Author Topic: Joe Gauld... on Education  (Read 22597 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Joe Gauld... on Education
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:49:32 PM »
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 87,00.html

From: Letters to the Editor, Time Magazine, Monday, Sep. 07, 1970, in response to a cover article entitled "When the Young Teach and the Old Learn" (Aug. 17, 1970; link to this article, which is a timepiece in and of itself:  http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -1,00.html):

Sir: I have worked with some pretty defiant kids over the past 20 years, but few as defiant as some of today's parents. Growing up in today's world is not the same as growing up in the world of 25 years ago. The difference will not be understood without listening, and listening does not mean surrendering authority.

As my grandfather used to say, it's tough to hear with your mouth open.

JOSEPH W. GAULD
Headmaster
Hyde School
Bath, Me.

Interestingly enough, another Letter to the Editor in the same issue, re. the same article contained some eerily coincidental overtones (bold emphasis added):

Sir: I am not my child's buddy. I am his keeper.

(MRS.) AILEEN GOSE
Las Cruces, N. Mex.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:05:13 AM »
http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/1992/ ... d.h12.html
Education Week
Web Only
Published: October 21, 1992

An Education: Just Do It
By Joseph W. Gauld

Where is the American "can do'' spirit when it comes to education? We defeated both Hitler and Japanese imperialism in four years and then sent a man to the moon and back in eight. Our feeble educational-reform effort is ridiculous.

As a dedicated teacher, I recognized 30 years ago that our present educational system was unsound, because it failed to address the deeper potentials of students, teachers, and parents alike.

• Students: True learning occurs only when the unique intellectual, physical, spiritual, and emotional resources of each youngster are fully engaged. Yet our curriculum was (and is) narrowly focused on just intellectual growth, and mostly in the form of rote learning. So we ended up giving false confidence to the few whose learning styles best fit this mold, while unnecessarily discouraging the remaining 80 percent who were labeled "average'' or less.
  • Teachers: I chose teaching for the exciting challenge of truly preparing kids for life, hoping to have them return one day to say, "If it weren't for you, Mr. Gauld...'' But I found myself and other dedicated colleagues assigned to becoming academic clerks on a mindless assembly line, with only haphazard opportunities to inspire the deeper spirit and character of students.
  • Parents: I found that parents--the primary teachers--had been totally removed from the educational process, and even worse, that the system itself was unwittingly undermining crucial family values (cheating flourished because achievement outweighed the untaught value of integrity; helping others was discouraged because there were only so many A's to go around; conformity was encouraged because being what friends or teachers wanted you to be got you ahead; etc.)

In protest, I finally founded the Hyde School in Bath, Me., to find a better way to help American kids prepare for life. Now, 26 years later, here is what the Hyde experiment says American education needs to do:

First and foremost, resurrect the American family, the real source of both the American character and its can-do spirit. I can't speak for other countries, but the American spirit can't be developed by some "system'' (American education isn't really even a system; it's an overblown bureaucracy). And Hyde School has confirmed one basic truth: Teachers can seldom push student attitudes, effort, and character growth beyond those of their parents. Our schools are wasting huge amounts of time pursuing the illusion that they can somehow change kids without changing their parents.

Forget "parent involvement'' in schools. We need school involvement in parents. Schools need to learn how to help both parents and families achieve child-rearing excellence. Character development has never worked in schools, because character can't be "taught''; it is "caught'' through example. So parents--and teachers--need a curriculum to address their own character growth.

If you think all of this is implausible, it's the way education is practiced at my school. Once parents weather the initial shock of focusing on their own growth, they become motivated to help themselves and each other examine their attitudes, character, dreams--virtually every aspect of their lives. Why? Because they watch their efforts directly benefit their kids and dramatically improve their own lives in the process. If an effective parent and family curriculum can work in a boarding school, it certainly can work in public schools where parents live nearby.

A second national blindness regards the role of adolescence: Teenagers are not children. I've found that how teenagers handle adolescence largely determines how they will conduct their entire lives. We should help teenagers address questions like "Who am I; Where am I going with my life; What do I need to get there?,'' then challenge them with extensive responsibilities while encouraging them to take risks, since they learn most from their mistakes. It is a national shame that the same teenagers who are traditionally asked to fight our wars are still expected, in our schools, to have even a tardiness verified by an adult--just like 3rd graders.

Hyde School says, "Eighty percent of what adults presently do in high schools could, and should, be handled by the students themselves.'' Hyde students help set and maintain our academic and personal standards, automatically running a class in a teacher's absence; dismissing a classmate without homework; requiring each other to honor school ethics like "no smoking'' and helping to determine the discipline when they don't; evaluating teachers--even interviewing prospective ones; often assuming a leadership role in their families; the list is endless.

A third national blindness regards the embarrassing role we assign to the American teacher--like hiring a Michael Jordan to clean up after practices. Parents willingly pay professionals who straighten their children's teeth five times those who could change their children's entire lives. Most teachers enter education hoping to have a deep influence on kids, then become stuck in a system in which they can't deal with their students as human beings, and may even be mistrusted when they try. The emphasis on achievement further encourages teachers to see students only as achievers, not as growing individuals. I agree that what teachers presently do in schools is not worthy of professional status. But that is our fault, not theirs. We need to create a new role in which teachers help guide the entire growth process of youngsters, including the family. Even beginning Hyde teachers have proven effective in this new role.

How do we begin these dramatic new roles for parents, teachers, and students? The roles will naturally follow once we clearly and effectively define the basic purpose of American schools. Ask 20 people the basic purpose of American education, and you're likely to get 20 different answers. Schools are expected to meet everyone's expectations with the added proviso that accountability begins and ends within the school itself. If you don't think so, what do you think would happen if a teacher told a set of parents they were not doing their job?

The biggest educational concern of adults today seems to be that the poor academic skills of young people are screwing up our businesses and universities. What incredible arrogance! Kids are not some herd of cattle designed for our purposes. As Kahlil Gibran so wisely wrote about children: "... [T]heir souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.'' So help children believe in their own spirit, and they will provide the leadership for tomorrow's world.

We have found that a powerful unifying school purpose can be built on the premise that each student is gifted with a "unique potential'' that defines his or her destiny. So the school's goal becomes helping each student develop both his or her potential and the necessary character to fulfill it. This purpose has proven to highly motivate students and to recenter the educational process on the family, while molding parents, teachers, and students into a powerful team. And this larger purpose seems to take care of the poor academic skills; for example, 100 percent of Hyde graduates are being accepted to recognized four-year colleges.

Once parents and the community determine the school's basic purpose, they should allow--even expect--the teachers, together with students and parents, to design the necessary program. I'd like to shoot whoever first decided American schools could be run by "elected'' officials. Education is not a "democratic'' process, and it never will be. "School boards'' today make too many decisions that should be left to professionals, or at least to the participants. By contrast, the "Hyde Board of Governors'' assigns itself just three tasks: 1) approve all short- and long-range plans; 2) evaluate the administration; and 3) keep us from shooting ourselves in the foot. They expect us to operate like high-level professionals and will simply find someone else if we don't. Treat teachers the same way, and you will be amazed at their performance.

Will Hyde's concept of education work outside the somewhat greenhouse conditions of a Maine boarding school? We'll soon find out: The first Hyde public school program opened last month in Gardiner, Me., a school system of 2,800 students. A Hyde public school-community model has just been approved for Washington; similar models in Indianapolis; Winston-Salem, N.C.; and Springfield, Mass., are now on the drawing boards.

To me, the question is not whether the programs will work. In my opinion, American schooling is presently tapping less than 20 percent of the potentials of students, parents, and teachers, so these Hyde models could do a mediocre job and still be a spectacular improvement. The question is whether the American can-do spirit will be allowed to work in its schools. I'm betting 30 years of my life that it will.

Joseph W. Gauld is the president of the Hyde Foundation in Bath, Me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:12:37 PM »
* (cheating flourished because achievement outweighed the untaught value of integrity; helping others was discouraged because there were only so many A's to go around; conformity was encouraged because being what friends or teachers wanted you to be got you ahead; etc.)

Get real.

Conformity is necessary to SURVIVAL at Hyde.  Its the only way you can get ahead or even just get everyone off your back.

"Helping others" is better known as "Brother's Keeper" also known as snitching and ratting out your best friends in the REAL world.  For stupid shit like smoking a fucking cigarette or even having mean thoughts about your piss-ass roommate who uses your damn towel and wears your clothes without asking.

"Integrity" my ass.  Its the same old game.  They just switched the goal posts.

"Achievement" is not measured by how well you do in academics.  no.  Achievement is now measured by how well you confront your classmates about all their deficiencies and just how much you rip your guts out in public telling everyone about stupid shit you used to do, and stupid shit your parents do, and well you can cry in Disco Grp.

Whats the point?  Think THATA gonna do anyone any good in the long run?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 03:53:41 PM »
cheating on "character developement" flourishes at Hyde.

no cheat? prolly not graduate.

because character can't be "taught''; it is "caught'' through example.

see example of hyde staff and adminstrators   :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 04:24:51 PM »
I'd like to shoot whoever first decided American schools could be run by "elected'' officials. Education is not a "democratic'' process, and it never will be.

I don't know what county Joe lives in, but I live in a Republic with democratic traditions.  On of the factors that made this Republic the largest economy in the world is the high level of public education.

I think this is the fellow Joe wants to shoot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Mann

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 05:33:43 PM »
Quote from: ""Joe Gauld""
I'd like to shoot whoever first decided American schools could be run by "elected'' officials.
Uummm... Was the editor at Education Week asleep the day this got published?  Hmm... Perhaps allowing this through was deliberate.

Later, in the same paragraph:
By contrast, the "Hyde Board of Governors'' assigns itself just three tasks: 1) approve all short- and long-range plans; 2) evaluate the administration; and 3) keep us from shooting ourselves in the foot. They expect us to operate like high-level professionals and will simply find someone else if we don't.

Fat chance the Board "will simply find someone else" when Gauld got them the job in the first place.  I do believe one could call that being "elected" by Joe Gauld, ha!

----------------------------------

Addendum:  Oops!  Just noticed that Guest beat me to the punch!  Guess I was not the only one whose eye was triggered by that phrase!   :lol:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 07:03:08 PM »
http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/1997/ ... d.h16.html?
Education Week
Web Only
Published: April 23, 1997

DEPARTMENTS
Why American Education Is Failing

Two new, crucial, and interrelated skills will control the fate of American education: (1) How to more deeply motivate growing youngsters; and (2) How to systemically address parental growth and family issues.

Last year, the president of IBM called all U.S. governors together and got them to agree that establishing national standards is the way to solve America's educational woes. Clearly, they believe the problem is underachieving American teachers, students, and parents, who simply need to be held to a higher standard.

But the late W. Edwards Deming, who is credited with transforming Japan's industry into world leadership, brilliantly taught business leaders how to distinguish between problems caused by an underachieving system, as opposed to those caused by underachieving workers. When asked what he thought of America's educational system, he replied, "It is horrible."

In 1962, as a dedicated teacher, I suffered a crisis of conscience when I realized I was part of an educational system that was failing kids everywhere. This led to my founding a private school in Bath, Maine, to explore more deeply the process of how youngsters are effectively prepared to live meaningful lives. Here is what I believe the 30-year experiment at my school has uncovered:

Motivation holds the key to educational success. Horace Mann noted that, given a year to teach spelling, he would spend the first nine months just on motivation. The Hyde School experiment rediscovered that the deepest human motivation is self-discovery. We learned to appreciate why the ancient Greeks stressed the dictums "Know thyself" and "Become what you are."

Hyde found that at about age 13, our deeper intellectual, physical, emotional, and spiritual capacities begin to empower us to fulfill a unique and larger vision of ourselves; and further, that adolescence is to serve as its foundation. Just as we will not grasp algebra without first mastering the fundamentals of arithmetic, so we will not fulfill our larger selves without first discovering and developing our deeper intellectual, physical, emotional, and spiritual resources during this critical period.

This comprehensive human-growth process is well beyond the scope of our present educational system, which essentially expects to motivate student achievement through the vision of better jobs and more money. As powerful as these ego motivations might seem, they fail to reach the deeper and more spiritual motivations and resources in students. In fact, this system distracts students from their deeper self-discovery motivation by unwittingly encouraging their more instant-gratification ego motivations--often expressed in drugs and alcohol, sex, cigarettes, aggression, image, cliques, vandalism, shoplifting, cheating, and other negative outlets.

Moreover, this system's narrow and shortsighted focus on academic achievement unfortunately favors certain inborn abilities and learning styles, which often results in widespread resistance, apathy, and even hostility in students. If we study the varied human learning styles based on the individuation theory of psychiatrist Carl Jung, we will realize that the learning styles of only 12.5 percent of us really fit well in traditional classrooms. If the rest of us hope to succeed in schoolwork, we must scurry around adjusting our more innate approaches to thinking and learning. This may help explain why years of schooling play such a limited role in how most of us actually conduct our lives.

But the American business-university complex has sold the public--and therefore our politicians--on the idea that "world-class academic standards" hold the key to America's future. Therefore, test-score "achievement" will increasingly dominate our schools, thus further exacerbating America's continuing conflict between what it rigidly defines as "academic excellence" and the reality of America's wide diversity of individual potential.

The losers? Many of those who fail to adjust their diverse learning styles to fit the system. Some who get stuck in family dysfunctions that nobody addresses. Others that lack the kind of family support that is almost essential to success in our system. And all of this is producing growing hordes of kids who get seduced into what our wrongheaded system has helped create: today's overpowering and hedonistic youth culture. Kids are born with a deeper spirit that will seek to express itself; if we don't give it a right path, it will usually take whatever it can get.

If we were to examine the educations of all those who actually achieve excellence and fulfillment in life, we probably would be shocked by how many had rebelled against our narrow system, and instead listened to their own inner calling. Do we know the number of Thomas Edisons, Orville Wrights, Albert Einsteins, and Eleanor Roosevelts who made it in spite of us, and who ended up leading most of those who trusted our system?

A recent poll indicates that students also overwhelmingly want higher academic standards. Why? Just for the sake of "getting a college degree." The study sadly reports: "The vast majority of youngsters showed little curiosity or sense of wonder." Do we really believe our system will somehow magically transform such kids into dynamic individuals in life?

If our system is in fact failing to help American students discover and develop their deeper potentials, then when they become parents, they will likely support the same faulty indoctrination of their children.

Is this happening today? Our experiment in Maine found that effective child rearing depends on parental growth. A child cannot raise a child; effective parents need to learn: (1) how to "let go" of their own unproductive childhood experiences and attitudes; (2) how to let go of their own parents; (3) how to grow emotionally and spiritually, as well as intellectually and physically, en route to (4) pursuing the discovery of their own deeper selves and larger purpose in life. Few American parents today have experienced this deeper growth. So how can "national standards" address this deeper systemic problem?

The Hyde concept, which has now been successfully tested in public schools, first and foremost seeks to draw upon the powerful self-discovery motivation in students. Its "Character First" process builds on the premise that each of us is gifted with a unique potential that defines a destiny.

This premise gains further strength by renewing America's commitment to the dignity and worth of each individual. It radically restores character development as a school's primary task. (As Heraclitus noted, "Character is destiny.") This in turn firmly centers the entire educational process on the family; because in character development, parents are the primary teachers, and the home the primary classroom.

Our work has proven that this simple intrinsic rather than extrinsic focus can dramatically transform education as it is practiced in America today:

• It creates a strong student-teacher-parent bond; character and unique potential are primarily developed by example, so parents, teachers, and students alike individually participate in the overall process.
  • It leads students to realize that their many ego responses to the present achievement system are counter to their deeper desire to fulfill their true selves.
  • Students dramatically come to expect the best in each other; they help each other maintain high academic and ethical standards.
  • Character excellence inevitably leads to academic excellence; while we do not prescreen students academically, 97 percent of our graduates have matriculated to four-year colleges.
  • Teachers can be trained to fully oversee the Character First process in just three years; in fact, we have observed teachers leading students and colleagues after only a six-day workshop.

But this is hard stuff. It requires both parents and teachers to realize that they themselves grew up in the wrong system, and that now they must lead by the example of their own changes and growth. We find that students, in time, gratefully and enthusiastically respond to this leadership. And in every case so far, when the parent "gets" the concept, so does the kid, although not always by graduation time.

The choice is ours. We can buy the national-standards solution, blame the school "workers," and hold them responsible through test scores. Or we can finally begin to act like Americans, roll up our sleeves, and inspire growing kids by our own example of growth. I guarantee they will follow.

Joseph W. Gauld is the founder of the Hyde School in Bath, Maine, and the author of Character First: The Hyde School Difference (San Francisco: ICS Press, 1993). The Hyde School's home page can be accessed on the Internet at http://www.hyde.pvt.k12.me.us.

Offline silentlysinging

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 11:01:41 PM »
Even beginning Hyde teachers have proven effective in this new role.
Hyde teachers? If you could call them that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it true that a lot of the staffmemembers that teach at Hyde don't even have teaching degrees, and some don't have college degrees at all? Of course, he failed to mentioned that. Wouldn't an educational publication find this horrifying? I think so.

The biggest educational concern of adults today seems to be that the poor academic skills of young people are screwing up our businesses and universities. What incredible arrogance! Kids are not some herd of cattle designed for our purposes. As Kahlil Gibran so wisely wrote about children: "... [T]heir souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.'' So help children believe in their own spirit, and they will provide the leadership for tomorrow's world.
You're right, Joe, kids are not some herd of cattle designed for your or anyone's purposes. Do you realize that Hyde is not improvement from the school system you claim to loathe so much, but in fact much worse? Much, much worse. In so many ways. Do you beleive all this shit about how wonderful Hyde is? Are you so deluded as to really think that the environment you've created is actually a healhty and positive one, an ideal one like the one you describe it as being? Do you really believe this? Are you that far gone? Or are you just an atrocious, psychopathic lying piece of shit with no regard whatsoever for actual morals? Help kids believe in their own spirit?? For fuck's sake, Hyde breaks more spirits than anything. Okay, and I love Khalil Gibran, and it really bothers me that Gauld quotes him, because it's fucking Gauld. and I think it's a bit out of context here. what the hell

100 percent of Hyde graduates are being accepted to recognized four-year colleges.

Wow...just...wow. THAT IS A BLATANT LIE, and he has the nerve to preach integrity??

:flame:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:40:09 PM by Guest »

Offline silentlysinging

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 11:15:37 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
* (cheating flourished because achievement outweighed the untaught value of integrity; helping others was discouraged because there were only so many A's to go around; conformity was encouraged because being what friends or teachers wanted you to be got you ahead; etc.)

Get real.

Conformity is necessary to SURVIVAL at Hyde.  Its the only way you can get ahead or even just get everyone off your back.

"Helping others" is better known as "Brother's Keeper" also known as snitching and ratting out your best friends in the REAL world.  For stupid shit like smoking a fucking cigarette or even having mean thoughts about your piss-ass roommate who uses your damn towel and wears your clothes without asking.

"Integrity" my ass.  Its the same old game.  They just switched the goal posts.

"Achievement" is not measured by how well you do in academics.  no.  Achievement is now measured by how well you confront your classmates about all their deficiencies and just how much you rip your guts out in public telling everyone about stupid shit you used to do, and stupid shit your parents do, and well you can cry in Disco Grp.

Whats the point?  Think THATA gonna do anyone any good in the long run?

YES. Conformity is necessary to survival at Hyde; it is the only way anyone gets through Hyde... The irony of his comments about cheating and conformity here would almost be funny if it all wasn't so fucking sad.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 11:31:09 PM »
This comprehensive human-growth process is well beyond the scope of our present educational system, which essentially expects to motivate student achievement through the vision of better jobs and more money. As powerful as these ego motivations might seem, they fail to reach the deeper and more spiritual motivations and resources in students. In fact, this system distracts students from their deeper self-discovery motivation by unwittingly encouraging their more instant-gratification ego motivations--often expressed in drugs and alcohol, sex, cigarettes, aggression, image, cliques, vandalism, shoplifting, cheating, and other negative outlets.

I beg to differ with Joe Gauld's characterization of the American school system as operating solely to "motivate student achievement through the vision of better jobs and more money."  I think any decent self-respecting teacher who has gone into his or her profession with a love of kids and learning would take issue with him as well.  To reduce our educational system to one functioning purely on "ego motivations" is laughable at best.  Does he really expect to be taken seriously?

Who does Joe Gauld think he is to insinuate that only his particular brand of "life instruction" is worthy of a respect reserved for the real deal?  It is insulting to all of us.

I am beginning to wonder about Education Week's motivation for publishing all these Gauld diatribes.  Is this some right wing crackpot publication linked to some conservative think tank?  Or are they hoping their tolerance for his rantings will enable him to figuratively hang himself, and save everyone else from the trouble?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 12:47:57 AM »
100 percent of Hyde graduates are being accepted to recognized four-year colleges.

I am not saying or even implying that the above scenario is necessary in all cases, but in certain cases, I am sure that they do fall back on it.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 07:59:08 AM »
He does tend to recycle the same stories, eh?  In this version, he mentions the attempt Hyde made to start a Charter School in Springfield, Massachusetts.  That ended up not going anywhere; probably not many of the locals even remember it.  I wonder just how much of this recent $16 million fund-raising campaign is earmarked for more Charter School attempts?

-----------------------------------------------------

http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... ews02.html
Character Development: A School's Primary Task.
By Joseph W. Gauld

Reprinted from The Wall Street Journal,
Wednesday, April 1, 1992, Eastern Edition
Mr. Gauld is president of the Hyde Foundation

The educational mafia has never understood that all learning begins with the development of character and a sense of purpose. Take World War II, when Congress voted a free college education for returning GIs. Academia was horrified; no less than the president of the University of Chicago darkly warned that these obviously academically unprepared vulgarians would turn our universities into "educational hobo jungles". In fact, the GIs ended up being hailed as the best students in our collegiate history.

This experience tells us that if we take care of character, academic achievement will follow. But I was long duped by the mafia's enshrinement of academic achievement. When I taught advanced-placement calculus 30 years ago, I gave my highest grade to a lazy and arrogant 14-year-old genius, while trying to convince him he was totally unprepared for life, and my lowest to a dedicated but discouraged kid, while trying to convince him his character and drive might someday make him the best engineer in class. The first did graduate from MIT with an "A" average at 18, but he has long been unemployed. The second became a top engineer.

This academic achievement-over-character craziness finally came to a head for me while I was interviewing a wild-eyed youngster for admissions to the boarding school at which I then taught. Gordy was totally unqualified-below-average IQ and flunking all of his courses. But he was a spirited "street-smart" kid who desperately wanted a chance, so I took him anyway. His rebel spirit proved a challenge to the faculty, but eventually he gained a doctorate in psychology and founded a family learning center.

Years later, in 1966, I founded the Hyde School in Bath, Maine, to shift fully the educational focus from subject content to student character. Hyde assumes each youngster to be gifted with a "unique potential", thus making our boarding school's mission to help each student develop the necessary character-courage, integrity, concern for others, curiosity, leadership, to fulfill this larger purpose in life.

The 25-year-old experiment has prepared youngsters for life. And over the past six years, 97% of Hyde’s graduates have gone on to four-year colleges. But we did have to break new ground, particularly in learning how to improve parenting. In fact, we found we needed to refocus the entire educational process on first strengthening the family.

We at Hyde are now setting up Hyde public-school models, one of which is slated to open in September in Gardiner, Maine. Similar models are expected to open, probably in Indianapolis, IN, Winston-Salem, N.C., and Springfield, Mass. Each will require a commitment from student, parent and teacher alike to honor Hyde principles at home and at school.

We find that most of what adults currently do in most schools could and should be handled by the students themselves. All Hyde students in Maine hold school responsibilities and jobs. And they relentlessly maintain a commitment to one another's best interest (e.g., students may ask a fellow student without homework to leave class; they will require those who violate school ethics-by smoking, for example-to turn themselves in). Students readily respond to these new responsibilities. Yet most of our schools today expect the same teenagers who manage our convenience stories and fast-food restaurants to get a lateness pass signed by an adult-just like a third-grader.

The Hyde curriculum is based on designing a full set of experiences to challenge each student's character and unique potential; then providing journal-writing exercises, self-help groups, counseling and other means to help each student examine and reflect upon his actions and behavior. This leads to changes and new challenges, and the cycle is repeated once again. All students take a rigorous liberal arts program and participate in athletics, performing arts, community service and leadership responsibilities. The Hyde public-school models will extend the school day to 4:30 to accommodate these programs.

We also have learned a profound respect for "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". When Dad becomes open and less defensive, so will Junior; when Mom accepts a new challenge, so will Suzie; and so on. Parent seminars are conducted monthly in 19 regions nationally and parents attend three four-day family seminars at the school yearly in which they work on personal growth and family issues. We believe this work is the key to improving American education.

Hyde defines a basic family as at least "one committed adult and one growing child". We find a mentor for youngsters who want to join but lack a committed parent. Skeptics think most American parents won't accept such a challenge. But in Springfield, Massachusetts, the first city tested for interest in the public-school program, we had 650 preliminary family applications for 150 projected places.

What is the teacher's role at Hyde? All operate as guidance counselors for students, parents and families. Since character is taught by example, teachers also have seminars to help one another work on both personal and professional growth. Teachers are openly evaluated by students, which is surprisingly effective in confirming teacher strengths and improvements. (Remember, Hyde students are partners in school operations.)

Address the entire character of youngsters; re-involve the family; create a dynamic parent-teacher-student partnership; then teach academic subjects. This approach will help move American students to first place in the world.

Copyright © 1992, Woodbury Reports, Inc. (This article may be reproduced without prior approval if the copyright notice and proper publication and author attribution accompanies the copy.)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:15:56 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
I beg to differ with Joe Gauld's characterization of the American school system as operating solely to "motivate student achievement through the vision of better jobs and more money."  I think any decent self-respecting teacher who has gone into his or her profession with a love of kids and learning would take issue with him as well.  To reduce our educational system to one functioning purely on "ego motivations" is laughable at best.  Does he really expect to be taken seriously?

Yes, absolutely. Joe is accustomed to expounding his prophetic visions of true community permeated by his guiding presence to audiences of bored fifteen-year-old ciphers. No one has dared to disagree with that loose cannon for forty years. It is an educational experience worthy of Fascist Italy, Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, and fundamentalist Iran: the passive, acritical acceptance of authority.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 08:37:06 AM »
...the passive, acritical acceptance of authority.

read Stanley Milgram...
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=21676

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 11:55:18 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""

Yes, absolutely. Joe is accustomed to expounding his prophetic visions of true community permeated by his guiding presence to audiences of bored fifteen-year-old ciphers. No one has dared to disagree with that loose cannon for forty years. It is an educational experience worthy of Fascist Italy, Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, and fundamentalist Iran: the passive, acritical acceptance of authority.

I fund it really amusing.  The statement of the problem, the solution to the problem all in one tidy little tirade.  Lost souls on the highway find this huckster who says, " Hey do you know what your problem is?"  "Well let me tell you ......"

Mothers of River City. Heed that warning before it's too late! Watch for the telltale signs of corruption. The minute your son leaves the house, does he re buckle his knickerbockers below the knee? Is there a nicotine stain on his index finger? A dime-novel hidden in the corn crib? Is he starting to memorize jokes from Cap'n Billy's Whiz-Bang? Are certain wooooords creeping into his conversation? Words like "swell". A-ha! and "so's your old man". If so my friends. . .ya got trouble!