Author Topic: Hair, images and other bullshit  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Hair, images and other bullshit
« on: September 13, 2007, 11:33:31 PM »
I just got my hair cut.  Its now to my shoulders.  That's the first time in over 20 years that I've gotten more than about an inch and a half taken off my hair.  Its been nothing spectacular, kinda mousey brown, upper-mid back, all one length.  That's how it was before I went in, but a lot longer and a lot healthier.  

Hair was a big deal in our time, I don't know about others.  Guys were not allowed to part their hair in the middle, girls had to have it hacked off at at least shoulder length, if not shorter.  And barretts.  Oh my god, the barretts.  Plastered against your head.  Anyway, that's the one, tiny thing that I did outwardly rebell about.  I didn't have a whole lot to feel good about, but I loved my hair.  I was too chicken shit to 'misbehave'.  I was scared shitless.  About 90 lbs soaking wet.  I lasted for about 3 weeks and then they put it in a ponytail and hacked it off.  Waved it in front of me, laughing.  "How pretty are you now bitch?  I can't wait to get you in front of the guys side.  They're tear your ass up."  And they did.

Once I got out I let my hair grow back out to one length.  I never have been able to get it to grow as long and beautiful as it was before.  Maybe that's just the passing of youth.  Doesn't matter, it's not that important.  It was just the one way I felt that I had to control what was happening around me. Stupid I know, but it was all I had.

Now I got my hair cut, just about shoulder length, long layers and I love it.  Really, but people keep telling me that I look so much more 'mature' and 'professional' now....meaning it as a compliment.  But I can't help coming back to that one thing that I felt like I could do to not conform.  

I know this sounds extremely shallow and ridiculous, but I was just thinking.

And I've had a couple beers.

And a couple vapes.

::seg::
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 11:55:10 PM »
Would you believe I get it? Only keepin my hair long is more generalized rebellion against societies "unwritten rules." I still refuse to sacrifice the length of my hair....unless the ends are split and it needs a trim.

With me its not a direct rebellion against Straight but rather I am more rebellious than before I was in Straight, because of Straight, and my hair length is one of those small ways I still "refuse to comply."
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 12:01:12 AM »
Thank god.  I feel like such an idiot about it, but I'll just never be one of those who get that 'older' cut.  What I have is definitely not that.

I saw this woman today, she works in my building.  She's probably 50 - 55 (Im 42).  She has straight, fine hair....just like mine.  She let it go all gray and....swear to god, she looks fantastic!!  I'm going gray to the point that it is noticeable.  Not anywhere near completely, but enough to bother me.  So I have it colored.  ::seg::  This woman looked so good that a big part of me just wanted to go 'fuck it.  I ain't no slave to fashion' and go for it.

Nah, prolly not.  Not there yet.
 :wink:  :D

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
Thank god.  I feel like such an idiot about it, but I'll just never be one of those who get that 'older' cut.  What I have is definitely not that.

I saw this woman today, she works in my building.  She's probably 50 - 55 (Im 42).  She has straight, fine hair....just like mine.  She let it go all gray and....swear to god, she looks fantastic!!  I'm going gray to the point that it is noticeable.  Not anywhere near completely, but enough to bother me.  So I have it colored.  ::seg::  This woman looked so good that a big part of me just wanted to go 'fuck it.  I ain't no slave to fashion' and go for it.

Nah, prolly not.  Not there yet.
 :wink:  :D

I have been colorring my hair for 10 years to hide the grey (I started getting grey in my late 20's). About 4 years ago I was told I was 30% grey...by now its prolly 50%. I will ALWAYS color my hair!

I also still shop in jr departments/stores and REFUSE to shop in "womens" clothing stores, etc because I REFUSE to wear "age appropriate" clothes (I am 39). Nothing wrong with it for other people...just no way am I doing it!

I wont grow up damn it, cant make me! LOL
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 06:56:31 AM »
At great risk, I thought I would chime in on this....seemingly "Chicks Post" :)

It would appear to me, as a male in my 40's that I would give a shit or less about my appearance and hair status...but I did....and still do.

After graduation I joined the submarine corp, after that I came home, got a job, apartment and set out for a "normal life". One day I sat in my apartment, watching my TV, enjoying the A/c which I paid for. I realized I owned my car and ultimately....I was a grown ass man, chronologically any way.

Then it hit me....If I wanna grow my hair to my ass....I can! And so I did. Took forever to do, becaue I have curly hair, the full length was not revealed untill my hair was wet, big ole bannana curls and all. Once wet it went past the cleft of my buttocks. I kept it that way for years and years....All the way thru one mariage and several relationshits.

Then one day (for my mom....hell she was 83 and wanted to see her handsome son again...her words not mine) I got it cut professionally....Almost broke my neck in the shower...I was soooo used to shaking the water out of my hair. Even tho I made my mom happy, very happy.....some part of me felt like I sold out yet again.

Logical next step.......well, it would take way to long to re-grow my hair....and then I would look like David Crosby or something horrid so I said fuck it and took a razor to it. Now, I sport a full beard, and a perfectly shaven head.

Aside from my own vanity, I am almost shocked daily at how menacing I look, and feel. It is also fun (in some wierd twisted way)to see how folks react to me. I went to see the WHO recently and parked my vehicle on the end of a long line. Several people tried to park next to me. I rolled down the window and simply motioned to them to "Move Along".....and they did!

Ms. Booney....please do me the favor of PM'ing me regarding this "Vape" thing. I go thru alot of botanicals and have heard the "vaporizer" will make them last longer etc....holla back at me if ye will M'Lady.
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 08:51:01 AM »
I keep my hair short so I don't get lice.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hair.
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:55:27 AM »
God... Anne. Your post did resonate because hacking girls' hair off is a common denominator at these places.  Your exact experience --EXACT-- happened ALL the time at my program (CEDU). Especially if the girls were pretty, too.   It was their way of disempowering or desexualizing us.  

It was always instigated by female staff. They took great pleasure in putting your hair in a ponytail and WHACK! And then they'd taunt you with it.  

I saw it imemdiately and I only had shoulder length (but thick, pretty hair), and somehow I knew, 1. don't talk smile or engage boys' attention (hard to do when you're attractive and 16), and 2. blend in as much as possible. Pull hair back and neuter myself.

It fucking pisses me off to think about how they enjoyed this power over girls.  Fuckers.

To Woof: do you realize you wrote relationSHITS? Thanks for my AM laugh!

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 10:04:10 AM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
Hair was a big deal in our time, I don't know about others.  Guys were not allowed to part their hair in the middle, girls had to have it hacked off at at least shoulder length, if not shorter.  And barretts.  Oh my god, the barretts.  Plastered against your head.  Anyway, that's the one, tiny thing that I did outwardly rebell about.  I didn't have a whole lot to feel good about, but I loved my hair.  I was too chicken shit to 'misbehave'.  I was scared shitless.  About 90 lbs soaking wet.  I lasted for about 3 weeks and then they put it in a ponytail and hacked it off.  Waved it in front of me, laughing.  "How pretty are you now bitch?  I can't wait to get you in front of the guys side.  They're tear your ass up."  And they did.

I remember the hair issue but it seemed to be more of an issue for the guys than the girls. I think that was because long hair was "in" back then for guys, which of course was not tolerated in Straight which preferred the bowl cut look parted down the middle. Makeup, or shoud I say lack thereof, was the bigger deal for girls however I do remember those ugly nasty barretts that girls in Striaght wore. This is not to say that hair wasnt a big issue for the girls....maybe I just remember that the haircuts were very drastic for the guys.....I dunno.

Anyway this hair post triggered a seemingly insignificant memory about myself, but I will take any memory I can get. I did NOT wear those heinous barettes. I let my long stringy hair stay loose...looked like hell after motivating all day and no hairbrush but it was better than barrettes.

My bangs were hacked off at some point too....I hate my senoir picture of me with no makeup and crooked bangs. Why the hell did they make us have such ugly hair? Oh that's right, amateurs (straight moms) cut it and anything stylish would have been "being imagy." :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 10:58:05 AM »
Do mustaches count? I had grown and groomed with delicate care, one ever since graduating military school. Hair grew quite quickly on my face and shaving was a hassle. When I met my intakers they told me I'd be losing my mustache. Well, for a guy, this is like knockin off an inch or two you know where, LOL. Anyways, sho'nuff, later that first night, while in complete misery from distended bladder, the razor was utilized on my mustache. Just like that, 3 years of pride, care, etc... down the drain. I have heard several survivors talk about how since their hair was cut, it's never been the same. Mine is about 70% gray now, LOL, I don't mind. I'm not worried about it, but the OP sparked up some memories of that ANGER I felt when my stash came off that first night in the program. I will NEVER cut it off again. It's been singed pretty good a couple times, but that doesn't count, LOL.

RG

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: Hair.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 10:58:49 AM »
Quote from: ""Walk Liek An Egyptian""
God... Anne. Your post did resonate because hacking girls' hair off is a common denominator at these places.  Your exact experience --EXACT-- happened ALL the time at my program (CEDU). Especially if the girls were pretty, too.   It was their way of disempowering or desexualizing us.  

Yep.  Thats' because they all use basically the same 'break 'em down, build 'em up' thinking.  Breaking us down, breaking our will and eventually our spirit.  Its about humiliation with them.

I wondered how many others were effected like this.  Its nice to know I'm not alone.

I do like my hair though.  :D.  Its' not short by any means, just not what I've been used to.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
break
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
The strange thing is that they kept espousing about the break 'em down to build 'em up paradigm, but they never got around to the second part of the equation. It was just break 'em down and keep 'em down.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: break
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 01:34:26 PM »
Quote from: ""Walk Like an Egyptian""
The strange thing is that they kept espousing about the break 'em down to build 'em up paradigm, but they never got around to the second part of the equation. It was just break 'em down and keep 'em down.

Because that keeps them submissive and dependent.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »
...and broken.

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 04:14:20 PM »
Hell.... If I had known what I was in for I would have shaven my head, got a tatoo of a middle finger on the back of my head and the word fuck you tatooed on the inside of my lower lip.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 04:19:31 PM »
Quote from: ""Botched Programming""
Hell.... If I had known what I was in for I would have shaven my head, got a tatoo of a middle finger on the back of my head and the word fuck you tatooed on the inside of my lower lip.

:rofl:  :tup:  :tup: