Author Topic: GAO Hearings and Congress  (Read 7354 times)

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
GAO Hearings and Congress
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2007, 02:03:09 AM »
Whoa, CAFETY not in any way associated w/ Izzy, PURE, etc. You caca freaks are crazy.

Rachael
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Devlin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 02:29:07 AM »
i thought CATEY was with caca and IZZY. They are not connected? im sorry for making the connection if i was wrong someone please fill me in....

Anyways  now not only one group knows who to call to arrange testimony if there is hearings.

Offline *

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2007, 02:39:31 AM »
Quote from: ""Devlin""
i thought CATEY was with caca and IZZY. They are not connected? im sorry for making the connection if i was wrong someone please fill me in....

Anyways  now not only one group knows who to call to arrange testimony if there is hearings.

http://www.cafety.com/    
Community Alliance for the Fair and Ethical Treatment of Youth

Kathryn Whitehead is the Principal.  She is a young adult who is a survivor of a Montana based TBS.
eople, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.  As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others. -Audrey Hepburn

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 02:51:04 AM »
I think Cafety is the advocacy group that works closely with A Start?

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 02:57:06 AM »
CAFETY is probably trying to get the word out and compile a list of people willing to testify for any possible hearings, that would explain them wanting survivors to go through CAFETY. I see it as an attempt to be more organized. As far as confusing the purpose of the GAO in this... Government is frustrating and confusing and the folks at CAFETY are human and maybe just made a mistake or miss worded their post about hearings.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 03:08:12 AM »
There are thousands of people who have been victimized by this industry, stretching all the way back to the 70's and 80's with Straight, The Seed, etc.  Truly a massive undertaking and long overdue.  It will be interesting to see how the special interest groups position themselves.   :wink:

Offline SettleForNothingLess

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 09:59:10 AM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
CAFETY is probably trying to get the word out and compile a list of people willing to testify for any possible hearings, that would explain them wanting survivors to go through CAFETY. I see it as an attempt to be more organized. As far as confusing the purpose of the GAO in this... Government is frustrating and confusing and the folks at CAFETY are human and maybe just made a mistake or miss worded their post about hearings.

thank you hanzomon i agree
Yours Truly,
Ms. Vigilante
Im standing on the frontline, there waiting for you PV bitches. Lets rock n roll.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 10:56:08 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
There are thousands of people who have been victimized by this industry, stretching all the way back to the 70's and 80's with Straight, The Seed, etc.  Truly a massive undertaking and long overdue.  It will be interesting to see how the special interest groups position themselves.   :wink:

I fully expect that groups like NATSAP will position themselves as the solution to any problems regarding abuse, Advocates in sheep's clothing al la Izzy.  In short they will push industry self regulation through phony orgs with impressive acronyms with the accompanying bs slogans about "helping teens in crisis", "restoring families", etc....
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »
I'm starting my own .org for this whole thing. It will be titled W.A.N.K. to express my dislike of almost every single .org in this entire fetid business.

First meeting will consist of the following:

1) Case of beer purchased
2) Case of Beer taken to roof, any roof looking over a major road will do.
3) Case of beer consumed
4) Empties hurled at cars passing by on the road.

The whole thing reads like a bit of a misrepresentation on the part of cafety. I've never met Kat in person, but from what I know about her from our few conversations over the internet she doesn't seem the type to misrepresent herself deliberately. More than likely it was a mistake and not anything done at all with the intention to mislead anyone.

I'm sort of happy to see the email myself. It answers my question about when the hearings will more than likely take place if there is to be any.
am the metal pig.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »
CAFETY and A START are closely linked.  CAFETY is helping organize people who want to present their stories, not control the input.  The GAO is in control of the investigation.  A START is well aware of the hi-jinks of Izzy and Sue, and they regard them as highly as this august group does.  They're something that needs to be scraped off yer shoe...
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline blombro

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/blombro
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »
My understanding as a very active member of CAFETY/Youth ACT

GAO - conducting investigation (anyone can get in contact with them to interview with them.  If we presented ourselves as gatekeepers in anyway, we apologize, it was not our intention.)

Congress - Rep. Miller spoke to representatives from ASTART. (many members who have been promoting community-based services for decades, and have connections to Rep. Miller's office and the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) in the Federal Government.)  It seems probable that Rep. Miller will be holding hearings (separate from the GAO investigation) in late September, based on what he said to members from ASTART himself.

CAFETY's Role - we would like to hold a rally in Washington D.C. to coincide with whenever the hearings are.  We would love to have the help of every other organization that has the stake in this (it would be a rally against TBS's not a CAFETY rally), and are currently in the process of trying to obtain funding to pay for transportation to D.C. (this is all very preliminary).  Hence, why we've been particularly aggressive in trying to get people to get in touch with us, but only for the purpose of getting people down to D.C. to make a statement in a physical fashion.  If nothing else I hope this galvanizes those who have been standing on the sidelines to do something to take this industry down.

Offline Karass

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 04:15:42 PM »
Kathryn and CAFETY are true advocates, and I don't know why any Fornits member would really question what they're trying to do or put them in the same category as Ca-ca or PureBS. I have no doubt they have saved a lot more kids than they realize.

Kat, you're still my hero. I wish I could've made it to NYC for the Over the GW screening and to meet you in person. I'll get out there eventually, and I still owe you...
Like its politicians and its wars, society has the teenagers it deserves. -- J.B. Priestley

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 06:20:41 PM »
Quote from: ""blombro""
CAFETY's Role - we would like to hold a rally in Washington D.C. to coincide with whenever the hearings are.  We would love to have the help of every other organization that has the stake in this (it would be a rally against TBS's not a CAFETY rally), and are currently in the process of trying to obtain funding to pay for transportation to D.C. (this is all very preliminary).  Hence, why we've been particularly aggressive in trying to get people to get in touch with us, but only for the purpose of getting people down to D.C. to make a statement in a physical fashion.  If nothing else I hope this galvanizes those who have been standing on the sidelines to do something to take this industry down.

Thanks for the clarification and you can depend on W.A.N.K.s support!
am the metal pig.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 01:31:41 AM »
Can anyone explain why the GAO is investigating instead of the OIG who did a previous report on RTCs lacking oversight?
http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-02-98-00570.pdf
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 04:04:53 AM »
I just found this in my Email account:

Dear Kat,

As you are sharing your response with HEAL with everyone involved with CAFETY and/or on the cafety-listserv, HEAL has also bcc'd our reply to our members.  We believe this is only fair and are acting to protect the interests of those who place their trust in us and our organization.

Any misunderstanding was facilitated by CAFETY.  Your communications with me stated that it was a GAO Hearing, not a Congressional Hearing.  Perhaps that was a typo in your initial communication on this issue.  Secondly, on the CAFETY website, upon my initial visit after receiving your first e-mail on this alleged hearing, stated that you were gathering information on survivors and if anyone wanted to participate in the hearings they needed to submit their information to you (including: name, when/where institutionalized, etc.).  Nowhere on the CAFETY site or the page regarding this alleged hearing was there any information on how individuals could participate in this hearing without going through you.  So, in the least, it was not created in the spirit of full disclosure nor did it aid those who would participate in acting independently of CAFETY, something I find to be unethical and suspect.

I have reviewed the Congressional Hearings schedule and cannot find any hearing tentatively (or otherwise) scheduled for  this topic.  And, according to Ms. Brown, there is no hearing scheduled at this time and that it likely wouldn't be scheduled until early 2008.  You stated there was a hearing tentatively scheduled for September of 2007.  This is either wholly erroneous information you shared, or, you have inside information that is not being publicly disclosed at this time.

Neither the CAFETY website, nor your personal e-mail to me, stated where you received this information or how one might go about confirming the information through official channels.  I have been in touch with both the GAO and Rep. George Miller's office and neither confirm your statements regarding a scheduled hearing.  In fact, we've received flat out denials that any such hearing is even tentatively scheduled at this time.

We applaud all efforts to expose and close abusive programs and hope that is your sole intention regarding the GAO investigation and alleged hearing.  It is a concern that claiming to have specific information not readily available to the public that you are sitting on it and advocating that survivors "sign up" with you if they'd like to speak to the GAO or at the hearings.  As stated before, the officials involved are presently not confirming or flat-out denying that any such hearing has been scheduled.

We encourage you to encourage others to participate in the democratic process by providing specific and detailed information regarding any pertinent hearing or investigation so that everyone can participate and that no one is left out because they were hesitant or unwilling to give all of their private information to you, CAFETY, HEAL, or any third party.

Sincerely,

Angela Smith
HEAL Coordinator

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 6:00 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Cc: cafety-listserv
    Subject: GAO Investigation and Congressional Hearings

Hi Angela,

Unfortunately it seems that there is a lack of understanding pertaining to the role of the GAO and the separate congressional hearings being held.  Our effort around both the hearings and the GAO investigations pertains to 1. organizing rallies around the hearings and funding to alumni who wish to attend and 2. collecting a database of alumni who may be willing to be contacted by the GAO for their investigation.

At no point has this effort been suggested to be the only avenue of access to the GAO, as your dialogue with this investigative arm of Congress clearly illustrates.  As a democracy, there are plenty of avenues for communication and any effort to facilitate this does not contradict this reality.

It seems you have a misconception of our efforts and I hope that this email clarifies it for you.

Hope you well!

Best, kat