Author Topic: curious  (Read 6096 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« on: June 03, 2003, 04:09:00 AM »
So... I don't understand... and please don't come at me like the enemy here, I'm just here out of interest's sake, I guess. I've been graduated for a few years now but I'm still fairly involved with AARC. I am also happy with the direction my life has taken as the result of a significant turning point in my life which happens to coincide with my treatment at AARC. I don't agree with everything that happens there, nor do I disagree with everything that happens there. These things are besides the point.They are just to let you know my stance on the entire situation. I just want to know, from those of you involved with AARC who feel your rights and your soundness of mind have been violated, where do you stand with your addictions? Are you active members of AA? Do you feel that that part of your life was just a phase or could be conquered through some other means (like therapy, or will power)? Do you feel that your alleged addictions were just another thing suggested to you while you were in a very vulnerable state? If I sound sarcastic I don't mean to, I'm asking these things in all sincerity. I feel for myself very concretely that I was struggling with alcohol and drug abuse, and that my life was suffering serious repercussions as a result. I knew that before I set foot in any sort of treatment facility. But it occurs to me that if I felt there was no reason for me to be there initially, I might be  a little ticked that I gave up such a significant amount of time and power to an institution.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 08:03:00 AM »
How old wereyou going in?
How much were you drinking and how often? What drugs were you using and how often?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
curious
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 01:06:00 PM »
But it occurs to me that if I felt there was no reason for me to be there initially, I might be a little ticked that I gave up such a significant amount of time and power to an institution.

While you were there, did you have a pretty good idea that some (maybe a lot) of the kids were not drug addicted to begin with? I'm curious because I know that AARC and some AA groups are pretty rigid on the point that any inapropriate use, as determined by whom or by what means I'm not sure, is indisputable proof of morbid addiction.

Personally, I don't but that. I think kids do all kinds of dangerous and stupid things while they're exploring their options and deciding who they'll be. If I had a choice between my daughter smoking a joint and her taking up cigarettes, for example, I would not hesitate a moment to prefer the joint. Either way, it wouldn't be the end of the world. To most Program people, though, that makes me a horrible mother.

To the extent that a society limits its government to policing functions which curb the individuals who engage in aggressive and criminal actions, and conducts its economic affairs on the basis of free and willing exchange, to that extent domestic peace prevails. When a society departs from this norm, its governing class begins, in effect, to make war upon the rest of the nation. A situation is created in which everyone is victimized by everyone else under the fiction of each living at the expense of all.

--Edmund A. Opitz

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 04:02:00 AM »
No one wants to answer my questions?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 03:38:00 PM »
On 2003-06-03 05:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"How old were you going in?

How much were you drinking and how often? What drugs were you using and how often?"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 08:24:00 PM »
From someone with absolutely no use for the 'methods' used in these places, I was 18, I had no real 'addiction' to speak of except for being considered depressed, suicidal, and bulimic, NONE of which I was.  In some circles for an 18 year old to be a tad on the morose side is fairly normal, and I like to eat, always have, and after I finally made it out, the vomiting turned out to be an ulcer, not, as most everyone else thought, self inflicted.

Yes, I occasionally drank a beer when out with friends, and I'm aware that's illegal, but some people do have the capacity to drink socially, know personal limits, and stay within them.  I drink socially still, but I don't get drunk, and I don't like drunks.  I occasionally also partake in other "adult" activities, however again, I'm aware of my limits and stay within them.

No, I'm not currently in AA.  At 27, I'm a college graduate, I have a home and a family, I'm fortunate enough to have a good support system now, and although I have faith in higher powers, I don't particularly ascribe to any single organized religion.  I consider myself happy and successful, despite the mind fucking I got in years past.  I was there 18 months, and it's taken the love of my husband and seeing my son's eyes to help me get over the past, and resolve to not ever put my child through the hell I was placed in.. no matter what good intentions I might have.

Is that a thorough enough answer?  Hope so.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 03:41:00 AM »
Yeah, thats what I wanted to know.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 05:09:00 PM »
I was placed into AARC against my will in August 2002 at the age of 15. I didn't drink except for the occasional glass of wine with my family. In my entire life I have used marajuana less than ten times and acid 3 times. I ran from AARC after five months on step one. I immediately moved to Ontario to live with my father. I still have absolutely no desire to use drugs. My 95% average still won't cleanse my mother's mind of the AARC propaganda.

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 10:47:00 PM »
I keep putting out questions on this site to those who have direct experience of AARC to contact me directly as I have a lot of questions about the place.  Nobody pro-AARC has ever responded to my requests to talk, but I've had some private discussions with those opposed (and building -- but slowly)
So.. for you especially, I have a great idea.  It seems your dad is supportive of you, but not your mum.
I'd like to talk to your dad and fill him in with regard to the situation here in Alberta.  
Since I'm a divorce lawyer, I'm also curious to know how you escaped the clutches of Alberta.
If you register on this site you (or your dad) can e-mail me a private message and we can get a dialogue going here, that might be of benefit to you and help me in my research into AARC.
 ::read::
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2003, 01:15:00 AM »
Hi anonymous, welcome to the board. I hope that your father is being supportive of you and I hope that your mom comes around. You're very lucky to  have gotten out so soon (although if you are anything like me it was the longest five months of your life). Your story is important.

Enjoy Ontario.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2003, 01:17:00 AM »
You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but because curiosity got that cat I'm interested in knowing how you ran and were able to stay safe?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2003, 04:53:00 AM »
Hi lawyer, it's 'curious' again. I'm pro-AARC, although I'm not quick to dismiss what I consider to be unfortunate, valid and inevitable emotional fallout of what can be an effective treatment process. I'll talk to you, if you want.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2003, 04:57:00 AM »
On 2003-06-11 19:47:00, Hamiltonf wrote:

"I keep putting out questions on this site to those who have direct experience of AARC to contact me directly as I have a lot of questions about the place. , but I've had some private discussions with those opposed (and building -- but slowly)

So.. for you especially, I have a great idea.  It seems your dad is supportive of you, but not your mum.

I'd like to talk to your dad and fill him in with regard to the situation here in Alberta.  

Since I'm a divorce lawyer, I'm also curious to know how you escaped the clutches of Alberta.

If you register on this site you (or your dad) can e-mail me a private message and we can get a dialogue going here, that might be of benefit to you and help me in my research into AARC.

::read:: "

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2003, 07:45:00 AM »
The tragedy of AA is that a person limits his social life to only people involved in AA. Therapy will help addictions! It is hard work but can be done. You can find out that you are not bologically bound or an imperfect person.  That there were reasons why you did drugs. There is no gene that made you addictive.

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
curious
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2003, 12:20:00 PM »
OK:
To talk to me privately, you will need to go to the left hand side of this page and click on "register" you can then sign up with a Nom de plume if you wish, and then you can send, and receive private messages (click on "private messages" scroll through the list provided till you come to "Hamiltonf" and send me you private meassage.  When you do that I will receive a notification when I log on that there is a message waiting for me, and we can start communicating.  Sometimes you may have to wait a day or two, but right now I'll check for messages daily.
I look forward to talking to you.
  :smile:
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge