Author Topic: My Experience of PURE, Inc. and Sue Scheff  (Read 16064 times)

Offline kel78

• View Profile
My Experience of PURE, Inc. and Sue Scheff
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2003, 05:20:00 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you to the anonymous parent that visited schools when trying to decide how best to help a child.  It's good to have places like this, where voices can be heard, but it's equally important for parents to be just as aware of the places they send even "troubled" children.  I understand that in some cases, that's not financially possible, or it may be discouraged.  I just know that one day I'll be a mother, and there is no way in Murgatroid that I'm sending my child off to some place that I've never visited.  

Sue may be honestly trying to help place kids in schools where they can be helped to get past serious addictions, or real problems that can't be dealt with while a child lives at home.  But "corrective" schools and shipping off kids ought to be a last resort, and a well researched one.  You can only trust another person so much, not to sound too jaded, but you really can't be too careful.  There are a lot of walking reminders of that among the posters here.  

And for Carey's being banned from a board, the reasons that were given sound hauntingly familiar to me personally, and probably to a great number of readers.  The louder you protest, the harder they bite back.  Congrats for not letting them continue to censor and squelch.  I'm looking for 'demerits' these days, lol!  But seriously, thanks for standing up for all of us that are just learning we really have a choice and a voice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing.
- Agatha Christie

Offline SuFlowers

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2003, 08:54:00 PM »
I support and stand by the statements made by Carey Bock.  I have my own history with this organization. I was scorned and dismissed from this organization for my viewpoints.  Their choice but for the record,
 I would NOT have accomplished the work I have done in Costa Rica without CAREY BOCK.
As for Sue Scheff's organization and network, I learned real fast not to trust it.  

PRAY FOR THE TEENS IN AMERICA.

SU FLOWERS
SAN JOSE, COSTA RICA

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2004, 05:40:00 AM »
I am a graduate of Spring Creek Lodge, a WWASP program, and now i currently work there on and off while i go to school.  The other day at my shift change we were read a letter from a parent with her child currently in the program.  The mother talked about the changes she had made in her life and the changes she had seen in her son and in her family.  The woman had visited Spring Creek on a few occasions and met many of the staff members.  The woman made no comment on the cost of tuition or on the mistreatment to her son.  The woman was happy to see her child healthy and happy with a better outlook for his future, which this boy at one point did not see any of this possible.

I come from a single parent home, with a struggling mother fighting to support her two daughters.  I was a very rebelious child, starting weed, alcohol, and cigarettes at the age of 11, and moving to meth by about 14.  I was in and out of trouble with the law and disobedience to my parents.  By my 16th birthday my mom was to the point where it came to intervening in my life or watching her daughter slowly kill herself.  

I was enrolled in Spring Creek Lodge December of 2000.  I spent 18 months in the program until i graduated the program and high school (one year earlier than my class at home).  At that time I had already been accepted to college and was getting ready to enroll in my first year at the University of Montana.  I am now ending my sophmore year with a 3.25 GPA.  I am clean off drugs (not saying I haven't had my ups and downs and fair share of relapses), anf working towards building a new life.

I am not at all trying to promote the WWASP programs, I'm just stating my own experiences that I have had in my own life.  Being in the program is just a small part of it, working there has been a huge experience in its self.  When i go to work it's not about the paycheck, it's about the kids there.  I put more of myself into them than I did myself while I was in the program.  And, no, I have no special liscence for my job, but if you could see the look on there faces when you walk onto the facility it makes all the difference.  I have watched girls throughout their whole program and actually observed and helped them make some amazing changes in their lives.

In the end it is all the choice of the kids ro make the change when they get home.  The program gives them guidelines to fallow and life skills to help them through it, and its their parents love and devotion to help them through it.  There is not a day i can recall where my mother complained about the money she spent (which she did not have) to keep me in the program until I completed.  All i ever hear from her is how proud and happy she is of the things I accomplished, and the main part is the fact that I am off drugs.  

My main reason in writing this reply is that there are many aspects that aren't looked at in these articles.  The BBS isn't the program, and it doesn't have anything to do with what is going on in the programs.  I believe that placement into these programs is up to the parents of the children, not myself or anyone elses.  For that reason, I am not promoting or not recomending the program to anyone, I'm just stating my own opinins and views about my eperiences.

Shaundel Boyce

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »
Shaundel - You may have no special license, but you have the passion and life experiences to share.  You're closer to the age of the teens there and probably have the trust moreso than some of the older staff.  

Relapses, falling down is part of life.  You fall, you get up, you fall, you get up again, or not...it's a choice.  

Most parents don't have the funds readily available.  It takes a huge commitment to see that it's not about money, but about a precious life that is being destroyed in more ways than death if there isn't involuntary intervention.  I'll bet that most of the kids that go to SCL don't think they need to be there.  

I'm not sure why this is on a PURE thread, but I'm glad you shared your struggles and what you are BEing for the teens.  It's a learning experience for everyone.

Take care

Offline teachback

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2004, 09:47:00 PM »
Deny it all you want to. You know what the say, denial ain't just a river in Egypt. There are documented cases of abuse at WWASP, Shaundel. WTF are you thinking????

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2004, 10:16:00 PM »
Shaundel, you've been out less than two years.  When you've been working somewhere outside the programs for at least five years, come back and say whatever you have to say.  

A lot of survivors of these schools were in really bad situations and putting a good face on it until the PTSD kicked in.

Unfortunately, because of that, the rest of us don't have any way of telling whether you're really happy and okay, or whether you're locked away behind a happy, compliant "program face."

So anyway, *genuinely*---come back when you've been out and not working in a program for five years, and give us the benefit of whatever your perspective is then.

The problem with the teen help industry being largely unregulated is that it's hard to tell good schools from bad ones.

I tend to think that the good ones would *want* the oversight and regulation to weed out cut-rate substandard fly-by-night competitors, so the schools that protest proposals for oversight tend to arouse my skepticism.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
There are documented cases of abuse at WWASP

Dear Frank:

The cases you speak of, where are they documented.  I would like to know where to go to get copies of the documented cases.

(Not news articles or sworn statements, but actual documented cases.)  

Not being a smart ass here, but I have seen sworn statements that are lies.  I have read news stories that are written based on hearsay and contain inaccurate information.  I am looking for actual docuentation.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »
Ok then, what kind of documents are left? You need to see full color close up photos w/ signed confessions to be convinced? By your standard, Charles Manson would be a perfectly suitable custodian of children. After all, there is absolutely no documentable evidence of his involvement in ever hurting anyone.

I don't go lookin' for trouble. I just keep a little in a box should someone come by who is.
--Bill Warbis

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
I want to know what he means by documentation.  I want to know if he has something more than sworn afidavits and newspaper clippings.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2004, 09:25:00 PM »
Being convicted of his crimes is documented.  The evidence was presented and was sentenced to prison...beyond a reasonable doubt.  

I agree with the request to see documentation outside of sworn affidavits and bullshit news articles.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »
On 2004-03-28 18:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Being convicted of his crimes is documented.  The evidence was presented and was sentenced to prison...beyond a reasonable doubt.  

I agree with the request to see documentation outside of sworn affidavits and bullshit news articles.     "

WHO was sentenced to prison?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2004, 01:55:00 AM »
Charlie Manson

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2004, 08:48:00 AM »
I was not asking Frank about Charlie Manson.  I was asking him about the documentation on the "teen help" industry.  The codumentation on abuse.  I was asking what he means by documentation.  Does he mean news paper articles and sworn affidavits or does he mean he has something more.  

Stay focussed the question had nothing to do with Manson.  Evidently there was eough evidense to convict Manson, like dead bodies and his connection with those who commited the murders.  If there is enough evidence to convict those in the "teen help" industry then why are they not being charged?  Is it because there is really no documentation other than news articles and sworn afidavits by those who have a history of changing their stories everytime they think it better fits their agenda.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2004, 08:50:00 AM »
codumentation  =  documentation

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »
Both PURE and WWASP are great orgs. They help kids get off drugs!!! Now can't we all just get along?  :lol: