Author Topic: Any info on Boulder Creek Academy in Bonners Ferry, Idaho?  (Read 27102 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Any info on Boulder Creek Academy in Bonners Ferry, Idaho?
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2007, 11:17:51 PM »
did you graduate?

when where you there / what school?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2007, 03:00:09 AM »
Quote from: ""try another castle""
without refunding the $350 - $4,000 your parents have already paid.

Don't forget the $20 charge every christmas for secret santa, whether your santa gets you something or not. (I think I only got a present the first year.)

Yes, I shit you not, there was, indeed, a secret santa clause.

How did they even manage a secret santa? were you actually allowed to leave campus to shop? Also how could you not get a gift. Doesn't everyone get someone elses name from the hat? or does it work differently in the US?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2007, 03:09:39 AM »
1. We made all the gifts. That's why it's hilarious that they charged our parents exorbitant fees for the materials to make the gifts. 90% of the shit we made was garbage. Business as usual - find every item and over charge the customer for it as often as possible.

2. It's not like a real secret santa program.  For a week or so we just made gifts for family  /friends. It was called santa's workshop. Hell, I can't even remember the secret part. From a CEDU perspective You'd expect the staff to make sure we followed through on the secret gifts and call us thoughtless losers for not doing so.....but I don't recall any of that. I think they knew life was hell at Xmas and didn't want to touch that sore spot.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2007, 04:02:14 AM »
No, actually, there was a secret santa like they have at jobs. I can't remember how they managed to pair up 150 kids, but it was pretty close to a draw out of a hat type system if memory serves.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2007, 05:17:03 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
1. We made all the gifts. That's why it's hilarious that they charged our parents exorbitant fees for the materials to make the gifts. 90% of the shit we made was garbage. Business as usual - find every item and over charge the customer for it as often as possible.
At Benchmark they did this with "Building Trades".  Ultimately, parents were charged for this "class" as part of the program.  Everybody gets to make a dresser, lamp, coffee table, etc...  They use the crap stuff built to furnish the "student" apartments.  The good stuff is sold off to the locals...  Think about it: high quality, hand made furnature (and they actually did teach us how to build stuff well, i'll give them that)... You can make a mint off that.  Free all day labor too!
2. It's not like a real secret santa program.  For a week or so we just made gifts for family  /friends. It was called santa's workshop.
Holy shit!  that is what it was called at Benchmark too... though it probably shouldn't surprise me given it's a CEDU clone
Hell, I can't even remember the secret part. From a CEDU perspective You'd expect the staff to make sure we followed through on the secret gifts and call us thoughtless losers for not doing so.....but I don't recall any of that. I think they knew life was hell at Xmas and didn't want to touch that sore spot.

Ok.  Here's what Benchmark staff did:  we had a secret santa system as well... everybody's name was put in a hat, shaken up, and picked out randomly by students(the random part turned to be a really dumb idea).  We were then bussed to wal-mart where we were each given 10 dollar gift cards to spend on a present...  I forgot what I got but I remember I did not like it... Turns out my secret Santa had a sense of humor and wasn't exactly fond of me.

Apart from that, the only present I got from my parents (gameboy advance) was confiscated by staff "til level 2, and you write a proposal to be allowed it back"...

I was actually one of the few who was allowed the "privilege" of a visit with my parents on Christmas, but only because a death in the family corresponded with that holiday, my parents kept insisting, and they couldn't really refuse.  They did get the requested visit cut short to a week, though...  The first few days I was silent about what went on at Benchmark.

I was afraid of the consequences. I knew they would tell benchmark what I was saying(I was right).  I was afraid they wouldn't believe me (i was right)... but when they introduced me to this Christian friend of theirs who was offering a place at this local group home.  I, of course, accepted...  I can deal with the fish-folk...  Most of em are pretty cool.  My parents went "ooh... He is willing to go to a religious place!" and decided to take me out of Benchmark.  Benchmark later on successfully convinced my parents that I was manipulating them by playing the religious angle as bait to get taken.  As I understand it, "manipulating" is when a person selectively used information, exaggerated, or lied to get something done.  Simply put, I was willing and very happy to do do what my parents wanted me to do by going to this new place and I did not have to lie.  I figured it couldn't possibly be worse than Benchmark.  The only information I might have omitted about Benchmark I did so because I believed my parents would not believe me (and that was probably wise of me to do).

So I went back to program, waiting for my parents to arrange transportation and things in DC...  A few days later, I get called into Carl's office (parent rep).  He tells me that my con is up and that I'm not getting out.  I'll post more on this later.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
BCA Now
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »
I'm a current student at BCA, and it's been really funny seeing how much of this stuff is the same. I saw a list of the people who work here, and only one has changed, Theresa Thompkins (or something like that). Timms, Wilson, Daskivich, Meiwald and Johnson still work here.

It still runs off of child labor, too.

Beleive me, this place is run by anal retentive, bipolar Nazis who will do anything to make parents beleive that it is for their kids' good, when it is a crock of crap.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2007, 01:12:50 PM »
Are you somehow accessing the Internet from there, or are you at a "home visit"?

If you're at home the time to say "Fuck you, I'm not going back, and I'll kill myself if you force it" is now.

If you're there the time to go apeshit is now.

Either way both of those things are more important than posting HERE.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »
Kazuhite 1 wrote:
I'm a current student at BCA, and it's been really funny seeing how much of this stuff is the same. I saw a list of the people who work here, and only one has changed, Theresa Thompkins (or something like that). Timms, Wilson, Daskivich, Meiwald and Johnson still work here.

It still runs off of child labor, too.

Beleive me, this place is run by anal retentive, bipolar Nazis who will do anything to make parents beleive that it is for their kids' good, when it is a crock of crap.

Thanks for your post, and yes, we want you to get out of there if at all possible.

I have to admit I am starved for details from current students at BCA, so please post more details if you get a chance. My niece is there with you, being held incommunicado, and we are so very worried about her.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bobbyfischer

• View Profile
Re: Any info on Boulder Creek Academy
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2008, 06:25:37 PM »
monthly tuition $6900.00   :timeout:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:23:46 AM by bobbyfischer »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Any info on Boulder Creek Academy in Bonners Ferry, Idaho?
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2008, 06:23:49 PM »
AuntieEm2-

So far there are 2 18 year old Girls at the program. If you don't want to divulge the names, I would be able to know who by the state that they are from.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2008, 09:47:47 AM »
Kazuhite, I don't know you very well, so I have to ask for more info. What's your connection to BCA and why do you want to know about my niece? Or PM me.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: BCA parents letter
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »
Quote from: "AuntieEm2"
Excerpted from the Boulder Creek Academy website (text in color highlighted or added by me):
Message from Academic Dean
September 9, 2007

Dear BCA Parents and Families:

Welcome to our campus – we’re pleased you were able to join us for our Fall Parent Conference and hope you enjoy your stay! [...Blah, blah...] All students who attended a sufficient number of classes received academic credit for work completed this term, either through required coursework, elective classes, physical education, and/or personal growth work, depending on their phase, placement, and educational needs. [[Do students reaclly earn enough academic credits?]] Students may also have received educational support through tutorials, special classes and seminars, theme classes in preparation for personal growth workshops, or study skills development. We invite you to review your child’s reports for the term and check in with us if you have questions.

