Author Topic: Laurie Hurds Resgination  (Read 5179 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« on: July 14, 2007, 06:34:33 PM »
Dear Hyde Community,

Please read the following two important announcements regarding Laurie's Hurd's resignation and the search for her successor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 4, 2007

Dear Malcolm and the Board of Governors,

With both enthusiasm and regret I submit to you my plans to pass the torch as Head of School for Hyde-Bath, effective June, 2008. Leading the Bath campus for the past seven years has been an honor and privilege-one that has presented an extraordinary learning opportunity for me both personally and professionally. I am grateful for this opportunity and the trust and support you have extended to me during my tenure as Head.

We have accomplished a great deal in Bath over the past several years. The physical plant has gone through a dramatic change. I recall standing in the gym parking lot and envisioning a triangle where the hub of the school life would shift from the Mansion. Today, the Perry Plaza is the center point for comings and goings from the Student Life Center, the Performing Arts Center, the Art Barn, and the new Wheeler Library and the Chase Academic Wing. These campus improvements are a major step forward in helping us facilitate the Hyde process more effectively.

I have always believed Hyde offers an essential ingredient that contributes to making the world a better place. I know I am a better person for having experienced it. Even as a young girl, sitting on my family's living room floor, stuffing envelopes with catalogs that delivered the message about a new school opening in Bath, Maine, I felt deeply connected to Hyde's future. We as a community have and will continue to help people transform their lives.

Paul and I are beginning to consider our next step in life. Wherever we are, we will always carry Hyde with us. The Bath campus, in particular, has special meaning for us. Paul and I shared our wedding vows in the Mansion and, along with our three children, we graduated from Bath. Thank you for playing a significant role in my experience as Head of School for Hyde-Bath. Most importantly, thank you for the amazing opportunity to be part of the Hyde team.

Sincerely,

Laurie G. Hurd
Head of School, Hyde-Bath

Who wants to make bets of which "Gauld" they will put at the helm?  Maybe a "Grant?"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 06:38:05 PM »
July 1, 2007

Dear Hyde Community:

First, I want to thank Laurie for her service to all of us at Hyde. Her commitment began during her student days in the early '70s, continued through her years as director of admissions, and evolved as head of school when she led Hyde-Bath through one of its most dynamic eras.  Laurie began her tenure in 2000 as we were attempting to balance our resources after founding Hyde-Woodstock and Hyde-DC.  She went on to help guide us through the Hyde @ 40 Capital Campaign, through which we raised over $16M.  Her time as head concludes with one of the most productive college placement years we have ever had.  While evidence of Hyde's progress on her watch is readily seen in recent campus improvements-The Joseph W. Gauld Student Life & Athletic Center, the Wheeler Library, the Chase Academic Wing, the Jaye Track and Field- it is, of course, the intangibles that truly make Hyde the special community that it is.  Thanks to Laurie's efforts, Hyde-Bath, the original campus, stands tall in offering its students the four points of our "Character Compass":  1) an inspiring philosophy, 2) a faculty of unparalleled dedication, 3) our signature student culture, and 4) our family education program.  I know the Hyde community joins me in thanking Laurie and in looking forward to the future where a new relationship will form.

Now we begin the difficult task of hiring Laurie's successor. Our search process will begin this summer with advertising the position in key publications and on-line media. In addition to possessing the qualities embodied in any effective head of school, the successful candidate should have considerable experience in teaching and administrating Hyde's unique brand of character education. I will appoint a search committee that will consider applicants for the position with an eye toward identifying a handful of finalists in the fall of 2007. These finalists will then be interviewed by the search committee in hopes of appointing a new head of school in early 2008. An appointment at this time would give the successor time to work with Laurie to implement an orderly and effective transition at the conclusion of school in June of 2008.

I look forward to working with you and the Board of Governors to make Laurie's final year as head of school an outstanding one and to find her successor. I welcome your thoughts and suggestions moving ahead into the future.

Sincerely,

Malcolm Gauld, President

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
interesting
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 09:22:16 PM »
You think she will really leave or is there some Hyde Foundation position already wired for her?  I hope they leave and Paul finds something interesting to do.  It must suck working for your wife in your father in law's business.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 12:23:44 AM »
With Hyde you never know what is the truth or not.  Do you really think they are going to look outside of their cult for a replacement?  I seriously doubt it unless there has been pressure put on them from the Board.  Hyde never brings new leadership in.  They usually just recycle!

Offline Surfer Mouse

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 01:16:22 AM »
I say  bring back Joe Gauld!  ::cheers::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 07:03:47 AM »
Clements is still pitching, so I suppose they could bring back Legg.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 03:10:11 AM »
These candy-assed official missives from the front office clearly state nothing about the real reasons underfoot.  It would appear that there are some deep philosophical differences at the core.  Whether they have been percolating for some time, or whether relevant personnel involved are just acting out a hissy fit, remains to be seen.

Perhaps the original teacher-student relationship between Paul and Laurie has long lost its former appeal, and they would rather finalize "events" out of the limelight and away from potential repercussions for the school.  Personally (and I am sure I will be roundly accosted for saying this), I have always had the gut feeling that Laurie was more... shall we say... interested in "administration," and it certainly must be difficult to keep up pretenses surrounded by the environment she is currently and always has been in.  The kids are now grown and have graduated.  Time to move on and "make it real!"
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Energizer Bunny

• View Profile
    • http://www.hell.com
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 03:22:55 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
These candy-assed official missives from the front office clearly state nothing about the real reasons underfoot.  It would appear that there are some deep philosophical differences at the core.  Whether they have been percolating for some time, or whether relevant personnel involved are just acting out a hissy fit, remains to be seen.

Perhaps the original teacher-student relationship between Paul and Laurie has long lost its former appeal, and they would rather finalize "events" out of the limelight and away from potential repercussions for the school.  Personally (and I am sure I will be roundly accosted for saying this), I have always had the gut feeling that Laurie was more... shall we say... interested in "administration," and it certainly must be difficult to keep up pretenses surrounded by the environment she is currently and always has been in.  The kids are now grown and have graduated.  Time to move on and "make it real!"

i smell a bear! i think i know you. bears don't eat bunnies do they? anyway HI! and on that note, Good Night! :D
TheWho smells like butt.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 03:38:17 AM »

Don' get me started thinkin' 'bout me appetite here, bunbuns, or you'll be working those thighs to the bone hoppin' fer yer life!

Ol' Pooh had the right term fer it... "Smackeroos"  ..but I won' be satisfied wif no smelly ol' honey pot for these chops, no-sir-ee!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 03:50:17 AM »

Don' get me started thinkin' 'bout me appetite here, bunbuns, or you'll be working those thighs to the bone hoppin' fer yer life!

Ol' Pooh had the right term fer it... "Smackeroos"  ..but I won' be satisfied wif no smelly ol' honey pot for these chops, no-sir-ee!!

I love you too!  ok really night night :D

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 06:59:52 AM »

The real reason?  I don't think you will ever get that level of transparency from the TruthWillSetYouFreeVille.   My sense is that Paul has some differences with the way things are being run, and Laurie is tired of have Dad looking over her shoulder.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 11:59:50 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

The real reason?  I don't think you will ever get that level of transparency from the TruthWillSetYouFreeVille.   My sense is that Paul has some differences with the way things are being run, and Laurie is tired of have Dad looking over her shoulder.

How long do you think they will be gone for?  Most Hydettes can't survive in an environment other than under Gauld's rule. I have my doubts as to whether both of them are gone for good.  This would take courage and those who speak and teach courage are the weakest of all!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 12:39:02 AM »
Who wants to make bets of which "Gauld" they will put at the helm? Maybe a "Grant?"
My guess is that Laura may very well move back up to Bath, citing maternal considerations as being at least partially influential, and that Ken Grant will take over the helm at Woodstock.

How long do you think they will be gone for? Most Hydettes can't survive in an environment other than under Gauld's rule. I have my doubts as to whether both of them are gone for good.

I too have doubts as to Laurie and Paul Hurd being gone for good... I am sure that some position will eventually materialize that will enable their continued involvement, yet accommodate their currently desired physical exit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Laurie Hurds Resgination
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 03:48:52 PM »
Yeah, now that the dust has settled over the scandal at Woodstock, the Grant's can go back and continue the incestuous relationships between all those families.  Pretty soon it will be time for the younguns to start marrying each other.  Maybe a certain pediphile has trained his son to diddle with the girls by now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
give Gigi a turn!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 03:56:18 PM »
Hey, they have not let Gigi run a school yet.  No fair.