accusations of abuse and the antagonistic environment that has subsequently developed there. The staff’s abusive behavior was reported by our attorney and Montana’s Child Protective Services are currently investigating the incidents. Because the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch failed to report the claim, Child Protective Services issued a complaint against their license. Local publicity and a threat of litigation have provided a measure of safety while we work out what to do next.  

The question that keeps being raised is why is my son still at Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch? The answer involves maintaining or losing Special Education services available through his school’s Individual Education Plan. He was placed in Residential Treatment to receive mental health and educational services that were not available at home. My son’s situation is complicated by the fact that his behavior is unpredictable and can at times become violent and dangerous. Most often he is gentle, compassionate, funny and intellectually inspired. But, I have had to call the police on numerous occasions to break up fights between my son and his brothers. At school, he was recurrently disrespectful, very disruptive and eventually referred by the school district for placement when he allegedly intimidated a younger peer.

I love and miss my son very much. It is a devastating decision to send a child to a treatment center. It is done in desperation, not to simply dodge one’s duty as a mother. I have been struggling with my son’s behavior problems for years. I’ve looked for an appropriate diagnosis and effective treatments with marginal success at best. I’ve utilized prominent psychiatrists, psychologists, school counselors, church ministers, family therapy, sports therapy, parenting classes, mentors, youth groups, community wrap-around programs and more.  There is the larger issue of parental responsibility and my son’s precarious impact on his siblings and our community. It is truly an impossible choice with too much at stake. My hope is that my son will, with attentive treatment, return to our home and community successfully.  

History may eventually look back at today’s standard for children’s mental healthcare treatment as barbaric. Without a doubt, most of the programs I’ve researched are dreadful. I am not convinced, however, that every treatment program out there is bad for children. I believe there must be some people out there who are dedicated to helping emotionally ill children. Villa Santa Maria in New Mexico is exceptional for working with children with Reactive Attachment Disorder. I am researching the Montcalm School in Michigan, which seems to be more positive and maintains a less adversarial relationship with the children. Interestingly, they also have a listing of the alumni organization with former students (going back to the 1920’s) crediting the school with making a big difference in their lives.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 10:08:49 PM »
I'm sorry, I gotta call troll here.

The staff’s abusive behavior was reported by our attorney and Montana’s Child Protective Services are currently investigating the incidents.

And you STILL LEFT HIM THERE??

The answer involves maintaining or losing Special Education services available through his school’s Individual Education Plan.

Your kid is being tortured and THIS IS WHAT YOU WORRY ABOUT??

This person cannot be real.

Whoever wrote this knows a lot about the industry- probably too much- and doesn't have a fucking clue how to write realistic characters. Go read Stephen King back when he was good, and try again.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 10:23:35 PM »
You're either a troll or an idiot.

You refuse to listen to what we say.

WTF do you want us to say? What you want to hear?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 10:28:58 PM »
Villa Santa Maria in New Mexico is exceptional for working with children with Reactive Attachment Disorder. I am researching the Montcalm School in Michigan, which seems to be more positive and maintains a less adversarial relationship with the children

Troll works for either of these, or is an ed-con that refers to either.

You know the drill, Anonymous.

DESTROY
ATTACK
DIE

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »
THIS TROLL IS LON WOODBURY.

http://www.villasantamaria.org/ <-- proudly advertises Woodbury Reports on top right of page.
http://www.starr.org/site/PageServer?pa ... mboys_home <-- Site design shows clear Woodbury influence.

Similarly the writing style is his. He even pre-prepared his response.

Sorry, Lon, you've really stuck your hand into the wrong fucking hornet's nest today.

ACTUAL PARENTS: Yes, Lon Woodbury really does stoop to this. Yes, this is indicative of the industry as a whole. (And aren't you glad you started reading Fornits BEFORE you sent your kid to some shitpit?)

Offline kumquatmay

• View Profile
Yuck
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 11:36:03 PM »
You guys are so mean-spirited. I am an actual parent and all of this is my actual reality.   If it sounds as if I am very familiar with this “industryâ€

Offline kumquatmay

• View Profile
Reality Test
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 11:53:51 PM »
OK, since you guys are truly the experts here. Please tell me what your course of action would be if you had a child with a serious mental illness who was prone to violent and dangerous episodes. He was no longer accepted at the public school and was a danger to himself and others. How would you help him? Would you just welcome him back home and love him a little better? Just be a better mother? Is that your solution? Seriously. I would love a credible response.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Yuck
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 12:16:52 AM »
Quote from: "kumquatmay"
You guys are so mean-spirited. I am an actual parent and all of this is my actual reality.   If it sounds as if I am very familiar with this “industryâ€
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)