Author Topic: Weather  (Read 5156 times)

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Weather
« on: June 15, 2003, 08:32:00 AM »
:smokin:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 10:07:00 AM »
HI Bill,
Ya know, I left the south, Alabama, in 95 and headed for the mountains of Utah. I do NOT miss the tornados, and violent thunderstorms of the south. I still find myself uneasy when the really dark clouds begin to move in. But, we will most likely have no rain for a couple of months. We are in our 5th year of drought, the rivers are running slow, and the lakes are drying up. WE did no have that much snow this year, usually we have several feet, and it makes for good spring run off to refill the lakes and resevoirs. Even the Great Salt Lake is at an all time low. The clouds roll up looking like they are going to dump some much needed rain, but they just keep rolling along and leave us with nothing. You can certainly do a little raindance and send it our way, we will gladly take some off of your hands!!
The New Definition of BITCH....Babe In Total Control of Herself!!

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 10:10:00 AM »
Oh yes, it is the same situation here in Baltimore. I've written the Mayor's office several times asking him what he intends to do about it, but they keep giving me the same line of bullshit about "not having any control over things like that" and "acts of god" and what-not...

[ This Message was edited by: Froderik13 on 2003-06-15 07:11 ]

Offline chinrse23

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 02:26:00 PM »
It is pooring down rain, but the soon is beautifully shining. Welcome to North Carolina.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2003, 08:37:00 PM »
It's been light out from like 5:30A till around 9:00P already. Rainy about half the day and, except for a pretty nasty tornado that missed us by a couple of townships, very little wind. So, ya' know what that means? Yes, lots and lots of berries coming ripe every day and not blowing off onto the ground. And my squash and tomatos are taking over the world. And I think my hypericum and mint will just love it if I ever get around to putting them in the ground before the dog days.

How could anyone not love this?

The legislature is to society as a physician is to the patient. If a physician ignored side effects of medications like today's legislators ignore the side effects of their legislation, the physician would be accused of malpractice. I accuse today's legislators (with rare exception) of legislative malpractice. Many of the ills that are so obvious in our society are a direct result of previous legislation. Their solution? More laws!
-- John A. Bennett, DO

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline ehm

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2003, 08:44:00 PM »
This is the most perfect time of year--
Last night was the full moon, and next Saturday is the Summer Solstice. Ahhh... Summer.

All next week is supposed to be gorgious here. I'm going on a  camping/canoe trip for four days on the Arkansas border, with Jonathan's entire family.  ::hehehmm:: Should be fun.

Ginger, I loooovvvve the weather intro! It's a keeper!

The clouds are a nice touch...

Offline chinrse23

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 06:58:00 AM »
For me it is a little warm, but where can you find a place that is 60-70 all year round.

I also love the rain, i've been in drought before and the rain not only brings life, but for me, is quite cleansing and soothing. I love to watch things grow and spring up.

It was just a little hard yesterday when the glare of the sun and gale of the rain storm were both hitting the windshield.  I looked for a rainbow, but didnt find one. :grin:

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 03:52:00 PM »
It's cold and foggy here in the summer.  The inland heat draws the cold, moist Pacific air in and if you're here on the coast the sun sometimes doesn't come out for a week or two.  The temps range from the 50s at night to the 70s in the day.  In the winter it just rains.  I kinda miss the heat of the south.
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2003, 05:51:00 PM »
Okay. Not that I'm provoking a religious discussion but Scripture says that in the "last days" the seasons will be all mixed up. Personally, I believe the freaky weather is a "sign of the times," but that's just me and my two cents. No need to attack, I simply think differently and wanted to contribute to the conversation.  :grin:

Offline ehm

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »
Anon: When saying, "No need to attack." You are just asking to be attacked...

Two more cents for ya. ( :grin: )

Offline chinrse23

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2003, 06:28:00 PM »
The weather has only been measured for the last 200 years or so.  In the grand scheme of things this is only a millionith of what we could possibly know about it.

I read somewhere that weather should actually be looked at on about a 10,000 year cycle because that is what scientists believe the cycle runs.

I had weather class in college.  The same question was on every test--

What is the one thing that all people who study the weather know?  The answer is that weather is unpredictable even in with the best equipment.

The college prof. actually said that if you want to know what the day is going to be like--open the door and look outside.  He really did know his information.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2003, 10:31:00 PM »
On 2003-06-16 14:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Okay. Not that I'm provoking a religious discussion but Scripture says that in the "last days" the seasons will be all mixed up. Personally, I believe the freaky weather is a "sign of the times," but that's just me and my two cents. No need to attack, I simply think differently and wanted to contribute to the conversation.  :grin: "

Nah, I think that rant was just an indictment against the Julian calendar. Although I'm not a professing Christian, I have always been a big fan of anyone who will call liars and thieves liars and thieves and kick them out of a temple by force (or any other way). Christ was real big on thumbing his nose at authority and encouraging others to do the same.

I don't know how the CC fundies have gotten it so mixed up in the mean time, but the whole reason why the Zealots hated Jesus was because he called himself Christ or "The Anointed One". It was that he had the audacity to put forth that you don't need a rabbi to anoint you. The annointing oil, including the essential ingredient Khana Bass or "Sweet Cane", comes from God and all God's children are entitled--even required--to partake.

In fact, Jesus made a short career of making the establishment look stupid. That's why the Romans didn't care for him any more than the Zealots.

Just one of many complaints against the Roman Empire at the time was that they criminalized the use of traditional calendars in favor of the Julian calendar. This may seem like a little thing, but it's not. You want to bust up and subjugate a culture? Take away their holy days and rites. That's one effect of changing the calendar. Another was that it became difficult to function in the agrarian societies.

"When do we plant the corn, Dad?"
"On the third full moon of... shhhh! they'll hear. On the Roman calendar, it'll be June 15th this year and a little earlier than that next year.... but, for real, it's the third full moon of ..."

In those days, that Dad could go to prison (where there were no services or civil right... or food, for that matter) just for telling his son practical info that works. It's easy to imagine a hot-headed radical rebel like Jesus preaching about how fucked up that is and saying something to the effect of "why, in another thousand years or so, we'll be having winter in July, for Christ's sake! and by that time, surely the empire will be in some deep shit.", only to be misquoted as prophesying catastrophic weather far off in the future.

Just my two pieces of silver  :wink:

Distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 10:40:00 PM »
On 2003-06-16 15:28:00, chinrse23 wrote:

"The weather has only been measured for the last 200 years or so.  

???? Here's an almanac from the 15th century.

It goes back a whole lot further than that! People have been studying and recording the weather for as long as people have been studying and recording. Why, just look at this thread. Weather is what people talk about when we run out of things to talk about.

Don't believe everything your professor tells you!

Babylon in all its desolation is a sight not so awful as that of the human mind in ruins.
-- Scrope Davies: Letter to Thomas Raikes, May 25, 1835.

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 11:15:00 PM »
. Why, just look at this thread. Weather is what people talk about when we run out of things to talk about.

Don't believe everything your professor tells you!

Babylon in all its desolation is a sight not so awful as that of the human mind in ruins.
-- Scrope Davies: Letter to Thomas Raikes, May 25, 1835.

Yes Ginger, a mind is a terrible sight sometimes. I had started this thread due to significant concerns about our well being here with respect to Mother Nature. It's not everyday that people should endure a damn thunderstorm 3 times, one day it was 5, and never have any more than 4 or 5 hours of full sun in a week. It's like some kind of curse or something. The contractors in this area are all out of money now. AWWW,  :smokin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 11:48:00 PM »
Don't forget global warming !   :flame: