Author Topic: 'Oo own da centre? Owns! Owns!  (Read 2286 times)

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
'Oo own da centre? Owns! Owns!
« on: September 02, 2007, 07:49:21 PM »
Since first looking into All About Receiving Cash, I have been mesmerized by the ravenous appetite for money that is the raison d'etre for AARC. The AARC website has a bizarre section, "media", that essentially takes the society page coverage of AARC's fund-raisers and reposts them.  One of the folks who appears is Peter Boyd, the fella behind ARCIS.  What is ARCIS?  It's a seismic company that occupied the building recently infested during AARC's expansion.  Mr. Boyd is also apparently an AARC parent.  What is Mr. Boyd's relationship to the Wizard?  Did Boyd own the ARCIS building, and if so did he sell it to the Wizard?  How much did AARC pay for the building?  AARC has taken in over nine million dolllars for it's expansion campaign, to move into an old seismic shop and offices.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. Although since the orignal neighboring building was donated way back in the Right Said Fred Days, where has all of the client fees gone, since AARC has never had to pay rent nor a debenture?  
By the by, much hilarity ensued upon my discovery that in his demented vanity, the Wizard still has an old Report Magazine article posted on his site, one that contains a completely false description of him as the psychologist in charge.  Psychologist indeed!  Sadly, no references to the Wizard's ability to time travel were found.  I understand that he may also have cured polio.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:07:07 AM »
Ahahahaha.... that's wonderful. Thanks ajax! Your sleuthing has paid off.
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:21:04 AM »
Ooooo..... I like this one: http://aarc.ab.ca/images/media/2003/teenaddictstale.pdf

where they refer to AARC as a high school....
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:35:30 AM »
Fucking lovely!  :roll:   Trot the little druggie kids out in front of parents and media in an open meeting and have them 'recall their horribly abusive past, talk about all the good friends and strength I've gained since being here, how grateful I am that my parents care sooooo much about me that they'd 'sacrifice' whatever they have to to get the poor druggie the help I need and what  bright future I have thanks to Straight, errr, AARC."

GodDAMN but I hated that shit.  How again is this supposed to be different from Straight???

:flame:  ::puke::
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 07:04:41 AM »
I've transcribed it for posterity.  These links have a way of disappearing after a period of time.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 2, 2003 TORONTO STAR
A&E
Teen addict's tale has shame, grief, pain
Television
Camera follows family's struggles with roots of crisis
Documentary's positive ending is never assured
Jim Bawden TELEVISION COLUMNIST

Everybody seated in the school auditorium seems to be in some kind of pain.  They are all teenagers, but hardly average.  Tears flow as they recount horrific stories of abuse.

Some are recovering drug addicts, others are battling alcoholism and none as of yet have seen their 20s.

And this is not your average high school, but Calgary's Alberta Adolescent Recovery Centre.  It's the setting for director David Tucker's new documentary Recovering Krystal, a harrowing look at the often insurmountable problem teen addicts face.  It's on CBC's The Nature of Things tonight at 8.

The "star" of this hour is pretty teenager Krystal Meade, whose life began spinning out of control in Grade 9 when her parents suddenly divorced.  She blamed herself for the breakup and began sinking into a cycle of drinking and depression.  Her mom, who blamed herself, was easily intimidated by Krystal's rages, and her father, who had always been withdrawn, slipped out of her life.

Krystal still had some distance to slide.  She began doing drugs and eventually developed a dependency on cocaine that fuelled a sordid relationship with a local drug dealer who regularly abused her.  By this time, Krystal would do practically anything to satisfy her drug craving.  

Her mother was beside herself with worry, especially when Krystal moved out of the house and chose to live with a boyfriend a decade older.

Tucker, vice dean at Sheridan College, usually does a documentary each season for The Nature of Things.  Last year, he explored the experiences of a young woman who discovered she possessed the family gene for early-onset Alzheimer's; the film was called Amanda's Choice and followed her through her medical visits.  At the end, she decided not to have her baby boy tested for the gene -- she wanted him to make up his own mind when he was grown.

Before that, Tucker profiled a woman in her 50s with Parkinson's disease who was taking radical replacement shots to stop the tremors (she still has the disease, years later).

Tucker's method is to be as unobtrusive as possible.  He reports, "We filmed Krystal over a year in various groups, and also her parents.  It was important to record the progression.  Kids who didn't want to be on camera were placed behind the camera or around the edges."

When we first meet Krystal, she has bottomed out.  Slovenly and obese, she feels nothing but self-pity, plus anger at her uncomprehending parents.  At the Calgary recovery centre, the philosophy is to treat both teens and their parents.  Otherwise, long-simmering problems will simply reappear.

And so we follow Betty Meade as the story unfolds of how she gradually lost Krystal, who became skilled at emotionally manipulating her mother and even physically threatening her.

Krystal's father, it turns out, has had his own long-running battles with alcoholism.  He is emotionally detached and unable to communicate with his troubled teen.

Based on 12 steps similar to those followed in Alcoholics Anonymous, the recovery centre's plan involves individual and group counseling for each teen and family members.  What tumbles out is a litany of shame, guilt, grief and pain -- from both sides.  Under the sensitive direction of team leader Dr. Dean Vause, both generations come to recognize the problems they have been causing.

During sesions, Vause is unrelenting in prodding both sides to open up completely.  And yet at no time do we feel that any of these real people are acting for the cameras.

Tucker says that every time he returned for more filming, Krystal would seem like a different person, as she fought to regain her integrity.

"We didn't know at the beginning whether or not she could make the complete journey," he recalls.  "The ending could have gone the other way."

By the end of the hour-long documentary, she has matured into a person who is able to accept her faults and not blame others.  Her mother no longer allows herself to be manipulated and will no longer lie for her daughter.  And Krystal's father?  The warmth of their hugs as she "graduates" shows he will try to be a better, more caring person.

It's been a remarkable journey for all three Meades -- as well as for tonight's TV viewers.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »
::puke::
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]