Author Topic: Charging Parents as Accomplices  (Read 7433 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Charging Parents as Accomplices
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2007, 11:31:06 AM »
Let me try to reword this:
The schools make claims of success rates and how they help the kids and I agree that they need to back up these claims with some studies.  But without these studies none of us know for sure how many kids in these programs need help.  It could be 10 % it could be 100% or anywhere in between.

I cant say it is 100% and you cant say it is 10% until some sort of study is done and we all look to the schools to produce this evidence, but until such time none of us know for sure so we cant make statements like:

The vast majority of children in programs don't need any help at all

until some studies are done.

Hope that clears it up a little better.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2007, 11:32:05 AM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
Quote from: ""Rachael""
The parents typically work very hard with local services and exhaust every option before choosing to place their child outside the home.  Don’t be fooled by what some say here, it is a very difficult decision.  Any parent that has kids and are faced with these decisions know what I am talking about.

Well, you are partially right. My mother did do the rounds with local counselors, psychiatrists, detox centres and drug rehabilition programs (real ones). She took me to every one she could find, and every one told her that I was perfectly fine, so she had to find an appropriately money-oriented program that wouldn't care about that niggling little detail that I didn't have a problem. Lucky her, she found one right in town - and only $150/day (plus the mandatory galas to raise money, fundraising drives and hitting up your more powerful friends for more).

Rachael, I apologize if you have covered this many times over and I missed it.  But why did your mother think you had a problem if all the professionals in town thought you were okay?  I remember you saying you had high grades and all and you were not really big into substances (Drugs alcohol), why the detox?  She must have been hooked onto some notion that made her not believe the pros.  I missed that part of it, I guess.

My now ex-wife did the same thing to her son.  She got him admitted to a program at $10,000 a month based on ADHD and depression. The program itself said he doesn't have ADHD or depression but took him anyway.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2007, 11:36:19 AM »
Let me try to reword this:
The schools make claims of success rates and how they help the kids and I agree that they need to back up these claims with some studies.  But without these studies none of us know for sure how many kids in these programs need help.  It could be 10 % it could be 100% or anywhere in between.

I cant say it is 100% and you cant say it is 10% until some sort of study is done and we all look to the schools to produce this evidence, but until such time none of us know for sure so we cant make statements like:

The vast majority of children in programs don't need any help at all

until some studies are done.

Hope that clears it up a little better.

There is no evidence that any of these programs help anyone. Yet, there is plenty of evidence that they kill and maim kids often. No reasonable person would give someone a drug that does no good but has a substantial risk of killing or maiming them. It should be illegal to submit kids to residential therapeutic facilities without some generally accepted scientific evidence that they actually do more good than harm.

If we could get the product liabilities attorneys who take on cigarettes, fen/phen and the like to take on residential therapeutic facilities, they would fold as fast as the drug companies do with a bad drug. The entire industry would shut down.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2007, 11:43:27 AM »
There is no evidence that any of these programs help anyone....

That is not the point being argued here.  The question is do any of these kids need help.  Someone said that the vast majority of kids dont need any help.  How does anyone know how many kids need help.

No one can make that statement unless there is some sort of study done.  The schools should provide the studies, but none of us can know for sure how many kids need help until that time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2007, 11:54:47 AM »
That is not the point being argued here. The question is do any of these kids need help. Someone said that the vast majority of kids dont need any help. How does anyone know how many kids need help.

No one can make that statement unless there is some sort of study done. The schools should provide the studies, but none of us can know for sure how many kids need help until that time.

& there is no telling how many parents needs parenting classes/coaching/forced sterilization to never have anymore children because they never should've cranked them out in the first place.

The parents need to step up and take responsibility at some point instead of blaming everyone else. Not all parents, but a few I can think of off the top of my head. Not fob them off on someone else, assWho.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2007, 11:56:29 AM »
to re-iterate -

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2007, 01:06:27 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
to re-iterate -

If you are one of them then I would have to agree with you on that point, He.He.He

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »
"The vast majority of children in programs don't need any help at all. "

Since there is no clinical evidence one way or the other, good luck backing up that statement. But regardless of the percentage, it is little consolation to the kids that really do need help and can't get it anywhere, or to the parents who get the program sales pitch about saving junior before it's too late.

Sorry folks, but this is the wrong approach. Programs are not the answer and programs have been known to induce great damage or even death in many cases. But denying that some kids have real problems is not going to help shut down programs.

Evidence-based treatment methods that are humane, respectful of the patient's rights and are done on an outpatient basis -- now that might get us somewhere.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2007, 11:36:16 PM »
"The vast majority of children in programs don't need any help at all. "

Since there is no clinical evidence one way or the other, good luck backing up that statement. But regardless of the percentage, it is little consolation to the kids that really do need help and can't get it anywhere, or to the parents who get the program sales pitch about saving junior before it's too late.

Sorry folks, but this is the wrong approach. Programs are not the answer and programs have been known to induce great damage or even death in many cases. But denying that some kids have real problems is not going to help shut down programs.

Evidence-based treatment methods that are humane, respectful of the patient's rights and are done on an outpatient basis -- now that might get us somewhere.

Yes, but there is our own experience. Does 4 year years if insitutionalization mean nothing? No, NONE of the kids, i was in with had anything close to a mental condition. They were normal kids, with abnormal life situations. they needed help in the sense that they needed half way decent families.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2007, 11:40:04 PM »
they needed help in the sense that they needed half way decent families.

And how, pray tell, is a PROGRAM or any "institution" going to provide that?

Their best bet is freedom - a halfway house, to get their own job, spend time with friends, and see if they can fit in with a friends family, or start their own circle of friends.

Not being controlled in a program.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2007, 01:12:30 AM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""

Their best bet is freedom - a halfway house, to get their own job, spend time with friends, and see if they can fit in with a friends family, or start their own circle of friends.

Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""

Yes. What’s best in circumstances like this is, is giving them control over their own lives, the “rightsâ€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2007, 07:43:02 PM »
I know of one parent who is being sued for this as we speak

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2007, 07:45:20 PM »
I know of one parent who is being sued for this as we speak

It's only right that they should sue the parents and not the programs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2007, 09:50:03 AM »
bump