Author Topic: Is alcoholism REALLY genetic?  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Is alcoholism REALLY genetic?
« on: November 09, 2007, 08:20:54 PM »
My 'rents are convinced so.

My dad is alcoholic.

I'm a fucking snob who goes for high priced microbrews or imported trappist belgians... and I don't get cheap or popular scotches when I get them either. I talk to the guys who work there and get what they like.

I DONT DRINK TO GET DRUNK I SNOB OVER SMELLS AND TASTE. I SNIFF CORKS. I'm also buzzed now after a 42 hour work week.

ANYWAY, any truth behind it? Or is alcoholism = genetic = bullshit?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Is alcoholism REALLY genetic?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:49:14 PM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""
My 'rents are convinced so.

My dad is alcoholic.

I'm a fucking snob who goes for high priced microbrews or imported trappist belgians... and I don't get cheap or popular scotches when I get them either. I talk to the guys who work there and get what they like.

I DONT DRINK TO GET DRUNK I SNOB OVER SMELLS AND TASTE. I SNIFF CORKS. I'm also buzzed now after a 42 hour work week.

ANYWAY, any truth behind it? Or is alcoholism = genetic = bullshit?

Benchmark is a residential emotional growth school dedicated to a[/b]ssisting troubled teens and young adults between the ages of 18 and 28 years of age. We help transform their negative behavior into a new reality of healthy and productive living.

Our students are 18-28 years of age and have exhibited issues and behaviors that fall into the following:

Adoption issues
Attention deficit (ADD/ADHD)
Compulsive behavior
Distressed relationships
Drug/alcohol abuse
Inability to emancipate
Irresponsible behavior
Lacking motivation
Learning differences
Poor judgment
Requires structured environment
Shy/withdrawn
Signs of depression

Annual Tuition (non-refundable)   $57,600
Student Revolving Fund (must be maintained)   $3,000
Application Fee/Interview Fee   none
Payment Plans

Plan A - Annual Payment   $54,720 due upon enrollment
(5% discount on annual tuition - if paid in full at enrollment) $4,800 per month after 12 months
No refunds after 5th day of enrollment*
Plan B - Semester Payments   $28,224 due upon enrollment
$28,224 due upon the 1st day of the seventh month
(2% discount of semester tuition - if paid in two installments)
$4,800 per month after 12 months.
No refunds.
Plan C - Trimester Payments   $18,200 due upon enrollment
$19,200 due the 1st day of the fifth month
$19,200 due the 1st day of the ninth month
$4,800 per month after 12 months
No refunds.

Coping With Adult Children Living At Home

We understand the challenges you face with an adult child living at home. The students who require the assistance of our school usually do not want to be here. Many are late stage adolescents, or adult children living at home with parents rather contently. They have been skipping school, partying with friends, taking liberties with family members and indulging in other disruptive behaviors. Others have been living at home with parents quietly, but doing nothing with their adult lives. Now they must leave their homes, family and friends and take the challenging steps necessary to move forward in their adult lives. To learn more about any aspect of our program, please contact us today.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 08:55:16 PM »
lol
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Alcoholism
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 12:08:56 AM »
I hate to say it, but it is genetic. But, if you recognize the problem you have a better chance of fighting through it.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »
Yeah, I agree with CCM girl, from personal experience.  My family history was covered up on my dad's side - the alcoholics had cleaned-up, and by the time I was 16 or so, those guys were old and sober and silent about the old days.

Then I went through my own personal hell.

It seems to skip a generation, sometimes.  Awareness is a big part of it, though.  Niles, you're aware of the possibility and it sounds like you drink very responsibly -  people I know who love micro brews are beer lovers, not alcoholics.  Enjoy your brews, brother.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 01:29:07 PM »
I never ever think about getting drunk or wanting to grab some alcohol for whatever reason.

I think about something that TASTES good and getting sick of the HFCS-choked beverages passed around day to day. I seriously can't find one around town at all except (ta da) booze of various forms and watered down states or specifically UN-SWEETENED (gogo Jacksonville) Tea.

Still, I dunno... if I wanted chemicals to make me feel better the obvious choice would be Cannabinoids, not alcohol. I like what hops do but you gotta pay for IPAs.

:roll:

I was hoping there would be some degree of proof or a study that would segregate genetic predisposition (if there is any) from filial psychology, or rather, "like father like son" has more to do with passing on your memes than your genes.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 06:32:52 PM »
I cant comment on whether Alcoholism it is a disease or not.  But it definitely runs in families.  I have seen people from the same family struggle terribly with substance issues and other families who expose themselves to the same risks (drugging and drinking) and are able to moderate later in life without any problems.  There is something in the genetic makeup that predisposes a person to substance abuse in my opinion.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 07:27:57 PM »
I wonder if it is genetic or if there is a tendency for it to run in families due to socialization. Lots of overweight parents have overweight children and this is as much to do with what they are fed and the behavior that is modeled as anything.

I have one friend who came from a family of high functioning alcoholics. Although everything looked fine this guy's boyhood was shit. This guy has literally had 3 beers in his adult life. If anything he is a little paranoid about alcohol abuse. His girlfriend had mentioned she is a little concerned that when their 2 year old is old enough he may be a little harsh on this issue.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 07:33:27 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
I cant comment on whether Alcoholism it is a disease or not.  But it definitely runs in families.  I have seen people from the same family struggle terribly with substance issues and other families who expose themselves to the same risks (drugging and drinking) and are able to moderate later in life without any problems.  There is something in the genetic makeup that predisposes a person to substance abuse in my opinion.

We agree on something?  So be it.  Have studies been done involving adopted children who's birth parents were alcoholic? The old "Nature vs. Nurture" argument.

Yeah, Who, I've seen it devastate family lines.  I've also noticed that when there is more than one child in the family, one or more of the siblings are missed by the family curse.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 09:03:22 PM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""

We agree on something?  So be it.  Have studies been done involving adopted children who's birth parents were alcoholic? The old "Nature vs. Nurture" argument.

Yeah, Who, I've seen it devastate family lines.  I've also noticed that when there is more than one child in the family, one or more of the siblings are missed by the family curse.

I think that is a first, Zen...... My in-laws from my first marriage were crippled by alcohol and substance abuse from the great grandfather down.  I would call them functioning only because they had tons of money, if they were not rich they would have ended up living in a alley somewhere, I really believe that.  The only one spared was my brother in-law who I think minored in alcohol.  He studied every aspect of it and had his own micro brewery in his basement starting in high school.  He was obsessed with the history of alcohol and the effects of hops and barley etc…..sadly after watching his family fall apart around him he was convinced, by others, that he had “An unhealthy relationship with alcoholâ€

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 09:09:20 PM »
I've read 'tons' on it (hehehe  she said 'tons'!).
Seems to be a popular study topic.

On the other hand, my step-kids come from alcholism, and drug abuse and it seems to have 'skipped' them  ::cheers::
There's also some stuff in my family's history.  While my son was diagnosed w/ADD/HD, drug/alcohol abuse seems to have 'skipped' my son and neice, although I know he has suicidal urges (like his mom and uncle).
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""

Yes, but adopted kids from bad households often have other issues or were effected by a mom who smoked crack while pregnant or a dad who beats or terrorizes the kid... or just plain neglect.  Early childhood develpment is very important, regardless of whether or not the kid remembers it.  Nurture actually effects nature.  Who... You should know that kids from those romanian orphanages pretty much always have majorly different brains (my mom studied neurology and was interested).  It's not because of how they were born, but how that early childhood development (being strapped down to a bed and not rotated / traumatized every day.  If you adopt em right after birth from the same bunch they're usually ok, but the longer they're mistreated the more radical the difference is in brain imaging.
So.  Could it possibly be that the neglectful and/or abusive behavior or the parents could cause a brain disorder cropping up later in development as misbehavior?  IMO drinking is likely a symptom, at least at first, and not the problem itself.  Do some people get physically addicted to alcohol?  Duh.  But even that physical compulsion is the effect of a cause, a decision to drink regularly enough to form a dependency.  IMO, Humans are habit forming machines, but habits can be broken and un-learned.  The whole disease model is flawed, IMO.  It makes it seem as if some people are pre-disposed to behavior and therefore should be let off the hook.  If that was true (which it's not) I'll go drink a bottle of vodka right now, put a few slugs in somebody like Cartesano, and claim insanity because of a mental disease(alcoholism).  Aah.. but the law doesnt work that way because for the most part it's basic principles are based on logic.

IMO the whole "alcohol made me do it" is a bullshit AA-derived cop-out to make people feel good.  It's what I call "forgiveness of sins".  AA offers a method of salvation by purging.  A cult of confession...  It makes people feel good and addicts them to the meeting, but ultimately, are the issues that might have caused those people to drink in the first place actually addressed?  Maybe i'm not the best person to ask, about this since i'm not a drunk, but perhaps I am, since I can see it from the outside.  Plus, I was forced to attend a lot of AA meetings at Benchmark and that was the impression I got.

One staff guy used to say "i'm allergic to alcohol.  when I drink i break out in handcuffs".  If that is true to that person, it means that if they drink  they are deciding to commit a crime.  Tell that same person they are powerless over alcohol and you are basically saying "you're sick and you're going to commit crime, because you're going to drink. because it all depends on whether your god has it in his plan, which is all in your head, which means it's really a crapshoot (depending on whether or not you believe your god hates you or you deserve punishment for your actions further creating guilt that is later purged in the cult of confession (4th step "inventory", sharing, etc...)).  Coercion and self-fulfilling prophecies or not, if god exists, I really don't think "i was drunk.... it was the alcohol" is going to cut it for, e.g. running a kid down in a car.  If you're sorry, you're sorry, but don't say "it wasn't my fault".

What do you think is going to happen when you tell people that they're parents were alcoholic, it's genetic, and they "can't" control their drinking, hence what they do isn't really all their fault.  It gives them an excuse to behave badly and some abuse that.  I do NOT think people should ever be left off the hook for things done under the influence of alcohol.  People have a choice to drink to excess, choose to become intoxicated and hence have to learn to live with the consequences of their actions while intoxicated (i.e. killing a person).  If a person can safely be intoxicated and it helps him/her (for example, a writer), then let that person.  On the other hand, if a person commits a crime against another person, that person should be incarcerated for that crime.  Treatment should never be coerced (and isn't really treatment if it is... treatment implies effectiveness.  cercion isn't effective in the long term even if it was ethical.)
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 11:01:44 PM »
I love how they say its a incurable DISEASE and I have a bottle of very good scotch within arms reach...

...and I'm not taking the cork out. I haven't since I had a shot on some ice when I took it home after a 42 hour work week!

And I probably won't for a while. I will keep it out of the light so it doesn't get too light struck, though, not so I "don't get tempted".

:roll: Would you believe I've got some beer in the fridge I'm not chugging either? Egads!

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 11:34:09 PM »
While I am certainly coming around to the view that a disease model can be less than helpful, I also don't see what is wrong with telling you co workers you cant drink if you need to not do it. Coming from a country with an extremely extensive alcohol culture i can see it as a useful social tool for somebody who truly has trouble with the drink if they are in a particularly mach culture. It may seem a cop out but if it works...
For example there is an old adage here that says never trust a man that wont join you in a cold beer. In some quarters particularly in the bush this is taken really seriously and can even cost someone a promotion at work because they are not social enough. So if somebody said "no thanks i dont drink" they would possibly be greeted with suspicion for being some kind of kill joy. If they said Im sorry i have a problem or i am a recovering alcoholic, all would be forgiven because " the poor bastard cant have a beer how rough"
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 11:42:32 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""
Yes, but adopted kids from bad households often have other issues or were effected by a mom who smoked crack while pregnant or a dad who beats or terrorizes the kid... or just plain neglect. Early childhood develpment is very important, regardless of whether or not the kid remembers it. Nurture actually effects nature. Who... You should know that kids from those romanian orphanages pretty much always have majorly different brains (my mom studied neurology and was interested). It's not because of how they were born, but how that early childhood development (being strapped down to a bed and not rotated / traumatized every day. If you adopt em right after birth from the same bunch they're usually ok, but the longer they're mistreated the more radical the difference is in brain imaging.
So. Could it possibly be that the neglectful and/or abusive behavior or the parents could cause a brain disorder cropping up later in development as misbehavior?

Early childhood development is crucial, the quicker you can get the child out of the institution the better they will do.  After the first year of life there is permanent damage, maybe not severe, but as you mentioned their brains are different.  Their final outcome may be okay, but they take different paths developmentally in the way of delayed speech, gross and final motor skills, socialization and attachment.  I think that genetic makeup may predispose a person to alcoholism, but early development problems (or interruptions) far outweigh the persons genes in determining how they will cope with life and address their challenges in early adulthood.  Your point is well taken that if this were to be studied we wouldn’t want to mix populations, i.e. children raised by their biological parents who abuse substances vs. children (born of parents who abuse substances) adopted immediately after birth and raised by parents who do not abuse substances.

IMO the whole "alcohol made me do it" a bullshit AA-derived cop-out to make people feel good

I agree,
I cant even discuss this topic, just pisses me off.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:07:47 AM by Guest »