Author Topic: Basis for research  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Basis for research
« on: September 14, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
AARC can provide leading edge foundation for adolescent chemical dependency research and treatment methodology.
“At present, Canadian professionals are struggling to address how to treat addicted youth. While there are several different approaches, none is clearly the most effectiveâ€
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
Basis for research
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 12:21:40 PM »
Sorry, but the PDE was written by the guy who runs the center.  The Wizard wrote a paper saying how awesome his own program was.  
Nice try.
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Basis for research
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »
...which, I may add holds a wee bit more validity, legitimacy, strength and cogency then your many rants on here young lassssssseeee! xo

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
Basis for research
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 12:31:04 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
...which, I may add holds a wee bit more validity, legitimacy, strength and cogency then your many rants on here young lassssssseeee! xo

pssst.... Ajax13 is a boy!
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Basis for research
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:33:48 PM »
Quote from: ""ajax13""
Sorry, but the PDE was written by the guy who runs the center.  The Wizard wrote a paper saying how awesome his own program was.  
Nice try.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Miller Newton did the same thing.  

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-gulags.html

Miller Newton published a number of books where he espoused his philosophy of child counseling. He even presumed to be qualified to teach other child counselors how to treat children:

Your job is to be an adult whom the teen can rely on to protect him from his own manipulation and high-risk behavior. The adolescent needs "a caring adult", not a buddy.
    Adolescence: guiding youth through the perilous ordeal, Miller Newton, M.Div., Ph.D., page 60.

Why is "a caring adult" in quotation marks like that? Is it a euphemism? Is the "counselor" really something other than "a caring adult"?

And notice how Miller Newton just assumes that all teenagers are manipulative. Newton's contempt for teens is barely veiled.

... positive response from an adolescent patient has a special value to therapists who need esteem-bolstering. This need to be liked sets the therapist up to be manipulated by the patient.
    Adolescence: guiding youth through the perilous ordeal, Miller Newton, M.Div., Ph.D., page 65.

So was Miller Newton a "therapist" who needed esteem-bolstering? Well, no matter, Miller Newton sure didn't let himself get "manipulated" by those schemings teenagers, did he? He beat them and starved them and screamed at them and pulled their hair every time they tried to "manipulate" him.

Negative countertransference has to do with the therapist reacting to the patient in principally negative ways based on issues in the therapist's own life. Negative countertransference, which usually takes place out of the awareness of a counselor, is often harmful to the treatment process. It is critically important in dealing with adolescents to survey personal issues that may end up contaminating the therapeutic relationship.
    Adolescence: guiding youth through the perilous ordeal, Miller Newton, M.Div., Ph.D., 1995, page 64.

Miller Newton wrote that text after having abused children in the Straight and KIDS programs for more than ten years. Whatever his personal issues were, he sure didn't keep them out of the "therapeutic relationship", did he?

Miller Newton repeatedly cited himself as an authority on a variety of subjects. On page 61, Miller Newton declared that "blunt communication" was effective in dealing with teens. That statement was supported by endnote 77. When we go to the back of the book and look at endnote 77, we see that Miller Newton is citing another of his own books, published by himself, as supporting his statements about how to treat children:

I have found that effective therapy with most adolescents involves blunt communication and that fairly directive responses to questions and behaviors are more effective.77
    77. Newton, M. (1990) Getting Straight: Out of a drug distorted adolescent passage (p. 26).
    Adolescence: guiding youth through the perilous ordeal, Miller Newton, M.Div., Ph.D., page 61. Secaucus, NJ: KIDS Centers of America

(Blunt communication, huh? Like punching and hair-pulling?)

And on page 98, Miller Newton did it again. He declared that sex was bad for teens, a statement that was supported by endnote 122, which, in turn, cited that expert on teen sex "Father Newton":
      Newton, M. (1986) Kids, Drugs, and Sex, Tampa: American Studies Press.

There are many more such examples. Miller Newton is one of the most-cited authors in the endnotes of his books. Apparently, he considers himself to be a real expert on how to help children.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Basis for research
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 12:43:24 PM »
ppssst, thanks Rachael, but I can call him whatever I want.  He calls me David. And a guy.  How rude!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Basis for research
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 12:44:19 PM »
ppssst, thanks Rachael, but I can call him whatever I want.  He calls me David. And a guy.  How rude!

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
Basis for research
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 12:51:36 PM »
You may add whatever you want.  The strength aspect of the Wizard's PdE is what really turns me on!  Cogency? Well, he can barely read and write.  Legitimacy? Again, he wrote a paper about his own enterprise.
Carry on though David.
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992