Our Fall Trimester features several interesting new course offerings and instructors, including:
•    Project Citizen, a team-taught experience in American Government, English Composition, and Rhetoric with Claude Bisson and Kay Short, in which students focus on one central issue and interact with policy makers and government officials at local, state, and national levels [[*except Rep. George Miller D-CA, ha ha]].
•   An expanded Voyager Farm and Voyager Classroom experience for our newest students, orchestrated by returning staff member, Heidi Vandyken, with Jason Munzke and Dawn Wagner;
•   John Kastelic’s Voyager Transitional Class, with focus on research and academic preparedness;
•   Beginning and Intermediate Computer Science classes [[computers? really? they're verbotten, aren't they?]] with new instructor, Paula Curtright;
•   American Sign Language, with foreign language credit and active learning with Marjorie Timms;
•   Experiences in advanced public speaking with Janet Hanson’s ‘Toastmasters’ class, including participation in a community Toastmasters group;
•   A US History-based academic trip to The Glacier Institute, led by Paul Greenhalgh and Lars Hall.
•   Dinner and theatre with Valerie Thompson, John Kastelic and World Literature students enjoying a rollicking Actor’s Repertory Theatre production of All the Great Books (Abridged);
•   Professional Musician Marc Clarke’s new Music Appreciation class and Percussion classes, soon to be joined by Guitarist, Truck Mills;
•   The grand opening of Connie Mier Y Teran’s Culinary Arts Studio, where students can earn a Certificate in Food Handling through the Department of Health;
•   A continuation of Paul Greenhalgh’s exciting Habitat for Humanity project and a return of Chuck Lynn’s popular anthropology-based Archeology class and Museum Service project;
•   Photojournalism, in which Kay Short and professional photographer, Doug Marshall combine their talents in technical writing skill development and creative photography;
•   Dr. Gil Gilberts and Ruth Douthit, experienced special educators, offering programs in Reading, French, and Learning Skills, along with outstanding Tutor, Willow Feller.
The teachers and professional staff would enjoy the chance to share all that’s happening at BCA this fall; feel free to visit with them during your stay and find out why Boulder Creek Academy is committed to providing an exceptional educational experience for your child. Enjoy!

Marjorie Timms, Ph.D.
Director of Education/Academic Dean

So here is a more detailed list of the staff at BCA. Look at all these classes--this is BS, right? This can't be for real, can it?

Auntie Em

hilarious! they still have the same all-star team of shitty teachers! and wow...pretty much everything that was offered before, only shittier...

...they decided to bundle up government and composition + rhetoric as one class?? leave it to BCA to promote that as a GOOD thing...they used to be separate classes (as they should be)...

...the fact that kay short is still teaching composition means your kids won't be learning to write worth shit...

...voyager classroom, good to see they've still got a flowery-named class for fingerpainting (literary) and horticulture (make that horticulture minus any scientific method, so just gardening basically)...

...computers are allowed there but now that jim hooper is apparently gone I can't imagine they'll be teaching anything useful to the handful of students that are actually allowed to use them...

...culinary arts studio...hahahaha...we had a pottery studio too, that doesn't mean it had any functional pottery tools or that anyone ever used it even once...I'm sure your kid will be an oatmeal raisin cookie-making guru by the time your bank account is empt..I mean by the time they graduate...

...a habitat for humanity project? instead of just laboring away on campus all day they'll pimp you out to the national audobon society as well...

...french lessons? I wonder if they'll be as good as the spanish lessons they used to have...the "tutor" was still learning the language herself...

but here's the best of all that:

...kay short's technical writing development expertise combined with doug marshall's "professional" photography expertise for a photojournalism experience??? I'd rather take ballet lessons from barry bonds. by the time you finished that "photojournalism" class you'd know less about photography and writing than you did at the outset.

well clearly they've really beefed up the academics there and your kid will obviously be getting a top notch edjumacation, so seriously parents, keep on sending them out there!

Offline Kazuhite

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2008, 07:59:31 AM »
Kazuhite, I don't know you very well, so I have to ask for more info. What's your connection to BCA and why do you want to know about my niece? Or PM me.

Auntie Em

I would PM, bu I can't seem to get it to work. :/

I really want to know for no other reason then curiosity. I'm a current student at that hellhole, and Anyone who hates that place is a friend of mine.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2008, 10:20:16 AM »
Quote from: "Kazuhite"

Auntie Em

I really want to know for no other reason then curiosity. I'm a current student at that hellhole, and Anyone who hates that place is a friend of mine.

you on a home visit or something? or are you guys actually able to get on the internet there and go to whatever sites you want? you'd think they'd block fornits or something, that place is getting really, really easy huh?

Offline Baby Cakes

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2008, 11:59:33 AM »
Quote from: "Kazuhite"

Auntie Em

I don't know about anyone else, but this seems extremely suspect to me. Unless they are on a home visit. I seriously doubt that BCA has unlimited web access on their computers. Em, I'd leave this alone. I'll write you later k?