Author Topic: Fighting our own congress.... George Miller sell out...  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Fighting our own congress.... George Miller sell out...
« on: October 05, 2007, 07:08:33 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen I bring to you news of something that really shouldn't be a surprise. Our esteemed Congressperson George Miller is going to be holding hearings regarding abuse in private programmes. This committee will be hearing witnesses to shed light on the abuses found in private facilities. I've just learned, via an anonymous source, survivors will not be testifying in front of this committee.

What this implies my fellow rabble rousers is that your story isn't important enough to George Miller. The hardships, pain, agony, and sheer hell of your program experience just doesn't much to Mr. George Miller. At this up and coming hearing in front of Congressman Miller's committee your voices will not be heard. I find the irony of the situation staggering.

Here we have a man presenting legislation to increase the funding, fifty million dollars worth, to ensure licensing of programmes. No where in this legislation does it call for the abolition of unlicensed programmes. No where in this legislation does it even attempt to define what exactly consists of a programme. In this legislation you will find no attempts made to safe guard the rights of children either. At best this legislation, in my opinion, is a hollow shell.

The same sort of hollow shell that was first presented to congress in the Nixon administration. It was back then the funding for SEED was approved by congress. Funding for a programme based on synonan of all places. Remember synonan at all anyone? I seem to recall that Synonan at best can be described as a deranged cult. With the collapse of the SEED we saw the spawning of Straight.

Straight the same government approved, funded, and supported programme that incarcerated how many young men and women? It gets even better. Straight was fully licensed in the state of Florida. From what I understand it was fully licensed in other states. One only needs to think back to the story of Ginger Warbis to know that she was forcefully extradited back to the state of Florida on behalf of Straight after fleeing for her freedom, life, and what was left of her sanity.

This new bill is an empty vessel. It in no way furthers our cause. Here we are fighting to keep children safe. This bill allows those programmes under license to skip along their merry way. That treasured license will no doubt be cold comfort for the parents, friends, and family of the young men and women who die at the hands of those licensed programmes. Perhaps the funerals of the falled children will have a flag draped over their coffin in the pattern of the programme's license? I worked for two different programmes for nearly four years.

Both of these programmes were, and are, licensed by government. Three Springs of Alabama has not only been shown to be abusive by myself, but other staff and young men and women have stepped forward with the same sad claims. Three Springs of Wayne County Georgia suffered a tragic death due to dehydration and yet this programme was allowed to continue on. Eckerds, specifically Camp E-Kel-Etu of Silver Springs Florida, killed a young boy named Michael Wiltky(spelling?). Both of these companies are licensed and there are so many more programmes that are licensed who are abusive or have killed young men or women.

SAFE of Orlando
Benchmark
Peninsula Village
Youth Care
Aspen Educational Group
Elan
Hyde
Carlbrook

Remember though none of your stories are important enough to be heard by Congressmen George Miller and his little committee. Survivors from the above organizations, all licensed of course, and places like WWASP will recieve no voice. Your examples will be unheard by our representatives.

The examples of young men and women killed, abused, injured, and left mentally scarred are so endless my very existence is in danger of imploding to even try to recount all the occurances. Because we are being ignored, more importantly the young men and women who have survived these places are being ignored, I'm hoping some or all of you will join with me to try and stop this legislation. I see no benifits stemming from Congressman George Miller's legislation. I can only see more blood, tears, and dead children coming away from all of this.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 07:51:27 AM »
Get yourself cooler
Lay yourself low
Coincidental murder
With nothing to show
With the judges constipation
Will go to his head
And his wifes aggravation
Youll soon end up dead

Its the same old story
Same old song and dance, my friend
Its the same old story

Gotcha with the cocaine
They found with your gun
No smooth face laywer
Could get ya undone
Say love aint the same
On the south side of town
You could look
But you aint gonna find it around

Its the same old story
Its the same old story
Same old story
Same old song and dance

Fate comes a-knockin
Doors start lockin
Your old time connection
Change your direction
You aint gonna change it
Cant rearrange it
Cant stand the pain
When its all the same to you, my friend

When youre low down and dirty
From walkin the street
With your old hurdy gurdy
No one to meet
Said love aint the same
On the south side of town
You could look
But you aint gonna find it around

Its the same old story
Its the same old story
Same old story
Same old song and dance
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 07:51:35 AM »
SAFE of Orlando
Benchmark
Peninsula Village
Youth Care
Aspen Educational Group
Elan
Hyde
Carlbrook

Remember though none of your stories are important enough to be heard by Congressmen George Miller and his little committee. Survivors from the above organizations, all licensed of course, and places like WWASP will recieve no voice. Your examples will be unheard by our representatives.

Just a point of clarification, fwiw. While SAFE, PV, YC and some AEG programs are licensed...... Benchmark, Elan, and many AEG programs are not. Not sure about Carlbrook and Hyde.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 07:53:06 AM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Just a point of clarification, fwiw. While SAFE, PV, YC and some AEG programs are licensed...... Benchmark, Elan, and many AEG programs are not. Not sure about Carlbrook and Hyde.

What difference does that make?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 07:55:02 AM »
One more thing. I really didn't pay any attention to the GAO thing. Just didn't expect much. But awhile back, a good friend convinced me that it was an ingenious plan to get our stories on the public record as sworn testimony and affidavit.

So much for that.

Fuck those assholes. All good intentions aside, they're just not on our side.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 10:16:21 AM »
I'm sorry but it looks like at lot of people are jumping to doomsday conclusions. Did I miss the memo? Where was it said that survivors would not be allowed to testify? I only saw an accusation made in another post that now seems to be taken as fact.

In regards to the legislation, haven't read it sadly. However licenses ain't exactly hollow. Spring Creek Lodge would have been investigated had they been licensed because a few officials cared about and believed the kids. Nothing happened because in that State they had no authority over that hell hole and now that opportunity has passed. Let's not even bring up States like  Missouri.

I know that getting programs licensed will not stop the abuse. That's not the point, the point is to give us something to fight with. We still have to do the work, we still have to fight corrupt States like Tennessee, we still have to spread the word and give survivors places to speak.

Ending abuse, ultimately, will only come with the societal change that ended Jim Crow and made nigger a word people were ashamed to speak. Victory is never found in the Congress, the White house, or the Courts. They only get involved after the war has been won in the streets and hearts of the public.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 10:55:31 AM »
We gave our statement  to the GAO investigator; and I sincerely hope that survivors will be speaking at this hearing on behalf of my daughter.
Since a witness list has not been publicy published; I will wait and see if survivors have been excluded from this hearing.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 11:10:10 AM »
Quote from: ""Scarlett Chiclet""
Quote from: ""Deborah""

What difference does that make?

Not much. TSW listed a few programs that aren't licensed. A "point of clarification, fwiw."

The benefit of licensing? Few, but check out the latest inspection report for Ridge Creek. Record-breaking violations.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p=285705#285705
One small way parents can gain information about programs if they choose to look. Not all states posts this info publicly, but it's available upon request.

It has been my understanding all along that Miller's primary focus was WWASP and ASTARTs was "unlicensed/unregulated" programs.... misleading at best, as abuse, neglect, human right violations occur in licensed programs as well. Neither have ever held the goal of 'shutting down programs'. Is that really 'news' to people?

I have always questioned ASTARTs agenda, particularly Robert Friedman, with his connects to CHADD, SAMHSA, Bazelon, and the New Freedom Commission.
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?p=142657#142657
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p=282091#282091

Friedman/ Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute supports Teen Screen
http://cfs.fmhi.usf.edu/cfsnews/2004new ... grants.htm
Teen Screen
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p=213026#213026
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?p=52430#52430

A Look at Private Residential Treatment Facilities for Youth:

Over the past decade in the United States, hundreds of private residential treatment facilities for youth have been established, and many are neither licensed as mental health programs by states, nor accredited by respected national accrediting organizations. Unfortunately, reports from a number of these programs reveal that a significant number of children are being mistreated, and in some cases, are even dying in them.

In order to address the rising concerns of mistreatment and financial gain at the expense of desperate parents, a multi-disciplinary group of mental health professionals and advocates formed the Alliance for the Safe, Therapeutic and Appropriate use of Residential Treatment (A START). A START was initiated in 2005 as a collaborative effort involving the Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute (FMHI) at the University of South Florida and the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law. A START members, including FMHI interim Dean Robert Friedman and Allison Pinto from the institute’s Department of Child & Family Studies, recently contributed to an article published in a special issue of the American Journal of Orthospychiatry focused on residential treatment for children and adolescents. The Journal is dedicated to informing public policy and professional practice and expanding knowledge related to human rights and social justice.

Unlicensed [should be scratched]Residential Programs: The Next Challenge in Protecting Youth reviews the licensing, regulatory and accrediting procedures associated with the protection of youth in residential programs, or the lack thereof. It describes a range a mistreatment and abuse described by youth, families and journalists, listing poor quality education, harsh discipline, inappropriate seclusion and restraint, unqualified staff, medical and nutritional neglect, rights violations and even death. The article also outlines policy implications and provides recommendations for the protection of youth and families who pursue residential treatment.

“A START recognizes that residential treatment is an appropriate placement for some youngsters and that there are high quality programs being administered by committed and competent staff,â€
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 11:45:41 AM »
It has been my understanding all along that Miller's primary focus was WWASP and ASTARTs was "unlicensed/unregulated" programs.... misleading at best, as abuse, neglect, human right violations occur in licensed programs as well. Neither have ever held the goal of 'shutting down programs'. Is that really 'news' to people?

Whitmore Academy was licensed by the State of Utah when we enrolled our daughter in October 2004.

As stated by Deborah - being "licensed" does not guarantee the facility will not be abusive, neglectful.
Whitmore Academy is now closed. The criminal case against the owner, Cheryl Sudweeks ended in a plea bargain; and there is currently an on-going civil case against the owners/Whitmore Academy.

Licensing, without oversight and monitoring is not very effective, IMO.

Offline Pitbull Mom

• View Profile
GAO witnesses
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 02:09:01 PM »
Has anyone actually seen a list of witnesses, or is this just all gossip?  Do we know for CERTAIN there won't be any survivors?  There is supposed be an opportunity for letters to be read, I am currently trying to confirm this.  I had hoped to be called as a witness to testify that my son DIED in a LICENSED, ACCREDITED facility with a medical staff of 3 people.  He went there voluntarily, with a medical diagnosis. And that the program he was in was marketed as a step down facility from a psych unit for kids with psychiatric disorders, with a medical program. If so, why is he DEAD? Why couldnt' they respond to a medical emergency if they are so qualified? Even if the committe doesn't buy into the abuse from survivors, how can they ignore a medical neglect situation like this, or like Michelle Sutton's medical neglect, or Ian August, or Aaron Bacon, or all the other kids whose medical needs were IGNORED? I was hoping to present a mainstream horror story for the committe. This could happen to their kids or grandkids.
Pitbull Mom

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 02:29:04 PM »
When (if) the list of witnesses is made available, people can draw their own conclusions but I am of the opinion that the committee was unfairly and unduly influenced by a group of "parents" with ties to A-START who could be accurately described as a "special interest" group.

If there are any survivors asked to testify, why haven't they come forward?  

TSW's information is accurate.  Miller's staff is contacting people to testify and so far, the grapevine does suggest there are no survivors on board.  That may change if people make a big enough stink - but I suggest survivors not wait for confirmation.  The handwriting is already on the wall.  The committee gets to hear testimony only from people cherry-picked by Miller's staff.  

Survirors, please get a move on and be ready to present your statements at the hearing to the media.  Even one survivor testifying would help but clearly, this isn't and never was about survivors.  It's about parents of dead children having a "voice" and a chance for special interest groups to make their case for reform, not abolishment of a fraudulent, deadly industry.  Politics are most definitly at play here.

And Miller has indeed, dropped the ball.  Both on the hearings, and the bill, which as written, does nothing to protect children from loss of liberty and exploitation in the name of "treatment".  Some people saw this early on others are just now figuring it out.  

The question is what are you going to do about it?  If you can afford to go to the hearing, then do so and represent yourself.  Bring statements from fellow survivors and staff who can't go.  Don't roll over. Don't be invisible!!!!

Survivors should be front and center.  Not delegated to the back of the room to make room for parents and special interest groups with surveys and testimonials collected from unwitting participants (survivors) who can and should be allowed TO SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES instead of being used by these groups to push their OWN agenda.

:flame:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 02:53:07 PM »
Why should survivors of "institutionalized" child abuse be used by any special interest group and even certain controversial so-called advocates with ties to the referral industry and others who have an intestest in providing what they consider legitimate "treatment" to youth?  

This is a political football and the hearings nothing more than a full-on dog and pony show.  I am disgusted.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 01:57:04 AM »
Elan School License:

Elan School
P.O. Box 578
Poland, ME 04274
ADMISSIONS: Connie Kimball, 207-998-4666.
AGES/GRADES: Males and females ages 13-18 in graded 7 day per week, 12 month per year program.
THERAPEUTIC SERVICES: Intensive life skills program incorporates group and family meetings and individual work as needed.
THERAPEUTIC ORIENTATION: Character building confrontational orientation, emphasizing honesty, integrity and hard work using interpersonal, cognitive behavioral, psychodynamic and community approaches.
POPULATION SERVED: Behavioral, emotional, ADD, oppositional defiant disorder, conduct disorder, juvenile offender, and learning disabilities.
LICENSURE: Licensed by the State of Maine as a private, special purpose school, MA Chapter 766 approved, INS approved, NATSAP member.
INSURANCE ACCEPTED: No.
COMMENTS: Elan works with juveniles and young adults to help them see the causes and consequences of their conduct and teaches them the skills of responsible living.

Benchmark License:

While mostly bogus, benchmark does have permission by the state of Calfornia to operate in the form of their Private School affidavit.

http://http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/licensing.html

One could easily argue that the state of California's reluctance to terminate said affidavit represents a de facto state approval to operate.

[/quote]

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 10:46:39 AM »
Quote from: ""Wandering Waygookin""
Elan School License:

Elan School
P.O. Box 578
Poland, ME 04274
ADMISSIONS: Connie Kimball, 207-998-4666.
AGES/GRADES: Males and females ages 13-18 in graded 7 day per week, 12 month per year program.
THERAPEUTIC SERVICES: Intensive life skills program incorporates group and family meetings and individual work as needed.
THERAPEUTIC ORIENTATION: Character building confrontational orientation, emphasizing honesty, integrity and hard work using interpersonal, cognitive behavioral, psychodynamic and community approaches.
POPULATION SERVED: Behavioral, emotional, ADD, oppositional defiant disorder, conduct disorder, juvenile offender, and learning disabilities.
LICENSURE: Licensed by the State of Maine as a private, special purpose school, MA Chapter 766 approved, INS approved, NATSAP member.
INSURANCE ACCEPTED: No.
COMMENTS: Elan works with juveniles and young adults to help them see the causes and consequences of their conduct and teaches them the skills of responsible living.

Benchmark License:

While mostly bogus, benchmark does have permission by the state of Calfornia to operate in the form of their Private School affidavit.

http://http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/licensing.html

One could easily argue that the state of California's reluctance to terminate said affidavit represents a de facto state approval to operate.

The affidavit isn't an authorization from the state to do anything... The "school" simply registers the school with the state ( a requirement to operate ).  Anybody can do this.  Home-schoolers are required to as well.  Benchmark filed lies in it's affidavit (signed, of course, like all affidavits, under penalty of perjury) but the DoE does not have the jurisdiction to do anything about the perjury...  I was told flat out that you can lie on a private school affidavit, set up a school, and get away with it (this is George Miller's State, btw).

A private school affidavit is not a licence or accreditation of any sort, and to claim as such is illegal (but again, benchmark does, and again, nothing is done).

Benchmark claims it's a school to some and an RTC to others, while at the same time arguing that it needs licensing or regulation as neither.  Among other things, this "name game" is something that I don't think is thoroughly addressed in Miller's bill.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Joyce Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 11:41:09 AM »
Whitmore Academy's license to operate a Therapeutic Residential Treatment facility was "surrendered" in December 2004 to  the State of Utah following the allegations of abuse against the owners Mark and Cheryl Sudweeks, and the on-going criminal investigation which began in October 2004.

But, Whitmore Academy continued to operate; and to accept new students. The owners simply "renamed" Whitmore Academy a "boarding school" and no longer required licensing - as discused in this article in the Salt Lake City Tribune:

Private school doesn't like state's 'therapeutic' label
By Kirsten Stewart

The Salt Lake Tribune

4/29/2005

A private Utah school is fighting against state regulation, arguing it is not a "therapeutic" facility - which are covered by a new law that seeks to crack down on the state's thriving teen help industry.

Administrators at Whitmore Academy in Nephi say they run a boarding school, not a treatment facility catering to troubled teens. They are asking for an exemption to the new licensing category, which goes into effect on May 2.

But state Human Services licensing director Ken Stettler believes "they're hiding behind the moniker of a boarding school" to avoid state oversight.

"All the information they've provided to parents of kids there is they provide counseling for emotional growth and behavioral changes. They cater to kids who have failed in their settings at home," said Stettler.

The new law defines "therapeutic schools" as serving students "who have a history of failing to function at home or public school" and that offer "room and board and specialized structure or treatment related to a disability or emotional development."

Matt Sudweeks, who owns Whitmore with his wife, Cheryl, says he has gotten out of the teen-help business. Whitmore formerly also operated a residential treatment center. But Sudweeks surrendered the center's license last December after a student alleged he was physically and verbally abused at Whitmore.
Utah's Division of Child and Family Services substantiated eight counts of abuse and neglect. The facility is still under criminal investigation by the Juab County Attorney's Office.

Whitmore's attorney, Matt Hilton in Kaysville, says the school - now enrolling 32 students, ages 12 to 17 - employs an educational counselor, but does not submit students to therapy.

Said Sudweeks, "We're licensed with state Board of Education as a boarding school. We cater to kids having trouble in public school system."

Stettler says Whitmore is the only one of five schools under review for regulation to balk at the new rules.

Whitmore, located in a historic mansion on Nephi's Main Street, also was recently cited with numerous fire code violations.

Brent R. Halladay, assistant state fire marshal, says the school has until mid-May to update its automatic sprinkler and fire alarm systems, build a new set of stairs to provide more than one exit, install fire extinguishers and repair electrical problems.

Halladay says the Sudweeks have "been very cooperative."

But violations were such that, until they are corrected, Sudweeks is required to have someone keep fire watch over the building every day from 7 p.m. until 7 a.m.

Although the Sudweeks lost their license to operate a "therapetutic residential treatment facility;"....and although criminal charges were filed by County Attorney Jared Eldridge against the owner, Cherly Sudweeks - and the criminal case ended with Cheryl Sudweeks accepting a plea bargain:  
Whitmore Academy continued to operate for well over a year; until  the Sudweeks decided to close this facility, themselves.

Ken Stettler, Head of Licensing of Utah admits in this article that facilties can "rename" themselves and avoid "oversight."