Author Topic: Aspen Achievement Academy  (Read 9612 times)

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
Aspen Achievement Academy
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2003, 02:06:00 PM »
My friend who had been sent to Alldredge also briefly indicated he wanted to work there. I think in the case of wildnerness programs, it has more to do with not knowing what you want to do than being dependent on the program. The wildnerness programs become their idea of a fun, job where something important is done. And of course, since they are not legitimate treatment, they can hire anyone, in fact they often prefer to hire former clients since they don't need to train them to ignore abuse, or violations of regs since they already know the game.

Its only a crutch in the sense, that going back to the program is so much easier than going to college or getting a real job.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline twistdwile

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2003, 10:52:00 PM »
hey laura, the only requirements that i know of is that you need to be 19 years old with 1 year outside the program.  or 1 year of soberity.  you would need to apply to the program and then go through training.  my best advice for you is to make sure that you have a descent handle on your own issues so that you may help others.  

i was here in the summer and i am sorry that i was not your instructor, how ever i did work with one student named laura for 3 days as add support.  one question did you run from the group with 2 other girls?  

you know i just got the opportunity to see one of my students graduate from the program who Stated that if it were for this program then he would be dead.  he said that he owes alot to this program for opening his eyes to his issues and creating a better relationship with his parents.  he is going on to a better envirorment to finish school, learn how to live on his own, get more help with his drug abuse problem, and then go on to college.  before coming here, he wanted none of anything.  no future of goals in life.  he says that he now has something to look for.  Face, jsut seeing that makes this job all woth it.

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2003, 11:17:00 PM »
Of cource he said he'd be dead without the
program, darling. If he says anything else his
folks are going to cut him off.

Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following
pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them
general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong,
gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises
at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom.  But the
tumult soon subsides.  Time makes more converts than reason.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679433147/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2003, 11:59:00 AM »
yeah i ran away when i was there ALOT only made it to bicknell once though.  I am going to college next year in chicago and hopefully after college i will still want to work at aspen. if u know barry and kate and nick tell them hi!!!
i made this poem at aspen for a curricilum and i finished when i got home please read:
I hate aspen trees
i hate all the bugs and bees
i hate it when u make me speak
i also hate counting when i take a leak
i hate smelling like a nasty skunk
i guess thats what i get for being a punk
me ivana and kara got sick of pushing carts around
so we decided to take a little trip into town
this is the dirtiest water ive ever seen
i forget what it feels like to be clean
im so sick of making this poem
since i did can i please go home
now that im home i wanna go back
to live in the woods and make my survival pack
to not cook in a stove but over a fire
to have no electricty not even a wire
i miss aspen so much it makes me sob
when i grow up i hope you can offer me a job!!!

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2003, 08:43:00 PM »
Well you would not be the first person to prefer the woods to their homelife.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2003, 04:52:00 PM »
I've for years told my mom how destructive the TWO thought reform centers she sent me to were. She always says, "What was I supposed to do?" My responce has always been, "Why not love me enough to raise me yourself?"

Twistdwile, you disgust me.

I agree with Ginger 100%. COMMUNICATION is the only way to be a good parent. There is no expiration date for parenting. I have a 12 year old daughter, who knows she can tell me anything a.k.a. she trusts me, and knows I love her. I was online yesterday looking at Sunhawk Academy,(not because I wanted to send her away), after filling out their questionaire on-line, I was reffered to a list of options for placement of her. According to the answers I gave (which were honest), my daughter qualified! So I called, asking about legal rights of the child, still maintaining that I was looking into their program. Then came the Red Flags..."You as a parent have to trust us, the program will not work without your trust, and children have many different manipulation tactics," blah, blah. This woman's name was Stacy Bradley. Okay, thank you very much but no thanks. Wilderness resedential therapy or Boot-camp, same thing, I was in one for 18 months, and then in Straight inc another almost 2 years. They chewed me up and spit me out! Salesmanship club, Sunhawk, same difference. Handing your kid over for someone else to fix is NEGLECT!!! Especially when these places are not hospitals, with real Med. professionals, but instead, greedy, moral-absent con-artists with education degrees! Education of: How to run a child consentration camp! Qualifications matter. I'm shocked at people's ignorance. My daughter is a well adjusted, bright, beautiful little girl, and I give myself some credit, I am raising her, I am an authoritative parent. Life has its ups and downs, but LOVE rules. Neglect is the opposite of love and screams irresponsability!

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2003, 04:55:00 PM »
That, "Addressing Twistdwile" is from me.

Offline Britt15

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2003, 07:13:00 PM »
If there are any students or anyone at all that has any information on the family foundation school in hancock, new york please please email me back
thank you so much!
Britt

Offline twistdwile

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2003, 10:42:00 AM »
so why is it that i disgust you?????  i am really interested to hear why.

congrates to goping to college and i wish you all the best in what ever path you decide to take in life.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2003, 11:23:00 AM »
What are your credentials?

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2003, 11:31:00 AM »
On 2003-02-26 19:52:00, twistdwile wrote:
" the only requirements that i know of is that you need to be 19 years old with 1 year outside the program.  or 1 year of soberity.  you would need to apply to the program and then go through training.  my best advice for you is to make sure that you have a descent handle on your own issues so that you may help others."

Nice. Sounds like a cult.
That's why you disgust me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2003, 03:32:00 PM »

I have a dear little friend who has just been placed in the AAA.  Can you tell me more about it?
Is is run by Mormans?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2003, 04:08:00 PM »
What are the details of your "little friends" placement?
What is your relation?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2003, 09:00:00 PM »
aspen achievement academy rocks i love it so much and i cant wait to go back there to work some day!!! its been exactly one year since i was sent there may 25  so its national aspen day!!!!!! best day of my life!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2004, 12:46:00 PM »
anybody have any information on aspen achievment academy based in loa utah any former students that i can hear their stories about this wilderness program please reply