Author Topic: A CAll out to ALL Cedu Grads for a new book  (Read 4328 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A CAll out to ALL Cedu Grads for a new book
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:11:11 PM »
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =290309991

Liam Scheff, a Cedu graduate and someone who I actually attended with, is assembling research for a book/memoirs sort of thing.

Hey Everyone - this is going to be good.
Liam is already an accomplished journalist.

For many of us, this is the light at the end of a very long tunnel.

I CAN't wait for this to get underway. But it all starts with YOU!

He needs memories, research, stories, anything you can gather up.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] , or through
the myspace forum, or you can leave a message below.

I have interviewed a couple fellow travellers down
this road already, and have found it a greatly
rewarding experience. It is quite a thing, to review
the many feelings and experiences, the odd rituals and
beliefs we were surrounded with, to put it side by
side with our adult philosophies, and worldly
experience. Quite a thing.

In sum, I look forward to hearing from you, talking,
swapping stories, and investigating and understanding
our similar, and different experiences.

Please write below, or to my email, with questions,
concerns, comments, etc. I will answer whatever
questions you have to the best of my ability.

Thanks,

Liam Scheff
http://liamscheff.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 05:08:37 PM »
ummm, I do not purport be an accomplished journalist by any measure.    But I have to say,   that Liam's open invitation to Cedu Alumni/a was poorly written.    There was nothing in Liam's post that inspires me to want to contact the nascent autrhor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Book/Liam
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »
At least he can spell...

Offline LS

• View Profile
    • http://liamscheff.com/daily/cedu-documentary/
Seeking interviews with Cedu Survivors
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:26:02 PM »
Hello,

Thanks to Johnny P. for posting my myspace blog here. I look forward to hearing from any and all.

http://www.myspace.com/liamscheff

I do hope to hear from those who've been through that ringer, whether you loved it, hated it, or are somewhere in between.

My goal is to take a comprehensive and complete, honest and actual account of what went on, from person to person, your stories, your thoughts, with your consent as to how much information you give, and what you hold back.

These stories are remarkable, precious, odd, strange, different, and at times shocking, upsetting, and terribly revealing about a deeply hidden face of our culture.

I would like to hear from any and all, former students, staff and parents, who would like to put their stories on the record. (That said, I will respect requests for anonymity, of course).

I will answer any questions any of you have about me, my work, the interview process, etc, if you contact me by email.

Thanks,

Liam Scheff
[email protected]

Offline Rugby Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 01:16:04 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
ummm, I do not purport be an accomplished journalist by any measure.    But I have to say,   that Liam's open invitation to Cedu Alumni/a was poorly written.    There was nothing in Liam's post that inspires me to want to contact the nascent autrhor.

It was actually probably one of the most detailed outreaches yet to get everyone to put some meat behind their words and take some action.
Or would you rather: "Um, I am writing a book, so, like, call me or something."

IMO, you would rather a book not be written, a movie not be made or bad report reach the light of day. I think we know whose side you're really on. If you love Cedu, just say so and stop pissing on progress.
he Fog of Cedu RS 89-91

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 04:34:48 AM »
Hey Johnny, have you heard from Liam? He wanted to interview me, and we had some email exchanges about setting up a time, and then he dropped off the face of the earth.

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
inspired to push on with the idahoway
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 08:40:34 AM »
Yeah, When I figured out he wasn't related to that whole Sue Scheff thing, and that he wasn't the guy making the film documentary that did, in fact drop off the earth (Adam Best?), I also replied to his emails. I'm very sensitive and I want to share that his not contacting me has really hurt the little kid inside of me. I'm going to pound a pillow with Liam's name on it.

Just kidding dude, hit us back when you have a chance. We all want to see intelligent work about pig fucking!
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Liam
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 12:08:48 PM »
I believe he is in the middle of moving...

I will shoot him a line and remind him of his literary obligations!

:wink:

Offline Rugby Punk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 10:11:21 PM »
Just to restate it. For those of you not following - Liam Scheff is NOT related nor has he anything to do with Sue Scheff.
I know Liam. Good guy. Give him your feedback, get this book off the ground. It's important and it's definitely not any Cedu asskissing project. That goes for myself, I have to email him back...DOH!
he Fog of Cedu RS 89-91

Offline LS

• View Profile
Moving weekend, still here on earth!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 01:10:43 PM »
Hi,

Johnny P. wrote and told me to make a peep over here, so "Peep!"

