Author Topic: Sue Scheff Parent Advocate  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Carey

• View Profile
Sue Scheff Parent Advocate
« on: November 09, 2007, 09:53:52 PM »
Here is something to debate.

Do parents need an advocate in the Teen Help Industry?  Do they need someone to speak on their behalf?

What is an advocate?  
An advocate is one who speaks on behalf of another person. Implicit in the concept is the notion that the represented lacks the knowledge, skill, ability, or standing to speak for themselves.

Reason I ask, is Sue Scheff claims to be a Parent Adovacte.  Her posts, blogs and website all imply that she is a parent advocate.  Is she advocating for herself or is she saying she advocates for other parents?

I am of the belief that the teen help industry is in need of those who advocate on the behalf of children, those are the ones who's voices are not being heard.  Parents have rights and they can excersise those rights in most cases (except those who may be limited by some type of handicap).  

Is Sue saying she is a Parent Advocate and she is advocating for a parents right to chose what is in the best interest of their own child even if it means placment in risky programs.  Of course all of which is done for a profit.  Is that what she thinks makes her a Parent Advocate.

Personally, I don't think she is an advocate.  I think she is a business woman and she is trying to make a big...quick buck off of people who are at their "wits end."  

I don't think Scheff is an advocate at all unless she can be considered and advocate for Sue Scheff and Parents Universal Resource Experts (PURE)  Afterall, she is the only one who is speaking on her and her companies behalf.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:09:49 PM »
I would not say parents need an advocate. However in the case of families that are really doing it tough for whatever reason there probably is the need for more genuine support for everyone. Whether that is greater access to helpful NON punitive local services,  more practical assistance from the wider family, a workplace that takes seriously work life balance or just a school system which works with everyone when there is an issue rather than just practicing zero tolerance I guess is another debate.

There are always going to be unreasonable, weak, abusive or idiotic parents. Such ppl send their kids to this industry regardless. But those who feel they are trying and failing are very vulnerable to the likes of sue scheff and other sharks. I wish these families genuinely could access some sort of decent help.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 05:44:36 PM »
What parents need is therapy for themselves and the entire family, not to send the kids away as though THEY are the problem.   Too many parents are falling hook, line and sinker for residential treatment instead of seeking family therapy.