Author Topic: Words Gone Wrong  (Read 3460 times)

Offline ehm

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« on: May 27, 2003, 05:46:00 PM »
"CONFROTATION"

confront; 1. to face, esp. boldly or defiantly 2. to bring face to face(with) confrontation

Using terms that were harmless and distorting their meanings. They (Straight Inc) were good at doing that. You sound like an idiot describing it in the real world. Was it designed to sound so harmless? I think so. No one really knows what "motivating" is but us. I will forever hate all of those words now.

I don't know. I just think of that from time to time. It pisses me off that I was ever that lost and obedient.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 06:19:00 PM »
You've read some stuff on brainwashing, haven't you? Language is really powerful.

How about how they raped the word "honesty"? One of the most beautiful and blameless words in our language, tortured and bent to mean something frightening and horrible.

And it works the other way, too. Before the Program, I associated the term "twisted thinking" with things like the Mansons and Ted Bundy. But, when I started to get some awareness, I came to have a higher understanding of the true meaning of the term. What it really means, to those of us with awareness, is ...

...any thought or impulse inconsistent with whatever one might imagine staff and group would want you to think at the moment.

There are just SO many words and phrases I'll never hear, read or use the same way ever again.

Never let your sense of
    morals get in the way of
    doing what's right
--Isaac Asimov

Anonymity Anonymous
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 07:34:00 PM »
my personal favorite ANTI straight phrases now are, aside from that motivate this middle finger one,

I FEEL LIKE GOING TO BED!!!
I FEEL LIKE GOING FISHING
I FEEL THAT YOU ARE WRONG
I FEEL hmm, well, you get the picture.

Those straight inc staffers gave hell to whomever said anything that resembled the above phrases in group. JEEZ!! Not to mention the fellow group attendees that were freaking out whenever the first thing that came to mind was "I feel like..." and then started playing those friggin "head games"   DOUBLE JEEZ!!!!

MG8 :smokin:

Offline Walstib14

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 09:11:00 PM »
How about the word "Shine". The staff used to say that about people who were being moved from phase to phase. "You have the shine." What that really ment is that you looked like they had finally gotten to you.

Rich :eek:

[ This Message was edited by: Walstib14 on 2003-05-27 18:12 ]
ometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 03:12:00 PM »
One of my favorites was from the Kids prog...it was "get out of your head!"  In other words - stop thinking! If you're thinking, you're not following our orders or open to our control!

"get out of your head"
 "I was in my head"
 "Staff! So n So is in her head!"

- yeah, I was in my head thinking about ramming that bar stool you sit on in the front of the group through your skull.

Offline JDavid

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/moondiggum
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 03:40:00 PM »
It's amazing that they infested every branch across the entire country with all these tedious details, and they did it without coming into group and specifically laying it all out.  They somehow got us to spread it with perfect detail, and we didn't even have access to cross-communicate with other branch clients.  I guess "Rules Rap" was the #1 method, but there's so much other stuff which we all seem to have developed it into identical fundamentals with the "all or nothing" basis which Straight instilled.

[ This Message was edited by: JDavid on 2003-05-28 12:41 ]

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2003, 04:14:00 PM »
I remember for a while the 5th phasers adopted certain phrases that spread like the plague during confrontational raps....

"I am so sick and tired of people coming in here and messing around with this group".

Like, what the hell does that mean?  Where is the therapy in that?  You are sick of me messing around in your group?  Because I was unaware of the door for 5 seconds?  Because I accidently rocked out in my head for one smidgen longer than the accepted length before becoming fully 100% full of shit because I was jammin to Milli Vanilli in my head?  

How many of you all here were completely oblivious to the true meaning of "taking responsibility"?  We were told that when you got stood up you were supposed to admit what you had done wrong, and then follow this mysterious, and ever elusive set of steps in order to "take responsibility".....I tried to do this my whole program and I never could figure it out.  I stood up, confessed about not being aware of the damn door, and apologized....how is that not taking responsibility?  After all these years I realized I didnt verbal berate myself enough.  I didnt grovel and whine and tell everyone what a wortless piece of druggie shit I was.  I just apologized and said I would try to "make amends".

Its so true how it was a damn circus sideshow....we got stood up so that everyone could take pleasure in slamming us down.  There was no way out, not by lying, not by telling the truth.....no way out.  You just had to hang on and hope that if it was Friday night, that you didnt get set back for a few days and not be able to see your parents who drove 4 hours just to spend a few precious moments alone with you when you werent slaving away at the host home watching over 6 newcomers.

:flame:
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline ehm

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 05:28:00 PM »
Yeah. My vocabulary is permanently ruined. Not to mention that the meanings of those words have changed for me. (learning to think again) For years I've used, "Why don't you take responsability for yourself?" and "Why are you being so defensive?" (this tends to piss people off who aren't really being very defensive)...lol It's like I got a Masters in getting under skin for completing that hell hole.

I don't do that anymore. It really is amazing how much crap they poisoned our minds with. I still catch myself feeling or sounding like a Straightling. It's mostly imbarassing.

We should think of some Straight phrases or  scenes to use as a t-shirt idea. (i'm making shirts now) "Motivate This" is awesome.
The other day I came up with a cartoon/commercial
2 Pictures on the front of shirt
1) A Brain "This is your brain"
2) A brain on a blue chair (splattered and bloody) all over the chair like it was thrown...
"This is your brain on Straight" Any Questions?
Too gory?

Another one: Confrontation Comic book style
A scene in group:
A newc is standing up with  staff yelling, when out of staff's mounth comes a long razor blade. (the blade is the staff's tongue)
It slices the newc down the center, exposing all of his insides. The staff bends down and scoops up the intestines and holds them and shakes them in the newcs face while yelling, "Would you like to talk about this!?"

I know it's gruesome, but so were they.
l8r

Offline Walstib14

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 06:08:00 PM »
How about this one... another staff favorite that would absolutely get a huge responce from the group.

" That's just like saying Fuck You to the group!"

Any time that was said it was like my world would bend and fold into itself . I knew that if I didn't retreat into that safe spot deep in the that far away place in my mind. I would never make it out sane. Sad but true.

Rich
ometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Offline mithygato

• View Profile
    • http://mithygato@aol.com
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 07:54:00 PM »
Mo,

I like the blood stained blue shirt idea - I'd love to see my Mom's face if they found it in my dirty laundry during the X-Mas visit!!!

Didn't know that you finished the program.
To you and everyone else who did, I'm curious what the "graduation" ceremonies were like.
I escaped on 4th phase, so I never got 5th.

The 5th phasers always seemed like a select group (the one at my house stayed out all hours of the night and never got in trouble).

Again, it seemed like no one ever escaped that place - I felt like I was going to spend years there as a prisoner (that's why I booked).
I'm curious what those sick bastards in charge think a graduation from that place constitutes.

Peace on Earth.

David
M.I.A Straight
Richardson Tx. 88/89

P.S.  Does anyone else remember when the captain from Gilligan's Island came to speak?  Straight again manages to make another fond memory of my childhood witness their manipulation and lies to an unsuspecting altruative person.
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity-even under the most difficult cirumstances-to add deeper meaning to his life.  It may remain brave, dignified an

Offline ehm

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »
On 2003-05-28 16:54:00, mithygato wrote:

"Mo,

I like the blood stained blue shirt idea - I'd love to see my Mom's face if they found it in my dirty laundry during the X-Mas visit!!!
I'll see what I can do...

Didn't know that you finished the program.

To you and everyone else who did, I'm curious what the "graduation" ceremonies were like.

I escaped on 4th phase, so I never got 5th.

The 5th phasers always seemed like a select group (the one at my house stayed out all hours of the night and never got in trouble).
I just remember I got to leave OM, and never return. I think my Aunt and Uncle took me out to eat. That night I went out with a bunch of graduates and flirted for the first time in almost 2 years, it was great...(the flirting)

Again, it seemed like no one ever escaped that place - I felt like I was going to spend years there as a prisoner (that's why I booked).

I'm curious what those sick bastards in charge think a graduation from that place constitutes.

Peace on Earth.

David

M.I.A Straight

Richardson Tx. 88/89

P.S.  Does anyone else remember when the captain from Gilligan's Island came to speak?  Straight again manages to make another fond memory of my childhood witness their manipulation and lies to an unsuspecting altruative person."

Not many did escape, it's true. None of us kids wanted to be homeless. If I hadn't been so afraid of my family sending me someplace even worse, I may have copped out more than just once. I just wanted them to let me out. I just wanted my family to treat me like they loved and accepted me. That never happened. Fuck 'em.
Love,
Morli

Offline JDavid

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 01:45:00 AM »
Morli, from what I read about your family, they really do suck.  It's really sad that you got stuck with those people by birth, especially your mom.  I hope ya don't mind me insulting them too.  I'm just wanting to say I think you're right!

Offline JDavid

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 04:58:00 AM »
I remember that rule "Obey my oldcomer".  Was it one of the first 5 rules which were mandated to be stated by whoever got called on?  I remember Honesty and Talking Behind Backs being in that first 5, but I can't remember which other ones were.

I remember some people saying "obey thy oldcomer" in Rules Rap as though it was a religious practice.  That was some sickness.  The ex-clients who said that are probably the people who still approve of Straight.

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 06:58:00 AM »
I remember that rule "Obey my oldcomer". Was it one of the first 5 rules which were mandated to be stated by whoever got called on? I remember Honesty and Talking Behind Backs being in that first 5, but I can't remember which other ones were.

I don't remember that rule specifically. Maybe b/c I didn't even think to disobey my Oldcomer.  I dunno.  

One of the other rules was empathy and sensitivity.
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline JDavid

• View Profile
Words Gone Wrong
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 07:10:00 AM »
One of the other rules was empathy and sensitivity.

Straightlings and those who ran it sure broke that rule.  It was more like "no empathy or sensitivity will be tolerated".