Author Topic: Peninsula Village - High Dollar, High Risk  (Read 1268 times)

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Peninsula Village - High Dollar, High Risk
« on: October 08, 2007, 09:14:27 AM »
There was a discussion recently about the cost of PV which got me looking for an exact figure.  This is from about a year ago, but should still be accurate, if not lower than current fees.

We appreciate your interest in Peninsula Village - an adolescent residential treatment program of international distinction.  (*SNORT*)Our fees include the following:

$162.40 per day for therapeutic & psychiatric care
$46.40 per day for educational expense
$81.20 per day for room and board

These fees include all services provided for your child by Peninsula Village.  They total $8700 per month...
(Not including the additional fee for restraints)

It is our policy to collect the following deposits no later than the day of admission:  the prorated amount of fees due for the month of admission, $8700 for the first full month after admission, and $8700 to be reserved for the last month of service.

That's $104,400 per year, and for what?  PV's outcome studies are a joke - 125 questionnaires sent out, 33% were returned, and they base their "success" on the 33% who bothered to answer.  It's more telling that 67% couldn't or wouldn't respond.  

Peninsula Village - for parents long on money and short on intelligence.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 09:28:30 AM »
...........33% were returned................

Thats fairly standard for paper surveys, in fact it is on the high end.... I recall the mean being around 26% for this type of survey.  College intranet (paperless) surveys experience the highest response rates (60% +), but "mail outs" have always been low, even before they had other methods.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 10:02:31 AM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""

Thats fairly standard for paper surveys, in fact it is on the high end.... I recall the mean being around 26% for this type of survey.  College intranet (paperless) surveys experience the highest response rates (60% +), but "mail outs" have always been low, even before they had other methods.

Standard in what context?  Goodyear asking you to rate your tires?  No, when it comes to a treatment facility asking $104,400 per annum a parent should expect a more solid database proving success. "Fairly standard" does not cut it when a parent is considering their child's well-being, who.  At least it shouldn't.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:25:50 AM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""

Standard in what context?  Goodyear asking you to rate your tires?  No, when it comes to a treatment facility asking $104,400 per annum a parent should expect a more solid database proving success. "Fairly standard" does not cut it when a parent is considering their child's well-being, who.  At least it shouldn't.

Yes, I agree, it should be higher especially when it comes to giving feedback to schools to benefit other children or influence other parents decisions…. Phones surveys have a better rate, but the responder is not apt to be honest with their answers because they are not as anonymous, so the results are typically questioned.  On-line surveys are the most effective.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 10:28:45 AM »
So their research data on the effectiveness of their methods is based on 41 former inmates who returned the survey? Depending on the quality or bias of the survey, that would put the margin of error in their statistics at what? Plus or minus 50% or so?

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 10:50:01 AM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""

Yes, I agree, it should be higher especially when it comes to giving feedback to schools to benefit other children or influence other parents decisions…. Phones surveys have a better rate, but the responder is not apt to be honest with their answers because they are not as anonymous, so the results are typically questioned.  On-line surveys are the most effective.

Which begs the question, does PV really want an effective and accurate outcome study?  Also, I don't know how they chose the alumni who received the surveys, either. PV views an "alumnus" as someone who left when PV said they could, not a child pulled out by the parents "AMA".  You see how the deck was stacked in PV's favor in the survey, and they still present a shabby showing of "success".

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 01:51:55 AM »
Bump
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]