Author Topic: The 10 Priorities (from Biggest Job)  (Read 20748 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The 10 Priorities (from Biggest Job)
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2007, 03:04:22 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
Priority #6
Allow Obstacles To Become Opportunities

How do we view obstacles? We can get caught up in trying to "fix" problems instead of seeing the potential possibilities for growth. If we view obstacles with this different set of "glasses," we liberate our children from avoiding obstacles. We need to trust that our children are on an unpredictable journey-one that we cannot and should not try to control even when they hit a rough spot. To interfere with that journey, obstacles and all, we take away their opportunity t o work through it. We need to say to our children more often, "Sounds like you are struggling, what are you going to do about it?"

Priority 6 presupposes courage. Hyde prides itself on teaching courage; it is one of the Five Words. But just try fighting back when Paul Hurd is beating you up. Try defending a girl's right to remain silent in a discovery group when she does not wish to describe her rape. Try challenging Joe Gauld's authority. Yes, Hyde teaches courage, very narrowly defined. What everybody who's been through the Hyde experience knows is that Hyde teaches the cowardice of conformity.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2007, 12:46:31 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Priority 6 presupposes courage. Hyde prides itself on teaching courage; it is one of the Five Words. But just try fighting back when Paul Hurd is beating you up. Try defending a girl's right to remain silent in a discovery group when she does not wish to describe her rape. Try challenging Joe Gauld's authority. Yes, Hyde teaches courage, very narrowly defined. What everybody who's been through the Hyde experience knows is that Hyde teaches the cowardice of conformity.

Hyde teaches us to submit to its physical, emotional, and sexual abuses. It teaches us to acquiese. It teaches us to collaborate. It takes away our last shred of self-respect. It remakes us in its image. It commends our courage and integrity.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2007, 02:26:59 AM »

Hyde teaches us to submit to its physical, emotional, and sexual abuses. It teaches us to acquiese. It teaches us to collaborate. It takes away our last shred of self-respect. It remakes us in its image. It commends our courage and integrity.

... and leadership.

Hyde understands that certain qualities that parents look for in their children, namely, courage, integrity, and leadership, are incompatible with the Hyde process. And so Hyde makes these three of the Five Principles, paints them on all the walls, and makes them part of the daily lexicon. Unless the student is an imbecile, she will sooner or later realize that she has been brainwashed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2007, 02:58:46 AM »
Unless the student is an imbecile, she will sooner or later realize that she has been brainwashed.

Why "she is an imbecile?" Why not "he is an imbecile?"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2007, 03:20:17 AM »
Unless the student is an imbecile, she will sooner or later realize that she has been brainwashed.

I was being politically correct.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2007, 08:15:31 AM »
I was being politically correct.

I think the goal of the "politically correct" aspect would be to be all inclusive or, at the very least, non-excluding.  So, if you really want to get nit-picky, the proper form would be "he or she," or "he/she."  I don't think the order makes much difference; just use whichever rolls off the tongue better given the rest of the sentence, etc. etc. etc.

Of course I would know this, since I am such a well-adjusted and sensitive individual... NOT!!  Ha ha haaa!!  Must be all that time spent soaking in the Hyde sunshine...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2007, 08:38:44 AM »
I think the goal of the "politically correct" aspect would be to be all inclusive or, at the very least, non-excluding.  So, if you really want to get nit-picky, the proper form would be "he or she," or "he/she."  I don't think the order makes much difference; just use whichever rolls off the tongue better given the rest of the sentence, etc. etc. etc.

Don't you mean "she or he," or "she/he"? In academia, it seems the formula is shortened to "she," and "he" is introduced if there is a second person, making it a useful distinction between, say, principal and agent in an economics paper.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2007, 08:51:36 AM »

Don't you mean "she or he," or "she/he"? In academia, it seems the formula is shortened to "she," and "he" is introduced if there is a second person, making it a useful distinction between, say, principal and agent in an economics paper.

In common usage, it had been my impression that the order appears to be more or less determined by what sounds better given the contextual surrounds...  Of course, I cannot vouch for what goes on in higher echelons of greater learning, at least in this realm, and from the sounds of it, it may well be that the protocol has drifted into a greater degree of fine-tuning than I had been aware of.  Interesting.

Well, as a wise somebody once said to me:  "Ya ain't gonna learn anything new 'till you're willing ta make a fool of yourself!"

Personally, I like more emphasis on the 2nd syllable than on the first, which is why I wrote it the way that I did.  Starting the sequence off with a "sh" sound with too many syllables after it is more laborious for a bear's tongue.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2007, 09:10:18 AM »
Onward, fornits fomentors...

The thinking in this one is so disorganized I have a hard time getting what the hell they are talking about. Seems almost like they are just mixing Hyde lingo around 'till it sounds good. But the meaning is still gibberish.

This is such a typical lame Hyde sophism: "Often, we need to choose the path that presents the most challenge." Whatever happened to the path that happens to be the right one, challenge or no challenge? Whatever happened to common sense?

Gag me.

============================

Priority #7
Taking Hold And Letting Go

When should we step in and help? When should we close our mouths and step away? This is one of the toughest parenting dilemmas. Often, we need to choose the path that presents the most challenge. If we are lecturing our children, chances are they are not fully listening. If our "gut" is churning and we are unsure about rocking the boat, chances are we need to take hold of the situation by getting involved. One action works off the other. Taking hold helps the letting go process and vice versa.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2007, 09:12:46 AM »
[In common usage, it had been my impression that the order appears to be more or less determined by what sounds better given the contextual surrounds...  Of course, I cannot vouch for what goes on in higher echelons of greater learning, at least in this realm, and from the sounds of it, it may well be that the protocol has drifted into a greater degree of fine-tuning than I had been aware of.  Interesting.

By common usage I'm hoping you don't mean spoken English. I've been out of the States for ages, and I'd have to break quite a few habits in my everyday sidewalk English.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2007, 09:36:55 AM »
I try to use she instead of he just because there's no good reason not to.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2007, 05:00:46 PM »

The thinking in this one is so disorganized I have a hard time getting what the hell they are talking about.  Seems almost like they are just mixing Hyde lingo around 'till it sounds good.  But the meaning is still gibberish.

This is such a typical lame Hyde sophism:  "Often, we need to choose the path that presents the most challenge."  Whatever happened to the path that happens to be the right one, challenge or no challenge?  Whatever happened to common sense?

Gag me.

Priority #7

When should we step in and help? When should we close our mouths and step away? This is one of the toughest parenting dilemmas. Often, we need to choose the path that presents the most challenge. If we are lecturing our children, chances are they are not fully listening. If our "gut" is churning and we are unsure about rocking the boat, chances are we need to take hold of the situation by getting involved. One action works off the other. Taking hold helps the letting go process and vice versa.

I spose being screamed at by Hydites with religious sermon about a lack of character isnt exactly a "lecture", but chances are i'm not gonna want to listen either.,

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2007, 05:28:43 PM »

The thinking in this one is so disorganized I have a hard time getting what the hell they are talking about.  Seems almost like they are just mixing Hyde lingo around 'till it sounds good.  But the meaning is still gibberish.

This is such a typical lame Hyde sophism:  "Often, we need to choose the path that presents the most challenge."  Whatever happened to the path that happens to be the right one, challenge or no challenge?  Whatever happened to common sense?

Gag me.

Priority #7

I spose being screamed at by Hydites with religious sermon about a lack of character isnt exactly a "lecture", but chances are i'm not gonna want to listen either.,

I suppose if you are completely clueless, that is a message you need to hear.  Kids don't listen when you lecture? Really? I did not notice that.  You should be involved in your kids life? Really?  I thought I would just get cable and plop them down in from of the TV.   I agree with the previous poster that said "what about the right path."  IF you could live your life by trite two line inspirational messages the guys at Hallmark would be gurus.

Here is one I read in Gail Shapiro's dorm room:
"A moments insight is worth a life time of experience."

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2007, 07:32:21 PM »
Here is one I read in Gail Shapiro's dorm room:
"A moments insight is worth a life time of experience."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2007, 02:17:43 AM »
Priority #7

In a distant, timeless place, a mysterious prophet walks the sands. At the moment of his departure, he wishes to offer the people gifts but possesses nothing. The people gather round, each asks a question of the heart, and the man's wisdom is his gift. It is Gibran's gift to us, as well, for Gibran's prophet is rivaled in his wisdom only by the founders of the world's great religions. On the most basic topics--marriage, children, friendship, work, pleasure--his words have a power and lucidity that in another era would surely have provoked the description "divinely inspired." Free of dogma, free of power structures and metaphysics, consider these poetic, moving aphorisms a 20th-century supplement to all sacred traditions--as millions of other readers already have. --Brian Bruya