Author Topic: The 10 Priorities (from Biggest Job)  (Read 20563 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
The 10 Priorities (from Biggest Job)
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2007, 03:55:34 PM »
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Sorry, guys... I had NO idea I was "interrupting" such an important conversation...

One of my all-time favorite Dylan tunes is one that nobody seems to have heard of, or at least acknowledges that they have, probably the latter...  He may well not have written that one either.  Probably a case of it being in a minor key (my predilection); the lyrics are not among his best.
    "One More Cup of Coffee" ...'Till I go...  
    To the valley below...

I think Dylan may be betting on people not recognizing their songs any more once he sings them.  Take that any way you wish, ha haa! :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2007, 04:04:22 PM »
Oh it is not important.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvio_O._Conte

Having Paul plagiarize Malcolm is like having one bag lady steal from empties from another bag lady's bag.  When you have Dylan steal from you that is an honor.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2007, 02:21:10 AM »
Quote from: ""Silvio Conte""
Oh it is not important.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvio_O._Conte

Having Paul plagiarize Malcolm is like having one bag lady steal from empties from another bag lady's bag.  When you have Dylan steal from you that is an honor.

In the interest of continuity, "Silvio Conte" (mistakenly?) continued this tale in another thread the following day, namely here:
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=21094&start=37

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2007, 05:03:13 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
I sang: "Silvio, Silver and gold won't by back the beat of a heart grown cold. " I eventually worked out the rest of the chorus that is in the Hunter/Dylan version and a couple of the verses. The Hunter Dylan version has added verses that I did not write. The one I did write that they used verbatum it:

One of these days and it won't be long I going down to the valley and sing my song,
I gonna sing out loud
I gonna sing out strong
Let the echo decide if I was right or wrong.

Are you shitting me? I've been listening to you?! I am impressed.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2007, 06:15:11 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""[i"
not[/i] Ursus"]I sang: "Silvio, Silver and gold won't by back the beat of a heart grown cold. " I eventually worked out the rest of the chorus that is in the Hunter/Dylan version and a couple of the verses. The Hunter Dylan version has added verses that I did not write. The one I did write that they used verbatum it:

One of these days and it won't be long I going down to the valley and sing my song,
I gonna sing out loud
I gonna sing out strong

I should point out, in the interest of giving the bard his due, that the inner quote is not Ursus, but rather Silvio Conte, Emil, Harvard Square Busker, or whatever name he is going by at the moment...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2007, 08:04:11 AM »
I sang: "Silvio, Silver and gold won't by back the beat of a heart grown cold. " I eventually worked out the rest of the chorus that is in the Hunter/Dylan version and a couple of the verses. The Hunter Dylan version has added verses that I did not write. The one I did write that they used verbatum it:

I gonna sing out loud
I gonna sing out strong

No I am not shit you.  You are too big of a turd and you would hurt my bunghole Ha Ha Ha.

Actually think it was Hunter that heard it.  I have some quotes in another Dead song of the period.   I would rather say Dylan.  It is more impressive.  It is like Jeff Black says he completed graduate work at Harvard.   Light a candle and curse the glare as I used to say.  At last Hunter acknowledges he did not author that.  I believe him when he said I opened the note book and found it.  

http://arts.ucsc.edu/Gdead/AGDL/touc.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2007, 03:52:47 AM »
30 years ago the place was really for want of a better phrase "a real mind fuck" So many of the kids were down with the program it was like living in east Germany with the stazi.
Judging from the bits and pieces from more recent years and from talking to people from the late seventies it was never that intense again. I think that is why so many people from that era, that were with the program, are still involved: it was the most compelling experiences of their lives. That is why thirty years on people like me are willing to spend time commenting on it. The nearest thing in fiction I can compare it to was a British TV show called "The Prisoner"

One of the things that was used a the razor to cleave the good from the not worthy was belief in a thing called "National Commitment" which was nothing less that the over throw of the US educational system. If you did not believe in it you were not worthy. In retrospect the folks that were willing to say it was a bunch of crap were the ones with character.
The whole thing is like a dirty family secret. No one I have ever run into from back then was willing to talk about it because it was so preposterous that they sat there and bought into it. It would be like going to a family reunion and talking about the time Uncle Billy was caught in the barn standing in a wheelbarrow outtin' the wood to a cow.

Sects are always small. Sects’ ambitions are always big, if not downright megalomaniac: nothing short of salvation of the world.

The founding fathers, Joe and Ed, were megalomaniacs. But Hyde is changing its look. Malcolm, Laurie, and Laura are more grey-suited accountants than red-robed heroes. For them, character education is strictly a family business, a cash cow, and not a means of ego gratification. They will remain faithful to character education, as it is what sets Hyde apart from other schools. They will try to present to the public a kindlier, preferably female face, rather than Joe's red spitting one.

Unfortunately, the children haven't figured out a way to teach character that doesn't rely on the machine their father built. The group-mediated behavior devices for breaking down individual resistance to authority operate today no differently than they did forty years ago. If anything, the machine is more tried and true, its damage more lasting. Gauldschwitz still stands.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2007, 07:10:53 AM »
Unfortunately, the children haven't figured out a way to teach character that doesn't rely on the machine their father built. The group-mediated behavior devices for breaking down individual resistance to authority operate today no differently than they did forty years ago. If anything, the machine is more tried and true, its damage more lasting. Gauldschwitz still stands.

There's just no reconciling those group-mediated behavior devices for breaking down individual resistance to authority, on the one hand, and courge, integrity, leadership, curiosity, and concern, on the other. The actions and the words are antithetical.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2007, 07:37:10 AM »
30 years ago the place was really for want of a better phrase "a real mind fuck" So many of the kids were down with the program it was like living in east Germany with the stazi.

Judging from the bits and pieces from more recent years and from talking to people from the late seventies it was never that intense again. I think that is why so many people from that era, that were with the program, are still involved: it was the most compelling experiences of their lives. That is why thirty years on people like me are willing to spend time commenting on it. The nearest thing in fiction I can compare it to was a British TV show called "The Prisoner"

One of the things that was used a the razor to cleave the good from the not worthy was belief in a thing called "National Commitment" which was nothing less that the over throw of the US educational system. If you did not believe in it you were not worthy. In retrospect the folks that were willing to say it was a bunch of crap were the ones with character.
The whole thing is like a dirty family secret. No one I have ever run into from back then was willing to talk about it because it was so preposterous that they sat there and bought into it. It would be like going to a family reunion and talking about the time Uncle Billy was caught in the barn standing in a wheelbarrow outtin' the wood to a cow.
Sects are always small. Sects' ambitions are always big, if not downright megalomaniac: nothing short of salvation of the world.

The founding fathers, Joe and Ed, were megalomaniacs. But Hyde is changing its look. Malcolm, Laurie, and Laura are more grey-suited accountants than red-robed heroes. For them, character education is strictly a family business, a cash cow, and not a means of ego gratification. They will remain faithful to character education, as it is what sets Hyde apart from other schools. They will try to present to the public a kindlier, preferably female face, rather than Joe's red spitting one.

The more mainstream this baby gets, the more insidious the bullshit, and all the more difficult to tease out and recognize.

The group-mediated behavior devices for breaking down individual resistance to authority operate today no differently than they did forty years ago.
Or 80 years ago, for that matter, as during that time they were used on POWs in China.  AA used quite a number of them; some AA groups are not so benign and well-meaning.  And I could fill in quite a number of other more notorious groups in this particular space in history, but I won't bore you today.

This concept didn't start with Joe; he just fine-tuned it and specialized it to be used on teenagers.  Nor is he the only one to be employing it.  Take a look around at the rest of fornits.  Everyone has their own take on it, with their own specialized lingo, with their own quirks and inconsistencies which fool many a soul into thinking said program is "unique."

There's just no reconciling those group-mediated behavior devices for breaking down individual resistance to authority, on the one hand, and courge, integrity, leadership, curiosity, and concern, on the other. The actions and the words are antithetical.
:tup:  You said it, brother!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Malcolm weighs in
« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2007, 09:59:47 AM »
Okay... previously we went through the 10 Priorities, which apparently are Laura's missives to the parents, although they are not labeled as such. They are just labeled as the 10 Priorities.  

This section of the website is labeled for Educators, and here's where Malcolm takes a turn.  Some of you may recognize this as having appeared elsewhere.  I know that it has, I just can't remember where.  Speak up, put your two cents in, and illuminate the rest of us with that info!

I almost choked on the phrase, "My twenty-five years as an educator..."  Gee, where have we heard this before?  We've read Dad use these lines edited to read from 20 years... to 30... to 40... to 50...

It sounds like they are really trying to capitalize on the inherent failures of "No Child Left Behind."  But I'm not so sure that there is anything of substance which addresses that issue in this essay:

============================================

A few months ago I sat in a Manhattan restaurant sharing thoughts on education with two seasoned New York City public school educators. The words of one of them have been ringing in my ears ever since we paid the check:
    "We started talking about improving American education back when Lyndon Johnson launched the Great Society. Since then we... put a man on the moon... we removed the beating heart from one dying person and transplanted it in another to prolong life... we can communicate instantly via computer, etc. As for our schools, well, they're worse than they were when LBJ was president!"[/list]
    As a society, it is time to face up to the fact that our miraculous advances in science, medicine and technology have occurred despite a regression in our schools and families. Logic demands that we be highly suspicious of the notion of expecting to continue to enjoy the former without addressing the latter. Furthermore, we must ask the deeper question: How much can we really expect to "enjoy" these advances if the end result continues to be lifeless schools and unfulfilled families?

