Author Topic: When is RTC not a "program"?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
When is RTC not a "program"?
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:25:23 AM »
When is RTC not a "program"? Survivors I ask you and please give specifics. If X RTC was good for you explain in detail why, the same if it was bad.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 03:37:38 AM »
Zen I know after your daughter got out of PV she chose to go to a short term RTC that was good i.e not a program, what are your thoughts? CCM girl, you seemed to feel good about Heritage. What exactly made the difference to you?
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »
An RTC that isn't a program would:

1) allow unfettered communication between child and parent

2) have no point or level system or if it does have one, it is only reward-based.

3) only use restraint if someone is a threat to self or others and have restraint instances only once every few months, not once a day or even once a month, depending on population.  Only trained personnel would carry out restraints and each restraint would be required to result in a full staff meeting to see how it could have been prevented.

4) aim at minimizing length of stay, anything more than 2 months would be suspect except in cases of severe mental illness like schizophrenia and bipolar

5) work only with kids with particular diagnoses, not general "troubled teens"-- ideally be specialized to bipolar only, or ADD-only, etc.

6) be founded and run by an MD, with line staff having Master's degrees or above and no groups run by kids

7) not allow kids to have any say in the disciplining of other kids unless it was something like a mock jury trial regarding a particular incident and this was carefully supervised to avoid simply penalizing kids with poor social skills for this fact

8) never have "seminars" or "marathons"

9) never use confrontation or humiliation or attack therapy and always be aimed at building empathetic relationships all around

10) never use corporal punishment

11) have an on-site ombudsman whose sole job is to deal with patient complaints and take them extremely seriously

12) always err on the side of believing medical complaints, even if this means some "fakery" goes undected

13) treat troubled kids as though their problems are the result of pain and negative experiences, not as though they are the result of poor discipline or bad behavior

14) err in the direction of believing the kids are well-intentioned-- have them live up to high expectations, not down to low ones while also realizing that humans change slowly and erratically, not in a linear, straight road to improvement fashion.

15) use techniques like massage, music and movement and animal therapies that are designed to help kids deal with trauma that is nonverbal

16) focus on increasing the quality and number of the child's relationships, knowing that emotional connectedness and support are critical to recovery

17) be located close enough to the child's home that parents can visit frequently and ongoing care can be coordinated

18) be humble enough to realize that current practices are probably not best practices and that strong, new evidence should be incorporated into treatment when it becomes available

19) constantly be self-evaluating to help discern best practices and ideally, publish research on them

20) encourage critical thinking and skepticism in both staff and patients, not blind obedience and have an open, warm atmosphere that is obvious from the moment anyone sets foot in the place.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
Zen I know after your daughter got out of PV she chose to go to a short term RTC that was good i.e not a program, what are your thoughts? CCM girl, you seemed to feel good about Heritage. What exactly made the difference to you?

She ended up not going back to Sheppard Pratt.  Her High School got her started again quickly, and she finished her Senior year.  Also, $1700 a day for the short-term RTC was not do-able, even though it's worth it.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 05:15:30 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
An RTC that isn't a program would:

1) allow unfettered communication between child and parent

2) have no point or level system or if it does have one, it is only reward-based.

3) only use restraint if someone is a threat to self or others and have restraint instances only once every few months, not once a day or even once a month, depending on population.  Only trained personnel would carry out restraints and each restraint would be required to result in a full staff meeting to see how it could have been prevented.

4) aim at minimizing length of stay, anything more than 2 months would be suspect except in cases of severe mental illness like schizophrenia and bipolar

5) work only with kids with particular diagnoses, not general "troubled teens"-- ideally be specialized to bipolar only, or ADD-only, etc.

6) be founded and run by an MD, with line staff having Master's degrees or above and no groups run by kids

7) not allow kids to have any say in the disciplining of other kids unless it was something like a mock jury trial regarding a particular incident and this was carefully supervised to avoid simply penalizing kids with poor social skills for this fact

8) never have "seminars" or "marathons"

9) never use confrontation or humiliation or attack therapy and always be aimed at building empathetic relationships all around

10) never use corporal punishment

11) have an on-site ombudsman whose sole job is to deal with patient complaints and take them extremely seriously

12) always err on the side of believing medical complaints, even if this means some "fakery" goes undected

13) treat troubled kids as though their problems are the result of pain and negative experiences, not as though they are the result of poor discipline or bad behavior

14) err in the direction of believing the kids are well-intentioned-- have them live up to high expectations, not down to low ones while also realizing that humans change slowly and erratically, not in a linear, straight road to improvement fashion.

15) use techniques like massage, music and movement and animal therapies that are designed to help kids deal with trauma that is nonverbal

16) focus on increasing the quality and number of the child's relationships, knowing that emotional connectedness and support are critical to recovery

17) be located close enough to the child's home that parents can visit frequently and ongoing care can be coordinated

18) be humble enough to realize that current practices are probably not best practices and that strong, new evidence should be incorporated into treatment when it becomes available

19) constantly be self-evaluating to help discern best practices and ideally, publish research on them

20) encourage critical thinking and skepticism in both staff and patients, not blind obedience and have an open, warm atmosphere that is obvious from the moment anyone sets foot in the place.

Except for the ombudsman, the massage therapy, and the location close to home, this is exactly what I was sold.