I've been on the road, away visiting friends in the near South, and now, moving back to my beloved Boston.

So, this weekend is focacta for work, other than meditative packing, taping and hoisting boxes...

I have taken interviews thus far with 4 or 5 Cedu folk, and have a few more in line, plus a couple or more  RMA'ers, and one 70's Cedu fellow who wrote, but then disappeared.

The interviews have thus far gone well, with fellow Cedu'ers and I reviewing and, I think, beginning to systematize, to a degree, the pattern of life in the place, so that it will be easily comprehensible to the new reader.

I am happy to talk with any and all who have a Cedu story to tell. Please see the post at the top, or the myspace page link, for details (in short - I am very simply trying to put some actual voices and experiences on the record, for posterity's sake, to record a very hidden bit of our American history.

For my part, I am fascinated, for a variety of reasons, I'm sure, by hidden histories, intentionally forgotten events, buried passages in our past (and present).

I am looking for contacts with staff who will talk openly as well, in praise or criticism of the place.

I once had contact, years ago with Randolph Reynolds, who was, I will maintain to this day, a very decent human being, at least as and while I knew him in the Cedu years. He was a rarity, in my experience, at the place.

There is a Sabro, who showed up on this forum, who I would like very much to talk with, if anyone can help with that.

As for final work - books, etc - there are always possibilities. My purpose is to make the work clear, accurate, representative of individual's points-of-view, and to make it easily publicly available. That, to me, is the first step, and where I can be of use.

Those of you with film cameras, or with aspirations to further work, I think there's plenty there, and the interview series will be of good use to you.

I expect to be done with this work - interview taking - by year's end, and to be transcribing and releasing the work through the first half of 2008.

That's a probable schedule, given other work demands.

But don't wait, if you want to give an interview! B/c at some point - probably Dec/Jan, I'll have to focus my attention on the transcribing and editing for publication.

Thanks for your interest, all, and do email me, not here, but at
http://www.myspace.com/liamscheff

Be well all, bests,

Liam

Offline LS

• View Profile
Sue Scheff
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 01:38:30 PM »
PS - And for the record, I do not know, am not affiliated with, am not working with or for the Sue Scheff, "parent advocate", in question.

Scheff is a fairly rare last name, and I don't know how it got stuck to both of us. As a rule, I don't tend to feel much sympathy for parents who need "advocates" to send their children away to military and reform schools.  

To be fair though, I don't know the woman. I found her auto-bio blog here - http://www.helpyourteens.com/true_story.html - she seems to have fair criticisms of many of the programs.

But, fill me in on the story, if it's of interest.

Liam

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
Re: Moving weekend, still here on earth!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 08:04:28 AM »
Quote from: ""LS""
I am happy to talk with any and all who have a Cedu story to tell. Please see the post at the top, or the myspace page link, for details (in short - I am very simply trying to put some actual voices and experiences on the record, for posterity's sake, to record a very hidden bit of our American history...

As for final work - books, etc - there are always possibilities. My purpose is to make the work clear, accurate, representative of individual's points-of-view, and to make it easily publicly available. That, to me, is the first step, and where I can be of use.

I  need an editor.
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 10:11:07 AM »
Would you be willing to pay for the service? This Anon can edit with a high degree of professionalism but I'm not willing to do it for free, especially if it's big.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
This guy's views are a bit sensational (and inaccurate)....
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 02:09:13 PM »
Take a look at his other work before you agree to be interviewed.  http://aidsmyth.blogspot.com/2005/07/mo ... cheff.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Liam
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 05:42:09 PM »
First of all, I wouldn't say the person makes a real stong argument for what a "liar" Liam is.

Secondly, Liam is a journalistic and aids is a very difficult topic. Of course he is going to have a stance. Some will agree and some will disagree.

Thirdly, Liam ATTENDED Cedu. He knows what we are talking about. He was there. For me, he was just a good listener as I spoke, but it was also nice to have someone relate and that could draw real Cedu examples from what I said.

Fourth - FUCK YOU...then don't be interviewed!