Author Topic: More zero tolerance bullshit  (Read 9270 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
More zero tolerance bullshit
« on: September 12, 2007, 09:29:31 PM »
http://www.bradenton.com/opinion/story/138775.html

Green hair lesson
School is for learning, not self-expression
Manatee High student Sarah Miller has green hair . BRIAN BLANCO/[email protected]
BRIAN BLANCO/[email protected]
Manatee High student Sarah Miller has green hair . BRIAN BLANCO/[email protected]

Readers of a certain age reading the Bradenton Herald's coverage of a flap at Manatee High over green hair may recall the 1948 movie, "The Boy With Green Hair." In that film, a boy of about 8 or 10 named Peter wakes up one morning to find that his hair has turned green. Picked on by the other kids and shunned by his elders who try unsuccessfully to wash the color out, Peter ultimately has his head shaved, then is hounded out of town into a nearby forest, where he discovers what his green hair means and why he has it.

The movie was a powerful social commentary about war and its victims, especially children orphaned by it, of which Peter was one.

Today green hair has an entirely different meaning - and, like beauty, what that meaning is can be interpreted by the viewer. Senior Sarah Miller says green hair is a form of self-expression, a way to "express my individuality." No rebellious punk hellion, Sarah is taking four advanced-placement and honors classes, plays varsity softball and is considered a good daughter by her parents.

First-year MHS Principal Bob Gagnon considers Sarah's green hair a distraction and told her on the first day of school it was a violation of the school dress code. Sarah and her family are puzzled by the ruling, as in the past she has gone to school with blue hair, red hair with crimson streaks and a spiked yellow Mohawk with leopard spots. No one told her through those three years there was anything wrong with wildly colored hair, she says.

Principal Gagnon says, in effect, that was then; this is now. The school dress code, while not specifically addressing hair color, gives him the discretion to decide whether a student's clothing or appearance "creates a climate that is distracting to learning."

And green hair, he rules, does. "We want (the school environment) to be free from distractions and disruptions," he said. "We want to enforce the rules as they are written. . . . Natural hair color was a rule at Manatee High School."

While we as paid opinionists are all for free expression, especially of political views, we recognize legitimate limits on that constitutional right. Yelling fire in a crowded theater is the most basic example. Committing libel - printing lies about a person - is another. And another is a principal trying to foster a safe, orderly learning environment.

While we may not agree that green hair disrupts achievement of that goal, the principal does. And he is the boss of Manatee High. That should be enough to convince kids not to dye their hair other shades than blond, brunette or red. Fair or unfair, bosses get to make the rules, and all under their supervision can either comply or leave. Sarah and her classmates will discover that soon enough in the workplace, where dress codes and personal appearance standards abound.

Indeed, as more than one former teacher has opined about this issue, high school is a good place to learn about rules, discipline and surrender of individual will to achieve a greater goal than fulfillment of one's self-expression. As a 30-year veteran of the classroom wrote, "In the real world each day at work may not be 'fun.' There are lessons to be taught that may not be 'fun.' There are tests and evaluations that are not 'fun.' "

Many believe that the decline of education began with the free-expression revolution of the 1960s. Anything-goes clothing and hairstyles led to wider challenges of rules. Before long, classroom discipline broke down.

Indeed, strict dress codes such as the one enforced at MHS are a reaction to the permissive environment that prevailed in education for too long. It is an attempt to refocus on the essential purpose of going to school: Education. It is not to socialize with friends, to show off the latest fashions or to win a popularity competition. Learning - preparing for adulthood - is why children are in school, and the sooner they realize that, the better.

As the old movie proved, green hair can be a powerful symbol and can have many meanings. But mastering geometry or biology isn't one of them.

Do you agree that hair dyed unnatural colors should be banned from local high schools? Share your view in the Opinion section of Bradenton.com.

http://www.local6.com/news/14099857/detail.html

70 Students Suspended Protesting Shirt-Tucking Rule

POSTED: 3:38 pm EDT September 12, 2007
UPDATED: 3:55 pm EDT September 12, 2007
[NEWSVINE: 70 Students Suspended Protesting Shirt-Tucking Rule] [DELICIOUS: 70 Students Suspended Protesting Shirt-Tucking Rule] [DIGG: 70 Students Suspended Protesting Shirt-Tucking Rule] [FACEBOOK: 70 Students Suspended Protesting Shirt-Tucking Rule] [REDDIT: 70 Students Suspended Protesting Shirt-Tucking Rule] [RSS] [PRINT: 70 Students Suspended Protesting Shirt-Tucking Rule] [EMAIL: 70 Students Suspended Protesting Shirt-Tucking Rule]
About 70 students at Rogers High School in Tulsa are being suspended after they protested a new requirement that they tuck in their shirts.

Officials said the students are being suspended for five days for breaking a rule that prohibits "encouraging other students to violate school rules or regulations."

Tulsa Public Schools spokeswoman Tami Marler said the protesters were distracting students who were in class and were trying to attract students between classes.

The shirt-tucking rule was instituted by Superintendent Michael Zolkoski after he visited the campus on the first day of school.

"Someone who wore a shirt that was too long, they hid a weapon in it and now everyone one else in the Tulsa public school system has to suffer," a student said. "I don't think that that's right."

Marler said the protesting students spent nearly five hours across the street from the school and the school was locked down at the recommendation of police.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Karass

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 11:00:39 AM »
Unbelievable. Green hair is a distraction to the other students? How about a kid who is incredibly attractive, or unattractive, or really fat or really skinny, or one of the few with his or her ethnic background? FFS, every individual is different, and some are going to stand out in a crowd no matter what kind of rules are imposed on them.

If another student is distracted, leave it up to him to decide that and to find a solution. There were some girls in high school that distracted the hell out of me, but no way would I have ever complained or let it derail my education. Can you imagine? "Hey teacher, I'm having a really hard time" (pun intended) "concentrating in this class because Jill over here is wearing tight jeans and she has an ass to die for." It would've been a lot less distracting if she just had green hair, but that's my problem, not hers and not the school's.

Green hair rules!
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline Mummie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 11:34:06 AM »
This sounds similiar to the Halloween story last year where two elementary aged school girls were sent home for coloring their hair for halloween.  Needless to say, the parents were pissed off, and it received quite a bit of media coverage.
quot;You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.\"  -Eric Hoffer- (1902-83)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 02:22:22 PM »
Yeah, I know.  I throw 'em up here when I see them.  It happens all the damn time and it IS a part of the TTI picture.  Parents are so fucking FREAKED OUT about shit they shouldn't be and programs just play on all of it.

Pisses me off.
 :flame:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Sandy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:25:56 AM »
One of my daughters was kicked out/removed by me from two different private schools a few years back.  All because she had dyed her hair BLACK, etc.  

When I was called up to the first school, I purposedly wore total black to the meeting. The second school told me that I didn't have to take off work to pick her up.... now WHY if my kid was sooooo bad they wanted her gone from their school, why could she stay the entire day?

Doesn't matter what the situation is, if you are a little bit different, the mainstream of life wants you to not exist. What happened to individualism???

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Rules
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 06:40:24 AM »
Some rules are ridiculous. Personally I think it shouldnt matter about the color of ones hair or the length of it or lack of it. I went to a private school for high school and hair was addressed in our dress code, BUT, it was a private school. We had a choice to go there or not. I think in public schools they shouldnt have any kinds of rules like that. I also know its teen nature to go against whatever rule there is. So the more rules you make, the more they will break them. We used to purposely roll up our uniform skirts so they would be shorter than required, wear unapproved colors of socks, unapproved styles of shoes, and wrong color sweaters. My male friends would purposely loosen their ties, wear their hair longer than required, wear earrings, and facial hair all on purpose just to buck the establishment. They didnt enforce our dress code too strictly because there were more of us than them and all of us were doing it. Once we got in college, however, none of us did anything like that because, guess what? there were no dress code rules. We did it for the sole purpose of not conforming. I wouldnt personally have green hair, but if she wanted to, she should have been allowed to have it.

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 07:04:56 AM »
Most private schools here ban "non natural" colours. The argument is that students know of this when they enrol and can choose to go somehwere with more liberal rules if they so desire. it means a lot of Private school kids do all of this sort of thing during the summer holidays or get bellybutton rings bercause they are not visible.

It surprises me that a public school can get away with this as the whole point of public school is that it is there to educate the huddled masses and thus cant discriminate on things like hair colour. I wonder what would happen if all the kids turned up with green hair?
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 08:08:03 AM »
Get this....
Twenty one year old college student went to a party after work. Had a few drinks. Instead of driving, he did the responsible thing..... and walked the four blocks home.

His reward?

Cop stopped him. Told him he had 10 minutes to find a ride, which didn't happen at 3am, and took him to jail for PI.   :rofl:
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 01:14:10 PM »
Schools force you to go to  multi cultural social experiments, they bus in to make schools 1/3 white 1/3 latino and 1/3 black even though the families choose to segregate themselves in neighborhoods they force the kids together. Of course this creates conflicts and so you need a weapon for protection but if caught you are expelled. If they made schools safe in the first place and didn't force you to go you wouldn't need a weapon. The school officials are very thick if they can't realize this. They are the ones making schools violent with their policies. Kids are just reacting and protecting themselves like normal humans tend to do when in danger.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 01:57:36 PM »
Alright, here's a case of the school district taking the law into their own hands, yet again...you'd think they thought they were the DMV or IRS.

Wednesday, my daughter calls me from her cell phone, she's hiding in the bathroom to make the call or her cell will be taken away, and she informs me that the VP of the school was standing in front of the liquor store and donut shop blocking students from getting in at 10 to 8a.m..  The police were also there, and informed Ms. VP that this was not legal.  Needless to say, she ignored the officer, and would not let my daughter into the donut store to get her morning donut.  

I phoned the school where I was informed that this was new policy.  That the kids had to be off this "public" piece of property prior to 10 minutes to 8, and start walking to the school, which, by the way, is about 1000 yards away.  It doesn't take 10 freakin' minutes to walk 1000 yards.  If she chose to violate this new rule, she would be suspended.  Can you believe this shit?

Arguing with this school isn't worth it, because in the end, their always right.  What a bunch of horseshit!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 01:59:33 PM »
Oh yah, this is the same district that last year tried to tell parents the school had legal authority over their kids one hour before and after school.  Yah...that met with lots of approval, not!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 01:59:55 PM »
Pull your kid out of that school now- seriously, it's NOT SAFE for her academic career- and start talking to lawyers.

I can't believe the cops didn't arrest the VP.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 02:07:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Alright, here's a case of the school district taking the law into their own hands, yet again...you'd think they thought they were the DMV or IRS.

Wednesday, my daughter calls me from her cell phone, she's hiding in the bathroom to make the call or her cell will be taken away, and she informs me that the VP of the school was standing in front of the liquor store and donut shop blocking students from getting in at 10 to 8a.m..  The police were also there, and informed Ms. VP that this was not legal.  Needless to say, she ignored the officer, and would not let my daughter into the donut store to get her morning donut.  

I phoned the school where I was informed that this was new policy.  That the kids had to be off this "public" piece of property prior to 10 minutes to 8, and start walking to the school, which, by the way, is about 1000 yards away.  It doesn't take 10 freakin' minutes to walk 1000 yards.  If she chose to violate this new rule, she would be suspended.  Can you believe this shit?

Arguing with this school isn't worth it, because in the end, their always right.  What a bunch of horseshit!

Ya know what's ironic... WE pay their salaries.... to oppress our kids. They've forgotten who butters their bread. Parents have allowed this to happen. Most are afraid to buck the system. So... the status quo will continue.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 02:43:27 PM »
Have you contacted your local papers? This is newsworthy.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2007, 03:41:10 PM »
Seriously newsworthy.

The school has no legal responsibility or authority over your child when he/she is off school property outside of normal school hours. If this school official thinks otherwise, I'd be curious what law she thinks gives her that authority and how far, geographically speaking, she thinks that authority extends. Does she think she could stand at the end of your driveway before school and tell your child when it's time to get going or you'lll be late for school?!!!