Author Topic: "Some methods by which programs profit from Failure&quo  (Read 1344 times)

Offline red lion

• View Profile
"Some methods by which programs profit from Failure&quo
« on: November 05, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »
I found this - it's kind of interesting - kinda admitting the bullshit nature of these programs -

Methods By Which Programs Profit From Failure

There is no clear history or reason why there are programs that profit from failure. What seems clear is how the structure, policies, referral practices and the contracts found in these programs are exploitive. One parent commented, "I was desperate and exhausted and it took all my strength to send my daughter into the darkness. They make a lot of money when children run away from their program and we paid for it. These people told me that they cared and would help her."

In some cases, the marketing practices and behavior within these programs are unprofessional, unethical and border on criminal. Programs profit from their failures in four ways.
Making Internal Referrals.

Creating or Allowing a Breach of Contract.

Admitting or Keeping Children Who Fail to Thrive or Benefit.

Creating contracts that eliminate parental rights and legal recourse.

Describing the concept of  "profiting from failure" in youth intervention is a complex undertaking. An operational description has not been established. In absence of a useful definition, the following examples are presented to illustrate the problem. These examples are based on a collection of real events that illustrate how a few programs profit from their failure. (The words he and she are used interchangeably in these stories.)

Example 1. The School Program Fails and then Keeps Deposits and the Balance of Tuition

Example 2. The Wilderness Program Admits Children with Problems Beyond the Scope of the Program that Require Extending the Program

"... there are too many programs that have contracts and practices that produce failures as well as leverage in favor of the program profiting from their own failure."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 12:48:57 PM »
Yeah, real interesting considering that came from Michael Conner's website, if I am not mistaken.

:roll:

Offline red lion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:13:52 PM »
I extracted what I thought useful - Obviously I didn't cut & paste the whole thing - or provide a link.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:45:43 PM »
Quote from: ""red lion""
I extracted what I thought useful - Obviously I didn't cut & paste the whole thing - or provide a link.

The whole idea industry is absurd . Why should a parent be able to declare a kid "not worthy" and on their opinion alone, have them abducted.

Why should the parent's idea that they are "not worthy" mean that the kids are "sick"

Why should "treatment" that has not been proved to do anything but hurt people, be applied to these kids that have not been proved "sick"

Should a husband be able to say "my wife is acting up. She needs help, Force her to march accross Utah"
absurd, but tragic. 100,000 kids ultimately dying cause of their torture and ptsd related to torture?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 06:54:33 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

The whole idea industry is absurd . Why should a parent be able to declare a kid "not worthy" and on their opinion alone, have them abducted.

Because the child is a serious risk to themselves and their loving parents wants to save their life, get them help and improve their life for the better.

Why should the parent's idea that they are "not worthy" mean that the kids are "sick"

Parents do not attend programs. The professionals make the diagnos, if there is any. Not all programs are medically based, many thrive on different options such as equine therapy, which could benefit any kid.

Why should "treatment" that has not been proved to do anything but hurt people, be applied to these kids that have not been proved "sick"

Treatment is designed to help people, not hurt people. What do you base your statements on? Everything I know about treatment tells me it is a positive, life saving experience. I have heard this countless times from many clients.

Should a husband be able to say "my wife is acting up. She needs help, Force her to march accross Utah"
absurd, but tragic. 100,000 kids ultimately dying cause of their torture and ptsd related to torture?

That is the difference between caring for children, and a loving marriage. Once you get older and have adult relationships you will understand. 100,000 kids have died, where did you hear that? If that were true, don't you think congress would do something? I admit, those numbers are alarming, but I can't believe them until you produce some sort of data.