Meanwhile, we educators soldier on in the face of test score mania, the current educational silver bullet du jour intended to ensure that we "Leave No Child Behind." If you are reading this, perhaps you believe that the focus on testing isn't going to get us where we want go. Maybe you've had students who:
    • Work hard but do not meet the guidelines;
    • Do not meet guidelines and come from families who could care less;
    • Meet the guidelines but are not coming close to fulfilling their learning potential;
    • Meet the guidelines but you suspect they might be cheating;
    • Meet the guidelines but are not progressing in character development.
    Perhaps you've observed schools that appear to manipulate who takes the tests and when they take them in order to "meet" the guidelines. We believe that it's time to face up to a simple truth: We care more about their aptitude than their attitude... and they know it.

My twenty-five years as an educator have taught me an essential lesson: never kid a kid. Despite the fact that they might fail to grasp the most basic math formula, they will never misread our true expectations of them. They know we have created an educational system that values their aptitude more than their attitude, their ability more than their effort, and their talent more than their character. Surrounded by signs that tell them that what they can do is more important than who they are, a growing number have come to a simple realization: If I cannot be good at being good, I might as well be good at being bad. They'd rather be bad than average.

I frequently ask high school students if they know any students at their schools who do next to no academic work and yet consistently make the honor roll. Most casually acknowledge this as common with a shrug: "Sure, some kids just have it and school rewards them." Many point admiringly to the student who is able to get the "A" with next to no effort. Furthermore, many of the students who are making the honor roll don't necessarily believe that their distinction is due to their efforts. They know that cheating is common, if not rampant, even among the top students. They know that many college-bound students, often on the advice of parents and teachers, will avoid taking a particularly challenging advanced course for fear that the low grade they might receive would hurt their chances for admission to an elite college. Regardless of their place in the hierarchy of their schools, kids know it's not about attitude. Absent an inspiring culture, the youth culture often takes over and the results sometimes turn out to be desperate, even tragic, attempts at shock-effect.

The great American movements have been fueled by the catalyst of powerful "either/or" propositions: Patriot or Tory? Blue or Gray? Equal opportunity for all OR separate but equal? For the sake of our kids, a new choice lies before us. It's time for a new view, one that values attitude over aptitude, effort over ability, and character over talent. The Biggest Job was established to help parents and teachers move their families and their schools in directions that reflect these priorities. As we forge ahead, we remain convinced of one thing: Character is inspired, not imparted. We don't pour it into kids; we help them pull it out of themselves. Our true beliefs and motivations set the stage. Attitude or aptitude? Choose today.

Malcolm Gauld
    President, Hyde Schools
    Bath, ME
    Woodstock, CT
    New Haven
    Washington DC
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 08:12:26 AM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #160 on: October 16, 2007, 11:04:32 AM »
    I almost choked on the phrase, "My twenty-five years as an educator..." Gee, where have we heard this before? We've read Dad use these lines edited to read from 20 years... to 30... to 40... to 50...

its the phrase du jour of self-inflated educators.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    please give me another choice
    « Reply #161 on: October 16, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »
    Attitude or aptitude? Choose today.

Geezum crow!.  He is just like the cup chicks.  He has swallowed his fathers shit now he is trying to puke it back into our mouths.

Attitude or aptitude.   We have a moron with attitude but no aptitude running the country.  I don't know about you but I think the results suck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    cup chicks
    « Reply #162 on: October 16, 2007, 12:52:19 PM »
    http://cupchicks.com/

I would not watch it if I were you!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #163 on: October 16, 2007, 02:13:01 PM »
    Yeah, but you don't have the webcam setup to record everyone's reaction to it, ha ha!  I thought that was the main point, no?  Quite frankly, it makes my poop jokes tame by comparison.  I feel so much better.  

Gone are the days when the Hyde forum was the "family channel" on fornits, ha ha.  Thanks a lot, buddy!!
     :rofl:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #164 on: October 16, 2007, 02:19:39 PM »
    Quote from: ""Malcolm Gauld""
    We believe that it's time to face up to a simple truth: We care more about their aptitude than their attitude... and they know it.

I'm confused.  Malcolm seems to be saying it's wrong for schools to care more about aptitude than attitude.  But Hyde School always cared a great deal more about my aptitude at spilling my guts in Seminar, than they cared about my attitude towards bettering myself.  What is the take-home from this?  This is a mixed message.  Good thing I'm not schizophrenic.  Yet.