Author Topic: How to help program staff quit their job faster!  (Read 8032 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How to help program staff quit their job faster!
« on: September 02, 2007, 12:01:05 PM »
Tips on how to treat Program staff. Thank this staff for the advice. The kid fucked this motherfucker up and the staff left, this is good strategy folks.

I worked at Youth Care for 2.5 years as a line staff and also as a 'key' staff.  I'm easily identifiable - I was assaulted by a student and required facial reconstruction surgery - and any time I post my old 'friends' who still work there are told to have no contact with me, so I know I'm pushing some serious buttons.

The night I was attacked there were not enough staff on shift, a common occurence at this program.  There were two staff assigned to a house with 14 students - I was only there to finish up paperwork from the day shift.  The student that attacked me was able to walk away from his group, sneak up behind me, and when I hung up the phone he started swinging.  Another student was also able to walk away from his group to come watch.

You want first hand knowledge?  I would come in to work in the mornings and watch the graveyard staff unplug their xbox/ps2/dvd players/laptops, hurry and check all the boxes on the log sheets signifying that they checked the students every 15 mins for signs of life (breathing, movement, etc...) and leave.  Sometimes the graves were still asleep when I got there (they weren't supposed to sleep).  This student was sleeping out of his room which, according to our training, he should have been checked on every 15 mins.  If they were checking, how did the student's body proceed through rigor and livor mortis before the staff even noticed he was deceased?

I finally quit in disgust when the student who watched me get assaulted was re-admitted to the programm despite my concerns for my own safety or the safety of others (he had a history of sexually acting out/flashing female students).

Programs in Utah, and I worked in a few until I gave up and moved to adult corrections, rely on a cheap student labor market and the mystique that 'Utah' is a great, safe place.  Youth Care is like most other programs - profit driven, not care driven.

I worked with some great staff, I tried to be a good staff.  Too bad the administrators can't be more like some of the staff they're fortunate enough to have on the payroll.

This has been also confirmed with the Moab Utah program when the kids hit the staff with frying pan and tied them up. It all works!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 12:29:41 PM »
Does anybody know this staff's name?

Can someone post a picture if you find one?

Thanks!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 02:58:56 PM »
hehe kids tried this at HLA quite a few times. both times i saw it it involved the biggest kid, but the staff managed to subdue him every time. when most of the staff are either military, ex-military, or very overweight, it's kinda hard to overpower anyone.

although there are always a few oompah loompahs you can target. with the average american diet you're bound to get a few pear-shaped midgets among the overweight bunch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 12:06:56 AM »
Advocating violence is a spectacularly bad idea.
 1. The kid is likely to be overpowered and badly hurt
2. The kid is likely to get a criminal record
3. The kid is likely to face worse retribution from the program
4. The kid could end up at an even harsher program.
5. if the staff leaves they may be replaced with someone bigger and tougher

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
I agree - bad idea
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 12:50:49 AM »
We may ask ourselves what kind of people, who works at RTC.

First there is the local ones. A lot of towns are located in isolated places where they are hit by development in the society so there is no jobs to get in their area. They can join the military and go to Iraq if they are fit or stay unemployed.

Suddenly a RTC is founded in the area and of course they take the job. Not so much for the children, but to feed their own family. As a former colleague said: "It would be a nice shop if it was not for all the customers". So the night staff sleeps instead of monitor the children and sometime one of them dies from illness or commit suicide. They are not bad people, because they do the best they can and it is nothing at all but they are not better. Of course they should not have been hired in the first place but who would say to an employer "Thank you for the job offer, but I am not good enough" when the family are hungry back home.

Second there are those born too good for this world who believe that the children should be helped. They will end up dissapointed. They will leave after a while because they find out that it is all about the money. Either they choose another line of work or join the first category after a while.

Third there is those people who should have worked as a drill sergeant with adult people. They do not know the word sympathy. They should not be allowed around children - not even their own. The best place for them are the jail as inmates.

That is why I do not think that violence is the answer. The chance that they hit the wrong type of staff is too high and they risk get a record or spend time in jail.

Instead we should continune to document all the facilities and perhaps copy the contents of fornits Wiki to several places for two reasons:

1) so parents can see that such places can not help their children. Instead they should go to their local politicians so local solutions become available.
2) so former victims can find their survivor group, where they can find children who have been through the same program and perhaps find support for their situation.

And as a final precaution: Putting up posters where teenagers hang out - even the high school, if it can be done. Here is a poster:

http://www.secretprisonsforteens.dk/files/missing.pdf

Violence is not the answer. Some staff-members use plenty of it. Does it help?

Offline Mummie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 01:14:37 PM »
Violence is never the answer.  Change the system, stop the violence.
quot;You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.\"  -Eric Hoffer- (1902-83)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 01:16:27 PM »
Selective application of violence always has a place in every strategy. I'll elaborate more, and put out a request for suggestions, on the Escaper's guide thread.

Offline puck

• View Profile
Re: How to help program staff quit their job faster!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 03:38:50 PM »
Quote from: Guest
Tips on how to treat Program staff. Thank this staff for the advice. The kid fucked this motherfucker up and the staff left, this is good strategy folks.

Wow - you guys are pathetic.  Lets advocate violence as the answer to life's problems.  This student is now being prosecuted as an adult.  What is the reason you post on sites like these?  We all know you think you're clever and that you somehow stand for something.  What positive suggestions have you made?

I was already planning on leaving before I got hit.  

It's amazing how most see it as my fault I got hit - that I got what was comming to me, or that I'm looking for sympathy.  The reason I posted my experience was to point out a typical problem, understaffing.  

Interesting question, to those that advocate violence.  You want to predict my response in this situation and guess what happened to the student?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 03:47:45 PM »
Puck is a good guy!!!! He was always nice enough to bring students home for visits and to play. He was a nice staff you need to leave him alone!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 04:01:52 PM »
Puck:
If you are a real ex-staffer; then I think your comments about under-staffing are valid and important.  Especially for Pitbull Mom, who is searching for answers to why her son did not receive emergency medical care; and was allowed to die, for what is apparently medical negligence.

If your observations are correct: and the night staff possibly did not check on sick children as was required -every 15 minutes, as you stated- then perhaps; you could come forward and offer evidence on Pitbull's behalf?

Your observations and experience seems to be what this mother is looking for to answer the question: why her son was denied emergency medical care.
Was it a question of under-staffing? Lack of training?  Lack of supervision of staff?
Perhaps you can communicate with Pitbull Mom by Private Message.
Personally, I detest these programs, and the lack of oversight by Utah officials, and what I assume will be a cover-up of this boy's death.
But I respect your offer to discuss this facility from your point of view as a staff worker.

I forgot to sign in.  Joyce Harris

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 04:02:03 PM »
Quote from: ""puck""
[
Wow - you guys are pathetic.

Should we put this in with the rest of them?  deadinsaneorinjail, pathetic losers, disgruntled kids.  What have I missed?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 05:00:23 PM »
Can someone post a picture if you find one?

Found it!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 05:05:27 PM »
That's absolutely to most disgusting thing I have ever seen.  Is this for real? :o

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 07:46:17 PM »
Quote from: "puck
It's amazing how most see it as my fault I got hit - that I got what was comming to me, or that I'm looking for sympathy.  The reason I posted my experience was to point out a typical problem, understaffing.  

[/quote

It was your fault that you got busted up. Everything that happens on shift in your unit or group or whatever you call it at Youthcare is completely your responsibility.

I worked with kids who I know where far more violent and was never attacked directly. I had to dodge a few punches, a shovel, numerous rocks, branches, dirt clods, and other crap while breaking fights up, but never was I attacked.

Accept the fact that the attack on you more than likely could have been prevented had you had the experience or the training, but stop insinuating that it wasn't your responsibility.

It makes you sound like a whining cunt.

If that is how you roll then go post on Cafety.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 08:48:04 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Puck:
If you are a real ex-staffer; then I think your comments about under-staffing are valid and important.  Especially for Pitbull Mom, who is searching for answers to why her son did not receive emergency medical care; and was allowed to die, for what is apparently medical negligence.

If your observations are correct: and the night staff possibly did not check on sick children as was required -every 15 minutes, as you stated- then perhaps; you could come forward and offer evidence on Pitbull's behalf?

Your observations and experience seems to be what this mother is looking for to answer the question: why her son was denied emergency medical care.
Was it a question of under-staffing? Lack of training?  Lack of supervision of staff?
Perhaps you can communicate with Pitbull Mom by Private Message.
Personally, I detest these programs, and the lack of oversight by Utah officials, and what I assume will be a cover-up of this boy's death.
But I respect your offer to discuss this facility from your point of view as a staff worker.

I forgot to sign in.  Joyce Harris
:tup:
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]