Author Topic: Wine tasting for school parents results in drama.  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
Wine tasting for school parents results in drama.
« on: October 06, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »
http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/ed ... ci_7038216

Wine-tasting event flier not tasteful
Editorial / Opinion
Article Launched: 09/29/2007 10:15:51 AM EDT

Kerrie Tarbell of Leominster told the Sentinel & Enterprise recently that she complained to the school department when her 12-year-old son, Nathaniel, came home from Samoset Middle School with a flier advertising a wine-tasting event.

Tarbell, 37, said the flier, promoting a wine tasting on Thursday to raise money for the nonprofit Leominster Education Foundation, isn't an appropriate thing to go home with kids.

She wasn't expecting to see it again, but last week her 11-year-old son, Casey, came home from Fall Brook Elementary School with the same flier.

"The schools are basically saying, 'Hey, there's a wine tasting, give this to mommy and daddy so we can get drunk with them,'" Tarbell said.

Other parents have also complained to the Sentinel & Enterprise, saying the flier has come home with children as young as first-graders.

Tarbell said the flier sends kids the message that drinking is acceptable.

"It's not appropriate, it's telling kids it's OK," she said. "With all the information telling you about drugs, alcohol, saying 'watch out for your prescription drugs,' this is the wrong message. What if they're not getting good guidance at home? Shouldn't they at least be getting good guidance at school, always?"

But Superintendent Nadine Binkley said she didn't think the flier was inappropriate.

"It's not promoting it for students," Binkley said. "We're promoting it for parents. It's a wine tasting. I didn't think it was inappropriate,
Advertisement
and we're not inviting students to be part of it."

Binkley said the event, which is nearly sold out, is not an opportunity for adults to get drunk, but rather sample wine and appetizers and socialize.

"This is not an event I would imagine people becoming inebriated at," she said. "You taste very, very small quantities of wine. It's much more of a social event."

The foundation is raising money to purchase mobile computer labs for city schools, and has already raised $16,600, not counting the money from tickets to the wine tasting, Binkley said.

Karyn Doherty, secretary of the foundation committee, said she is sensitive to Tarbell's complaint and said she will consider advertising another way if the wine tasting becomes an annual event.

"Anytime you do something for the first time, you're going to get scrutinized ... It's meant to be a social event, we're not focusing on the alcohol consumption," she said. "This is the first complaint I've heard."

Certainly, we don't think there's anything wrong with the education foundation holding a wine-tasting event to raise money for the public schools.

But they have to understand that whenever alcohol is served at a fundraiser, or in this case is the primary focus of the fundraiser, it's going to raise questions and some concerns.

We also think Binkley is naive to think that some people -- even if it's just a few people -- won't be walking out of the fundraiser a little more inebriated than when they went in.

We encourage the event's organizers to make sure these people have rides home.

At the same time, we think it was a poor decision to send the fliers home with students, especially young students, who shouldn't be concerning themselves with wine-tasting events.

There's plenty of ways to make the public aware of these events, including through this newspaper, without sending wine-tasting fliers home with very young children.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: BECAUSE SPITTING OUT WINE INTO A BUCKET MEANS YOURE A FUCKING DRUNKARD!!!

Jesus CHRIST what is wrong with our culture. People flip out with the anti drug nonsensical bullshit about a wine tasting for thier PARENTS.

Holy shit!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 07:14:29 PM »
Methinks tarring and belling Kerrie Tarbell might help her redirect her priorities... What's really sick about this though is that apparently, this is not just one person.  Somebody else got on their high horse enough to write an editorial on the subject.

What better way to teach elementary kids about the evils of alcohol.  Geesh.

Aside:  Who wrote the editorial?  I could not find a name.  Perhaps Tarbell did.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 10:51:36 PM »
I am genuinely puzzled. Surely these things are like chocolate raffles in terms of commonality
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 11:02:41 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
I am genuinely puzzled. Surely these things are like chocolate raffles in terms of commonality

Apparently not in all U.S. communities. The South is a little different than other parts of the country.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 11:18:43 PM »
was this in the south?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:51:57 PM »
My mistake. This was actually in Massachussetts, a supposedly liberal northern state. This kind of public reaction to a wine-tasting education fundraiser might be more likely in the Bible Belt, but then again there are religious zealots everywhere.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 03:18:22 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
My mistake. This was actually in Massachussetts, a supposedly liberal northern state. This kind of public reaction to a wine-tasting education fundraiser might be more likely in the Bible Belt, but then again there are religious zealots everywhere.

Don't automatically assume this is religious zealots.  Don't underestimate the influence of the 12 steppers, DARE (Straight), and the DFAF (Straight) among others in our culture.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)