Author Topic: Hyde Enrollment  (Read 11783 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde Enrollment
« on: October 09, 2007, 04:38:52 PM »
Looks like both Hyde campuses are a little off their enrollment targets.

From the Boarding School Review Website:
The Hyde School Campuses Each of the two boarding school campuses enrolls 220 students in grades 9 through 12, with limited post graduate student acceptances.

From the Hyde Website:
Hyde-Bath opened on Monday, September 10, with an enrollment of 157 students and their families attending. Hyde-Bath boasts 30 native Maine students representing Portland and Bath, among other towns. The student body also represents 28 states and 7 countries.

Woodstock, CT—Hyde School, a national leader in character-based education, opened its doors for the 2007-2008 school year September 10 to 167 students.  The student body is varied this year; coming from Connecticut, New York, California and even far away Washington and Alaska.  There are 2 international students this year, a brother and sister from Japan.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ed Legg

• View Profile
Hyde Enrollment
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 05:56:49 PM »
Hey

I hear yall are lookin for Head of School.  If you're interested in gittin' some one to fix your enrollment problems, let me know.  I will send my salary requirements.

Hugs and Kisses
i]

Offline Joseph W. Gauld

• View Profile
Hyde Enrollment
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »
Ah, fer chrissakes, Ed, when will ya ever learn?!  We jes didn't have enough "qualified candidates" this year for some reason.  Plus we wanna give these kids our undivided attention... fewer runaways, and complaints, har har!  We plan to do a most thorough job "re-educating" the young minds of tomorrow!

Paternally yours,
Joseph W. Gauld, The Educator

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde Enrollment
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 09:48:27 PM »
There most certainly is a big drop in enrollment at Hyde Woodstock and Hyde Bath! What do you attribute this to? Do you think the truth is getting out about Hyde?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde Enrollment
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 12:25:29 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
There most certainly is a big drop in enrollment at Hyde Woodstock and Hyde Bath! What do you attribute this to? Do you think the truth is getting out about Hyde?

I think it is a direct result of imagining a reality without Hyde.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Hyde Enrollment
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Looks like both Hyde campuses are a little off their enrollment targets.

From the Boarding School Review Website:
The Hyde School Campuses Each of the two boarding school campuses enrolls 220 students in grades 9 through 12, with limited post graduate student acceptances.

From the Hyde Website:
Hyde-Bath opened on Monday, September 10, with an enrollment of 157 students and their families attending. Hyde-Bath boasts 30 native Maine students representing Portland and Bath, among other towns. The student body also represents 28 states and 7 countries.

Woodstock, CT—Hyde School, a national leader in character-based education, opened its doors for the 2007-2008 school year September 10 to 167 students.  The student body is varied this year; coming from Connecticut, New York, California and even far away Washington and Alaska.  There are 2 international students this year, a brother and sister from Japan.

So, Jake, any clue or comment you'd care to make?  It seems you've had more recent visceral involvement than some of us "elderly statesmen" here have experienced of late...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline jake

• View Profile
Time for Hyde to accept the facts
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 09:25:34 PM »
The therapy industry is shutting them out with cause. The AA/AAlon outward bound model Joe mirrored  is in trouble. Mal and Laura are aware of the need to change.They must accept that there time may be limited headed in the current direction. The new Head of School will be the sign of the new era. I'll make every effort to help them along with Truth over Harmoney.
ake

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Time for Hyde to accept the facts
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 06:41:10 AM »
Quote from: ""jake""
The therapy industry is shutting them out with cause. The AA/AAlon outward bound model Joe mirrored  is in trouble. Mal and Laura are aware of the need to change.They must accept that there time may be limited headed in the current direction. The new Head of School will be the sign of the new era. I'll make every effort to help them along with Truth over Harmoney.

The AA/Outward Bound model is not in enough trouble.  That same model is used by pretty much every other institution and program out there for troubled teens and they are raking in the bucks like there is no tomorrow.  NATSAP took a big hit last week during the GAO hearings, but those punches do not address the industry as a whole, rather one specific organization that wasn't doing the job it claimed to be.  Nevertheless, it was a badly needed piece of publicity for a seamy, sordid world that the average Joe has little knowledge about.

I am sure Hyde will try to distance itself from this world, as it always has, much as alluded to by "Guest" in 'The 10 Priorities' thread a few hours ago.  
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=23309&start=156
To me the inclusion of the phrase "character education" does not alter my perception of what Hyde really is, since I have personal experience with Hyde that says otherwise.  But I am sure it does a real number on the average person who has not been down that road yet.

It remains to be seen just how much Hyde will be able to distance itself and how successful that distancing will be as far as its marketing campaign goes.  Usage of "character-infused" terminology by these other programs certainly obfuscates matters; unfortunately, these terms are too generalized and already in too common usage to register as trademarks.  Terminology associated with 'The Biggest Job' will be where they try to go next, I imagine.  Did you notice that they registered "The Biggest Job" as a trademark?

BTW, who is the new Headmaster at Bath?  Woodstock?  What are Laurie and Paul officially doing these days?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:28:16 AM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Time for Hyde to accept the facts
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 06:59:57 AM »
Quote from: ""jake""
I'll make every effort to help them along with Truth over Harmoney.

:tup:  ::seg::

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Hyde Enrollment
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 03:34:10 PM »
Summary of the original post, enrollments for the 2007-2008 academic year:
    Hyde-Bath: enrollment of
Hyde-Woodstock:  enrollment of 167[/list]
From Guidestar, re. Bath campus:
    HYDE SCHOOL WAS FOUNDED TO PROVIDE A PRIVATE SCHOOL EDUCATION WHICH CENTERS UPON INDIVIDUAL GROWTH AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT THROUGH THE TEACHING OF VALUES AND COURAGE, INTEGRITY, CONCERN FOR OTHERS, LEADERSHIP AND CURIOSITY. APPROXIMATELY
296 STUDENTS ATTENDED THE SCHOOL IN THE YEAR ENDED JUNE 30, 2006.[/list]
From Guidestar, re. Woodstock campus:
    HYDE SCHOOL IN SOUTH WOODSTOCK, CT WAS FOUNDED TO PROVIDE A GRADE 7-12 PRIVATE SCHOOL EDUCATION WHICH CENTERS UPON INDIVIDUAL GROWTH AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT THROUGH THE TEACHING OF VALUES, COURAGE, INTEGRITY, CONCERN FOR OTHERS, LEADERSHIP AND CURIOSITY. APPROXIMATELY
312 STUDENTS ATTENDED THE SCHOOL DURING THE FISCAL YEAR ENDED JUNE 30, 2006[/list]
Either the numbers they reported for last year are excessively inflated, or enrollment has gone way down.  Perhaps they are including the Summer Challenge students in with those figures.  Does Woodstock have its own Summer Challenge, or is it only at Bath?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Hyde Enrollment
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 07:08:09 PM »
RELAVENT GUIDESTAR LINKS for HYDE:

Boarding schools:
    Hyde-Bath
    Hyde-Woodstock[/list]
    Public charter schools:
      Hyde-DC
      Hyde-Bronx[/list]
      Other:
        The Hyde Foundation
        F A S T INC.[/list]
        Not sure:
          THE@CIVA SCHOOL COMMUNITY COALITION[/list]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
          Hyde Enrollment
          « Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 10:42:44 AM »
          Quote from: ""Ursus""
          Summary of the original post, enrollments for the 2007-2008 academic year:
            Hyde-Bath: enrollment of
          Hyde-Woodstock:  enrollment of 167[/list]
          From Guidestar, re. Bath campus:
            HYDE SCHOOL WAS FOUNDED TO PROVIDE A PRIVATE SCHOOL EDUCATION WHICH CENTERS UPON INDIVIDUAL GROWTH AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT THROUGH THE TEACHING OF VALUES AND COURAGE, INTEGRITY, CONCERN FOR OTHERS, LEADERSHIP AND CURIOSITY. APPROXIMATELY
          296 STUDENTS ATTENDED THE SCHOOL IN THE YEAR ENDED JUNE 30, 2006.[/list]
          From Guidestar, re. Woodstock campus:
            HYDE SCHOOL IN SOUTH WOODSTOCK, CT WAS FOUNDED TO PROVIDE A GRADE 7-12 PRIVATE SCHOOL EDUCATION WHICH CENTERS UPON INDIVIDUAL GROWTH AND CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT THROUGH THE TEACHING OF VALUES, COURAGE, INTEGRITY, CONCERN FOR OTHERS, LEADERSHIP AND CURIOSITY. APPROXIMATELY
          312 STUDENTS ATTENDED THE SCHOOL DURING THE FISCAL YEAR ENDED JUNE 30, 2006[/list]
          Either the numbers they reported for last year are excessively inflated, or enrollment has gone way down.  Perhaps they are including the Summer Challenge students in with those figures.  Does Woodstock have its own Summer Challenge, or is it only at Bath?

By their own admission, according to the Traub article, 40% drop out during the course of the year.  According to one person cited in that part of the article, only 9 members of her class of 30 were still there.  That's actually 30% remaining (70% dropped out).  You would think they would start out with more students to compensate the attrition rate?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
          Hyde Enrollment
          « Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 10:49:46 AM »
          You would think that after forty years of high attrition rates they would question the model.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
          committed parent
          « Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 04:15:11 PM »
          If you had a restaurant and 40% of the patrons walked out before finishing their meals you would fire the chef, change the menu, change something before you went out of business.

Hyde seems to survive or thrive on this model however.  None of this would bother me except for the fact that families that need some sort of help end up there and get nothing that they can use.  You could argue that number is around 40%, but I think it is higher.  I never dropped out but as my mother said before she died, "Hyde did nothing for you."

I say this as a warning if you are reading this and think you should send your child there.  You should have clear expectations of what your child's needs are.  Make them explain how they are going to meet those needs.  Get it in writing. I don't disagree with the Gaulds on everything.  Being a parent is the most important job you will do in your life.  Don't subcontract it to any one without clear expectations.  Don't subcontract the job of parenting to some one with a one size fits all solution that may not fit your child or worse, damage your child.  Hyde does not work for everyone.  Based on the numbers of the attrition rate, odds are not great that it will work for you.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          Re: committed parent
          « Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 02:02:25 AM »
          Quote from: ""fomer student""
          Hyde seems to survive or thrive on this model however.  None of this would bother me except for the fact that families that need some sort of help end up there and get nothing that they can use.  You could argue that number is around 40%, but I think it is higher.  I never dropped out but as my mother said before she died, "Hyde did nothing for you."

I say this as a warning if you are reading this and think you should send your child there.  You should have clear expectations of what your child's needs are. ...Don't subcontract the job of parenting to some one with a one size fits all solution that may not fit your child or worse, damage your child.  Hyde does not work for everyone.  Based on the numbers of the attrition rate, odds are not great that it will work for you.

And it is not just that some families who need help, and who do not receive it, that one worries about.  Some very serious damage has been done to some kids.

Quote from: ""Maia Szalavitz""
          What makes these "tough love" programs uniquely dangerous is that they are led by amateurs who believe they are experts. No qualifications are needed to own, operate, or work with kids at such programs -- although they often employ some professionals, their influence is subsumed by the organizations' strict rules and regimes. And while they claim to treat serious mental illnesses and addictions, many of their tactics conflict with proven therapies for these conditions and they often don't even have the expertise to diagnose them properly.

The programs also tend to endorse an outdated view of teen problems in which confronting, humiliating, and degrading adolescents is seen as beneficial -- while kindness is stigmatized as "codependence" or "enabling." As leading addictions-outcomes researcher William Miller, Ph.D. put it in a recent paper, "Four decades of research have failed to yield a single clinical trial showing efficacy of confrontational counseling, whereas a number have documented harmful effects, particularly for more vulnerable populations."

Maia Szalavitz in Getting Tough on Private Prisons for Teens