Author Topic: Struggling Teens' new board - All Posts  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Struggling Teens' new board - All Posts
« on: September 06, 2007, 10:05:33 AM »
It's pretty dead over there, but I want to give Lon a friendly reminder that NOBODY hides from Anonymous.

Prepare for disturbing material, do not eat before you read, etc etc. No, seriously, this is some fucking sick shit.

I think that many of these posts are bullshit, the online equivalent of a panhandler's bait change. Could be just wishful thinking.

Debbie MacLaughlin
Getting Oriented

Reg: 08-19-07
08-20-07 10:07 PM - Post#2254

I'm sticking my neck out here and introducing ourselves. We are parents of a now 21 year old daughter who at 15 "arrived" in the panhandle of Idaho (from home in the Midwest) to attend the Ascent wilderness program and Boulder Creek Academy from which she graduated high school. It has been necessary to continue her care and support in that geographic area as she struggles mightily with bi-polar and borderline personality disorder. As 6 1/2 year veterans of programs/schools/therapeu tic & behavioral approaches/parent education/Bowen theory family systems work etc..., we're showing up here to support, share what we have learned, as well as our continuing education and involvement with mental health, Ours is a perspective of parents who have had to let go of a lot of dreams and expectations. Fellow parents have been an important piece of our reconfigured life and a huge comfort on the roller coaster. Struggling Teens is a strong site with invaluable information. So if anyone else is "out there," we're here too!
Debbie

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

goldenguru
Getting Oriented

Reg: 08-18-07
08-21-07 05:38 AM - Post#2256
In response to Debbie MacLaughlin

M/M MacLaughlin~

Well thanks for 'breaking the ice' so to speak.

While I will choose to maintain a bit more anonymity - our story goes something like this:

Our daughter began struggling with all manner of self destruction. After exhausting every community resource available to us we finally made the gut wrenching decision to place her out of our home in a residential treatment facility. The experience was not pretty. She was there sixteen months.

When she returned home (as a senior in high school) she basically picked up where she left off. She ran away from home twice ... was using ... and ended up in a psychiatric hospital.

With the luxury of hindsight, I'm quite sure I would not place her in a program again. Hubby and I are very polarized on this issue. He believes it saved her life and would do it again in a heartbeat. I'm not convinced that it helped her. Guess we will never know.

Today she is married ... off all meds ... works and is a very responsible person. She is 'her old self'. We are thankful for where she is today.

I'm sorry that your daughter is still not where you would like her to be. It is so hard to watch someone you love struggle for survival.

I too would love to offer our experience as hope for other families. We don't pretend to be experts .... but they do say that experience is the best teacher. Sadly for us ... we have learned some hard lessons.

I for one am glad to see this site back up and running. Hopefully parents find their way here.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

mose
Getting Oriented

Reg: 08-21-07
08-21-07 10:35 AM - Post#2262
In response to goldenguru

Just wanted to say hi to everyone.
I don't have time right now to update, I too am so glad to have you all back in my life my dear internet freinds.

Love
Mose

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

Keisha
Getting Oriented

08-21-07 08:25 PM - Post#2271
In response to mose

We had a daughter who went to two programs--Explorations and Mission Mountain. This was about a dozen years ago. While we had struggles afterward, we have found through the years that the programs gave her the tools to pull herself back up and build on the foundation we had built when she was little. I would do it all again, and if you asked her, she would too.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

KimzMom
Getting Oriented

Loc: Central NY
Reg: 08-27-07
08-28-07 12:22 PM - Post#2352
In response to Keisha

I am so gratefull this site is back online and old friends rejoining, and new ones will follow!

Although my struggles are less and less (thank god!) I still find it helpfull to get grounded by the honest feedback and support provided by everyone here!

I also enjoy lending support to parents who think they are so alone when in fact you are SO NOT alone in your struggles to raise your kids to the best of your means!

Welcome back!

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

PrimeTimeMom
Getting Oriented

Reg: 08-23-07
08-29-07 02:52 PM - Post#2369
In response to KimzMom

My now 19 almost 20yo D graduated HS at Excel Academy in June 2006. She has been home since then and after a very rocky time last summer, is now at a nursing school and her goal is to be on the Dean's list. It helps that she no longer lives at home. We have a wonderful relationship now and I credit it to the tools she (and we)learned at SUWS wilderness program and Excel.

Three years ago I was an anxious wreck and found this site and all the supportive parents here. Through private emails I received so much help from other parents in the same situation and I'm still in close email contact with two of them.

In our case, outpatient programs did not work and I feel the 18 mos of inhouse programs saved my D's life and gave us back our happy, healthy girl. She still has a lot of drama in her life but it's all normal drama now.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

tennisnut
Getting Oriented

Reg: 08-20-07
08-29-07 03:03 PM - Post#2370
In response to PrimeTimeMom

Hi,
I have a 17yr old son who is currently at a therapeutic school in Arizona. He compleetd wilderness with Catherine Freer, he did both the trek and the extended expeditions. He has chemical dependency issues along with depression. He has been away from home for 5 months now and I miss him so much. I know he is beter off there than he would be here at home. He sounds great on the phone and he is is really focused on both school and his treatment work.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

Liz V
Getting Oriented

Reg: 08-24-07
08-29-07 03:32 PM - Post#2371
In response to tennisnut

Hi,
I have a 17 year old son who completed an Aspen program a year ago for depression/LD/ADHD. He was helped tremendously, but then chose to go to a transitional school and completely nose dived emotionally and academically. He's been home since January and is doing well at our local public high school. Of course, "well" is a relative term.

It was an odd summer, and I missed this site and the advice of those who've traveled this road. My son is dabbling with drugs for the first time and I know I'll be back with lots of questions.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

Mimmy
Getting Oriented

Loc: Seattle
Reg: 08-20-07
08-29-07 05:05 PM - Post#2373
In response to Liz V

Hi all,

I also missed struggling teens. My D. went to second nature at barely age 15 in nov 05, then to island view RTC for 8 months, then to a boarding school (NAWA for ADD kids, though she isn't really ADD), didn't do that great there so is now in a second RTC (The high Frontier). She seems to be doing well there, now is almost 17 and a senior. We are struggling with when she will leave (she and they are thinking maybe Dec) and whether she can make it at home, what kind of school, whether to go to a boarding school partway through her senior year or whether to encourage her to stay at THF to graduate. She seems quite committed to being off drugs and even attended an AA meeting during her recent visit home. She REALLY wants to come home (don't most of them) and can't stand the thought of 6 extra months at an RTC to graduate but there are so few options for schooling at home that seem reasonable. I really want her to come home, but more then that want whats best for her.... I know the ed consultant will only give recs for boarding schools, so feel somewhat on my own for looking into options at home.

Despite that I'm sure sleeping better then 2 years ago!

Rochelle (my post name from struggling teens).

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

birdfeeder
Getting Oriented

09-02-07 05:41 PM - Post#2398
In response to Mimmy

I echo the sentiments to those relieved to find this forum back and hope that we can retain it as a way for parents to just help and console one another. Our daughter has been away from home for 18 mos. now...started with SUWS, went to a therapeutic boarding school where things got worse, then did a stint at 2nd Nature and is now at Excel, which is undergoing tremendous change as the founder/director has serious medical issues and Aspen has sent in new staff...the changes are proving challenging for our daughter who will be 16 in 2 months. We are currently in a "relapse mode" so I am relieved that this forum is available to us as we work our way through the latest crisis.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

Dadrod
Getting Oriented

Reg: 08-25-07
09-04-07 04:30 PM - Post#2413
In response to birdfeeder

I’m glad the forum is back, and want to help it return to being the leading place for current help and exchange of ideas dealing with “troubledâ€
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 10:06:27 AM »
(different topic)

Lon
Getting Oriented
Lon
Loc: Bonners Ferry, Idaho
Reg: 07-21-07
08-28-07 12:34 PM - Post#2353

How about some sharing some of our outstanding memorable moments from having a child in a wilderness or TBS?

The one that stands out to me the most was when my wife and I attended a Super Bowl party one year. Just as the first quarter was well under way, we got a call from our daughter she was in a crisis and was going to walk away from the school. Needless to say, with phone calls and being on pins and needles, we saw very little of the game. Fortunately, her mother was very firm, and the staff convinced her they really did care about her, so she stayed to graduate and create a successful life after school. I think this was the real deciding point between the placement succeeding or failing. If we had given in and allowed her to come home, we would have sooner or later gone back to the intolerable behaviors that caused us to place her in the first place.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

Keisha
Getting Oriented

08-28-07 10:02 PM - Post#2359
In response to Lon

Our daughter graduated on a beautiful June day with a backdrop of the Mission Mountains. It was the most beautiful graduation I had ever seen and focused on each of the graduates. It inspired our daughter so much that she wrote a song for her dad which she sang for him the day after graduation (which happened to be Father's Day)at Lake McDonald in Glacier Park. This from a girl who was barely speaking to either of us when we took her to the program.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

goldenguru
Getting Oriented

09-01-07 02:30 PM - Post#2390
In response to Keisha

I'll be honest. Most moments associated with our daughters placement I would rather not remember.

It was so incredibly difficult for her. For our entire family.

I hated the whole experience.

The therapeutic weekends were emotionally exhausting. Weekly phone calls were the basis for my entire week. If she was good ... I was good. If she was distraught ... I had a horrible week.

I do realize now that I was totally enmeshed in her life. I had to learn some detachment skills.

My husband and I are very polarized on this issue. He credits her placement with 'saving her life' and contributing to who she is today. I'm not convinced.

No. Some things are better left unvisited.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

birdfeeder
Getting Oriented

09-02-07 05:48 PM - Post#2399

Thank you for that: "I needed to learn some detachment skills." I think that's exactly where I am and I appreciate your forming the words for me. While I certainly don't know the details of your circumstances and I can sympathize with the polarized parent positions (gratefully, that's one of the few problems I don't have), I can say that it is our belief that if our daughter had remained at home, she would have destroyed our family and probably our marriage. The only reason she and her brother have a civil and tentatively affectionate relationship is because she hasn't been at home.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

goldenguru
Getting Oriented

09-03-07 07:30 AM - Post#2400

Hi Birdfeeder~

Don't get me wrong ... I haven't mastered the detachment thing. I am a work in progress. But, recognizing that we are too controlled by our children is the first step.

My children are out of the house now. One lives about 9 hours away and is a senior in college. My daughter married this summer and lives about 20 miles away. Having them out of the house has made detaching easier and more difficult at the same time.

Because they aren't 'under my roof' I tend to worry less because I don't see everything. Because they aren't 'under my roof' I tend to worry more because I have not control. *gasp* LOL

Check out this great web site that I frequent. I have it on speed dial on my bookmarks. LOL.

Here's the link:
http://www.coping.org/control/detach.htm

It's really very helpful.

So, what is your daughter doing currently? Is she still in a program?

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

birdfeeder
Getting Oriented

09-03-07 03:25 PM - Post#2401

Thank you so much for that excellent site; I'm in the process of printing 10 pages right now...will read every word and have already passed it along to one of my support groups. Sticking with boundaries is a really, really hard thing for loving moms!!! Yes, my daughter is still "in a program"...a "life skills" boarding school (she was manipulating therapists)modeled on the 12 step concept. She will be 16 in six weeks. She's been doing very well for the last six months but is currently in a bit of a "relapse" so your detachment concepts are very helpful to me right now. Our son will be a senior in high school and is at home and doing fine; just the sort of "regular" annoying that all teens can be.Back to our daughter, we visit monthly, talk weekly, had our first off campus overnight, took her brother to see her three times this summer and had HOPED that she'd be home for Thanksgiving but she may be in the process of sabotaging that. We'll just have to take one step at a time. And, not to be maudlin, but running errands today, I stopped by the cemetery to visit the grave of the son of a dear friend who was killed in an auto accident 18 months ago after a very difficult year...sometimes it gives me some weird strength to reflect on doing what we must do just to keep our daughter alive to grow out of whatever stage she's in.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

Dadrod
Getting Oriented

Reg: 08-25-07
09-04-07 04:37 PM - Post#2414

There are several things I'll remember, but the most striking was our son's last night in wilderness. He prepared our campsite. He prepared our meals. HE took care of US! And, the environment was spectacular in a way that only nature can be, far removed from our everyday world.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

Lon
Getting Oriented
Lon
09-04-07 10:15 PM - Post#2423
In response to Dadrod

Hi Dadrod:

Welcome back. And your statement was almost poetic. Or at least good prose.

Lon

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

Keisha
Getting Oriented

09-05-07 12:39 PM - Post#2429
In response to Lon

Our daughter wanted to show us some of the skills she had learned in the wilderness and started to show us how the bow drill worked. Just as the smoke started rising, I noticed that she was directly under the smoke alarm and she got it outside just in time to avoid setting off the alarm. She learned a new lesson--don't use the bow drill inside!!

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

Liz V
Getting Oriented

Reg: 08-24-07
09-05-07 08:12 PM - Post#2445
In response to Keisha

I remember our first on-campus visit with our son at his RTC. This formerly sullen, silent, city kid took us for a long walk through the hills and desert scrub, stopping to point out plants, bugs and tracks (things he never would have noticed before, let alone talked to us about).
I also remember how he hugged his little brother on a later visit, then turned and whispered to me "He's so small!". Up to that point my older son had always treated his younger brother as a peer, threat, or competitor. Something changed for him while living in a dorm of much older boys. In that moment he became a real big brother. That part has carried over still, and its really good.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:07:30 AM »
Community Admin.
Administrator
Community Admin.
Loc: Southwest US
Reg: 01-27-06
08-31-07 05:09 PM - Post#2383

Current Members
There are roughly 40 members currently registered and active on the Community. The majority of these members are former members of the "old system". You were extended an invitation to be one of the first on this Board because of your track record which was in sync with the purpose and direction of what this Community is intended for. It's not that we aren't going to begin letting "newbies" on. That will happen shortly. But the idea is to start off the Board with a tiered introduction, if you will.

Potential Members
There are roughly 55 registrations currently pending in the registration cue. Some are waiting because they have not had a chance, or taken time to complete the questionnaire, as you did. Some people filled out just one or two questions to test if that would work. Some are apparently hoping this is just an automated system, instead of one that’s actually operated via a human connection. These people, for the most part, are really not interested in creating the same type of environment as you have shown an interest in. In fact, quite the opposite. Frankly, we’re not interested in having these people involved. They register under inappropriate names or try to register using very “colorful email addressesâ€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »
Username Post: Kid Nation (Topic#838)
Lon
Getting Oriented
Lon
08-22-07 03:38 PM - Post#2289

Has anybody any thoughts on the upcoming reality show Kid Nation? I understand it has already been filmed and will start airing in September.

Does this seem to be exploring what kids are capable of when given more responsibility, or is it an example of danger and anarchy when kids create their own rules?

Will it imply that parental set boundaries are not necessary and are even obstacles to kids developing their full potential? Maybe even saying that parents and families are irrelevant?

By awarding gold stars made up of three pounds of gold, is it confirming that everything important is coming down to money?

Lon

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

goldenguru
Getting Oriented

08-23-07 12:16 PM - Post#2299
In response to Lon

Hmmmm .... I will have to save judgment until I see it.

However my initial responses to the advertisements were negative. I presuppose that the kids will eventually 'overcome' all difficulties and obstacles without the support of family as you suggest. That is quite a message ... especially in our 'kid centered' culture.

What does bother me is the length that parents will go to to get their kids in the 'spotlight'.

The premise of the show vaguely reminds me of "Lord Of the Flies" ... a book I haven't read since middle school. Might be worth dusting off the cover to see if there are any universal messages.

Interesting question Lon.

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

Lon
Getting Oriented
Lon
08-23-07 12:56 PM - Post#2301

Well, I'm going to make every effort to watch it and see how they play it out.

One thing that intrigues me is they claim it was done with no adult oversight, but what were the cameramen, producers etc. saying or telling the kids? Just their presence would have had an impact I would think.

Lon

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

KimzMom
Getting Oriented

Loc: Central NY
Reg: 08-27-07
08-28-07 12:18 PM - Post#2351
In response to Lon

I am certain they interviewed and screened the kids very well before hand. They should make a reality show out of a TBS.. Now THAT would be interesting and real life!

* Print
* Email
* Quick Reply

goldenguru
Getting Oriented

09-01-07 02:35 PM - Post#2391
In response to KimzMom

It would make 'interesting' TV, but it would interfere with the therapeutic process!!

What parent/therapist/program director could endorse sharing a child's emotional struggles for the viewing pleasure of a TV audience?

There used to be a show on called "Intervention". Cameras followed family members around as they confronted a substance abusing person. Who would choose to air their private struggles in such a manner.

I question the ethics of professionals who engage in this type of 'entertainment'.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 10:09:05 AM »
:rofl:

nice!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 10:10:26 AM »
And that's all a semi-new account could see.

My guess is that most of their conversation is being held in private. Paranoid bunch, aren't they? :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 10:52:14 AM »
Actually, cancel that. What struck me as odd was the numbers on the posts. But then it struck me that the same host (corebb) hosts a number of similarly sick forums such as for WWASPS programs.

Struggling Trolls is a fucking ghost town.

More /i/nfiltration of the other forums is needed.

(Dare I daydream that Randall Cook will one day snap out of it and open everything up to the public for maximum lulz and ownaj?)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 10:53:55 AM »
Randall Cook? Is that the same Randy Cook who graduated from WWASP and then went on to work for them?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 11:01:41 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Randall Cook? Is that the same Randy Cook who graduated from WWASP and then went on to work for them?

Strikes me as exceedingly likely.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »
Randy Cook used to be a moderator on WWASP's parents' BBS. Wouldn't surprise me if he moved on to Lon's board.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 09:51:59 PM »
IF YOU THINK I AM GOING TO TOUCH THIS PILE OF MALE BOVINE SHIT WITH A 3.048 METER POLE, YOU ARE SORELY MISTAKEN MY FLESHY FRIEND.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 01:09:40 AM »
thank you strugglingteens, for my 20min session cowering over the toilet bowl after reading your sick garbage.

maybe people should think twice about having kids before they get pregnant, and think about how to prevent themselves from having a daily headache once their hit puberty... before they hit puberty.

these parents sound like consumers talking about a product. sick fucks.

if i was president i'd make a law to sterilize anyone who has ever put a child into a program.  once they turn 70, or if they are too old to sterilize, i shall construct "senior citizens" behavior mod/treatment centers. all members of the republican party and mormons shall also be included under this plan.  

"grandpa's been actin up again, let's send him away, maybe he'll finnaly stop complainin about that catheter"

i wonder how these parents are going to feel when their program kids stick them in abusive retirement homes.

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 06:12:56 AM »
Oh - the 1st post  :(  that poor girl, as if its not terrible enough being bi polar and the struggles she has to face with her own mind on a daily basis without getting sent away from her family for it  :cry: it's not like wildernes can cure it

That's really upset me, I can't magine ever sending my little boy away from me just because he has depression, adhd, asd, cognitive bahvioural disorder among other problems, he needs me more than anything right now  :(

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 05:33:51 PM »
exhausted~

honeslty ... your such a freakin drama queen!!  u always manage to turn these posts around to you and your out of control kids.  u list your son with a
can of alphabet soup behind his name.  good lord woman.  he needs u?  ... he needs u to stop blabbing his issues over the web.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2007, 06:20:54 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
exhausted~

honeslty ... your such a freakin drama queen!!  u always manage to turn these posts around to you and your out of control kids.  u list your son with a
can of alphabet soup behind his name.  good lord woman.  he needs u?  ... he needs u to stop blabbing his issues over the web.

Who really cares?  It takes all kinds to make an interesting board... ::madclown::
-------------- • -------------- • --------------