Author Topic: What Quality Care Looks Like  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
What Quality Care Looks Like
« on: June 02, 2007, 01:39:01 PM »
Program Parents often try to shrug us other parents off by saying we don't know and saying we're radical extremists who think all care is bad.

I've said, over and over again, that as a woman with bipolar disorder, with a child with bipolar disorder, and a lot of people in our family with it and bipolar-spectrum problems, that quality care is the bottom line.

Well, unfortunately I am now in a position to elaborate.

I have Katie's permission to tell the following:

A couple of weeks ago, we had to hospitalize Katie because she needed it. I'll give you no details except to say that I would have needed to be hospitalized, and would have been hospitalized, in the same situation. I'm retaining the details for her privacy.

Now we come to James and I putting our actions where our mouths have been.

First, we called a friend whose friend is an EMT to make sure that Katie wouldn't be sent from the ER to Georgia Regional Medical (you've heard about them in the news). Then we called Katie's pdoc to say we were having to take her to the ER and he said, "Why don't you just take her to Ridgeview?" Then he called ahead for us.

This is what quality care looks like.

We get there and there are no walls or gates or anything, but there are signs and arrows directing visitors to various different buildings, one of which is for admissions.

Immediately, it is obvious that this facility has the ability to serve pediatrics up through all of adulthood--not just eighteen to twenty-low-something. Yes, this is the facility I would be hospitalized in if it were me instead of her.

Okay, so we go in and the buildings are nice, the furnishings are nice, the staff are professional, as we go through the admit procedure. They then tell us that they do have a bed for her, and walk us down to the cottage for kids and teens.

The grounds are green, the plants are lush, there is a lot of artwork on the walls. The doors are locked, and there are signs on the doors to keep them that way. We pass the dining hall on the way. It's also nice.

We pass a coke machine on the sidewalk between the dining hall and the cottage.

In the cottage, we check her in in the day room in front of the nurses station. The day room has posters and pictures on the walls. The carpet is nice. Everything is in good repair. Colorful flower decorations hang from the ceilings. The center area has two big square areas of plants surrounded by benches, like you'd see in a mall. The tables have chessboards printed on them. Then there are couches, comfy chairs, and low tables on both sides, with a TV in the corner. We're showed which side of the dayroom is the boys' side, and which the girls' side, and told boys and girls can't talk to each other outside of group. (Yes, boys can talk to all the boys and girls can talk to all the girls from day one--these adults are sane, not Programmies.) There's a water fountain along the wall.

The facility does have kids with drug abuse problems, too. Thing is, they've got a substance abuse track, a mental illness track, and a dual track. One of the things they say filling out forms, "Since she's not here for substance abuse, we won't need to sign her up for twelve step...." It's immediately obvious the tracks really are different.

There's a kid rolled over sleeping in the shadowy area of the dayroom away from the lights of the nurses station, but still in view. The kid's on a mattress, curled up under clean white sheets. It's as dim as they can get it for the kid and still be able to see him clearly. They tell us that Katie will be sleeping the same tonight, because that's how the kids sleep on thirty minute checks, and they all come in that way. If they can (if she doesn't try to hurt herself or someone else), they'll get her in a room in the morning.

I see "level system" and my blood pressure jumps through the roof. I start asking very tough questions. They do not react like I'm a bad parent. They're taken aback, but they answer all my questions. They've got level one, level two, and Maximum Observation. Everybody comes in on level one, except that that first night they do have you sleep in the day room and watch you to make sure you're okay.

M.O. means you sleep in the dayroom, don't get your shoelaces, are on thirty-minute checks--it's basically suicide watch, but they obviously, visibly, do it as gently as they can.

Level one means you get to have two dollars for the machines on movie nights.

Level two means you get four dollars on movie nights and get dessert at dinner.

You don't have to be on level two to get discharged from inpatient. It turns out that level two is almost a consolation prize for kids who have to be inpatient longer than usual.

We're told kids are usually inpatient from three to five days. The facility also has an Intensive Outpatient program and a day hospitalization program--more on these later. Despite how few days kids stay, obviously the place serves people with serious, ongoing needs. Again, that's people of all ages, we're just in the child and adolescent cottage.

We get the schedule. Weekends we get to visit from 3:30 to 5pm, T-Th it's an hour in the evenings---6 to 7, iirc. She gets a five minute call home twice a day--morning and evening--but she has to sign up on a sheet each day for them to know she wants the evening call.

They have a policy that if the kid excessively nags the parents to go home, they'll stop the call. I tell them we're grown-ups and can deal with any nagging just fine, we don't want her calls cut off for any reason. They're okay with this.

We can also bring any snacks/soft drinks she wants for her when we visit, we just have to take the uneaten portions when we leave. There are snack and drink machines in the big group room in case we forget something. My concerns about that level two dessert go out the window.

She'll have to do her own laundry and make her own bed. They have laundry machines, and basic courtesy rules about not handling other kids' laundry. They give us a full list of toiletries she can and can't have, and what other grooming stuff we can bring that she'll have to check out of the closet to use. This includes the special laundry detergent we bring because she's allergic--again, it's no problem that she needs this.

They look at us weird when we ask how many changes of clothes she can have. "Uh...as many as you want to bring?" We can also bring books, and a radio with headphones for daily quiet time in their rooms. They can also check out card decks or board games from the closet to play with their roommate at quiet time, if they want. Oh--level twos can have parents bring an approved musical instrument to check out for their room at quiet time. Okaaaaay. Whatever. Again, I get the impression that level two is a consolation prize to cheer up kids who have to stay for longer than some of the kids they see around them.

Katie later tells us everybody seems to be on level one. However, she also tells us what she had to eat at each meal, because it turns out the chow is great. Her biggest disappointment is that we got there a week before they open the pool, and that it's hard to draw kids out to play a group basketball game or even one on one at gym time.

She and the other kids get peeved on behalf of the poor kids whose parents don't visit--which is very few of the kids.

We meet her roommate and roommate's parents when we visit. Katie, a bit of an extrovert, also introduces us to other girls whose parents are there with their favorite snacks, etc. She's torn--she hates being away from home, but she doesn't want to leave because the food is good, the kids are nice, she wants to stay until the pool opens, etc.

Oh--the first night the rules they hand us say she can get mail from anybody, but it has to be opened in the presence of staff. I get the impression this is a clear precaution against other kids mailing in contraband--has nothing to do with the letter content. It doesn't even appear to cross their minds to be interested in the content of the kid's incoming mail. Which, it shouldn't, of course--it's just a breath of sanity after seeing how the Programs we bitch about on here mistreat kids.

We tell them we have no behavioral concerns, that she's only there to be safe while getting restabilized on medication. They actually listen. We get a call the next morning from the psychiatrist who examined her, telling us what he sees, what he wants to do, and asking if the medication changes he proposes are okay with us. Oh, yeah--when we checked her in, there was the typical hospital notification that they use non-employee contracting professionals (doctors) and that we'll be billed separately by those professionals for their services. The psychiatrist sees her regularly (every day or every other day) during her stay--we know this because he calls us and tells us how he thinks her condition is progressing.

On the fifth day, when I ask him on his call, "When do you think she can come home?" "Today--you can get her any time after three. We'll want her to go into IOP for awhile so we can keep following her."

IOP = intensive outpatient. It runs from 9-12 each week day. The rest of the time she's home. The facility has other degrees of inpatient and outpatient care, too, depending on the patient's needs, but this is the one we're on. We'd already be off IOP if she hadn't gotten allergic to one of her meds and needed a major med change.

I could go on and on, but the point is it's a nice, sane place and as different from the Programs we criticize on Fornits as night is from day.

The things I tell other parents to look for in quality care? The ones where Program Parents tell me I'm being ridiculously unrealistic in my expectations? Obviously not.

The point is not that Ridgeview had some things that initially concerned me. The point is that in checking them out on the internet I found they had a rolls royce reputation, while being covered by our insurance. There was so much continuous parent contact it would have been impossible to hide bad care. The point is the huge number of green flags on my list that they had and have. The point is that they have no ex-patients out on the internet screaming about mistreatment.

Let me make this clear---Ridgeview clearly had the ability to treat kids who needed it indefinitely. They had the ability to use federal law to get the kids ongoing work in from the kids' own school, keep the kids up with their schoolwork, and keep the kids current for credit and grades and everything with their own schools. They had a day hospitalization program where the kids could live in cottages on the grounds, without being inpatient, and just be in treatment during the day. Sure, they could and would refer patients and parents out to quality care in their home communities. They could also handle treating kids as long as they needed it if that community-based care was unavailable for a particular patient.

They had neither the time nor the inclination to keep the kid in a more restrictive level of care than was absolutely necessary, nor to keep holding onto kids just because insurance was still paying.

Quality Care. What a concept.

My advice to the Program Parents who think no such thing exists is, if you really think your kid is going to end up deadinsaneorinjail without care for the problems Program Parents usually complain about, then move to the metro Atlanta area and use Ridgeview.

There's plenty of other quality care out there, it is NOT in the teen warehousing Programs, but if you can't find it any other place, then come here. We in Atlanta clearly have it.

Again, everyone reading this should note that if I myself got destabilized to the point of needing hospitalization, Ridgeview is where my own family would need to hospitalize me. It's certainly where I would want to be if I had to go inpatient.

Quality Care.

It can be done, it is being done, and for anybody who has garden-variety decent insurance, it's affordable.

I'm not trying to recruit anybody to go there, by the way. There are lots of facilities out there, like Ridgeview, that do mental health and substance abuse care the right way--the right way being by providing quality care as close to the home community as possible.

It's just that since Program Parents have alleged no such place exists, I'm telling you that it clearly does. Parents, if your child gets sick and really does need in-depth care, don't settle for the fourth-rate, dangerous, half-assed "care" provided by the Programs.

If you genuinely need a facility to care for a family member of any age, insist on quality care. It's out there, your loved one deserves it, don't believe the fourth-raters who try to tell you it's impossible just to sucker you in and cheat you.

Julie
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 12:29:37 AM »
Well, from preliminary information (i.e. no nitty gritty, nothing about how day to day therapy goes, what sort of punishment or coercion there is, etc) it seems alright.

Other than stopping calls due to nagging  :roll: and DA LEVEL SYSTEM it seems alright.

But then again all I've seen is a lack of abuse, no specifics about treatment. Not gonna insult you and say you didn't see any but you didn't go into that very much  :P

But, still, wow. It exists! And its not a program!
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 12:56:31 AM »
Treatment was the same as she gets from her own pdoc, just that she was safe from hurting self or others while she got it, and saw the pdoc in Ridgeview much more frequently as they got her out of the immediate crisis and got her safe enough to go outpatient.

Treatment also included a lot of group sessions, supportive not coercive, no punishment at all for what you said in group or for choosing to not say anything at all.

I know the group sessions were supportive, not coercive, because 1) they had family sessions and 2) she talked about the group sessions in IOP annoying her.

The reason she didn't like group was because it was, "...annoying listening to all those other people's problems."

She had told us before when adults have misbehaved towards her and tried to intimidate her not to tell, so we know from experience she would have if that had happened. We also know because obviously she had no hesitation at telling us what things about group pissed her off.

The reason Katie was in group sessions was because even though she herself was in there for medication stabilization and nothing behavioral, the other kids did need it, the staff had a number of kids to manage, and they had to have her somewhere they could observe her to see how her medication was doing for her.

Like I said, they were just peachy fine with her sitting in group and either deciding to talk or just not getting involved. Whatever. They worked on teaching everyone in group coping techniques for dealing with life problems (anger, crying spells, etc.) and Katie found some of those moderately useful.

Still, she was getting the treatment she needed--which was (for her) adjustments to her meds, safety while the changes took effect, observation to see how well the changes were working for her, frequent reviews by pdoc to check her progress.

From the parent session on Friday, 9-3, and the multi-family group, obviously the other kids were getting something they needed out of the whole group thing, and obviously the people running the groups were compassionate and gentle. Just because of Katie's particular needs, group didn't much help her, but it didn't hurt her, either. And it was obviously helpful and supportive for some of the other patients.

Several of the kids had problems I'd had before, or dealt with caring for a kid who had them before. The staff were helping those kids, for those problems, in the same ways I either got helped with or used myself--in a shade tree kind of way--to help the kids who had them. I know I'm not a therapist, but in the case I'm thinking of I (a family friend) was that child's only stopgap option while her family got out of a big other crisis and got her real care.

All that aside, my bottom line is that my impression of the care was that it was competent, ethical, and kind.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 01:02:30 AM »
I wasn't clear.

Separate from Katie's hospitalization, we know she tells if an adult hurts her.

In an entirely separate incident, totally unconnected with the hospital or her mental health care anywhere, an adult did behave badly with her and threaten her and tried to intimidate her not to tell. She told us. We and other relevant adult family friends were big on praising her for having the courage to tell.

This is why we know if someone mistreats her, she'll tell.

I am 100% confident Ridgeview was only supportive, never confrontational or coercive.

Parents were all over the place so much that it would have been impossible to hide any bad care if it had existed there.

Julie

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 02:51:21 AM »
I wouldnt classify that place as a program.  It sounds like a good place for someone to be.  In all honesty though.  You are the a-typical parent.  You genuinely care for your daughters safety and well being.  You choose carefully based on her best interest.  You arent afraid to ask questions and demand answers if they're not being given.  I admit at first I was skeptical, because I know from experience that while facilitys can appear clean and well kept, its only a front.  

However when you started describing the "levels" it was clear that they were not the typical restrictive programmie levels.  It sounded to me that regardless of what "level" the kid was on, he/she could recieve and make phonecalls, and recieve visitation from loved ones.  It also became clear when you stated that the facility would only keep the child as long as the child needed to be kept.  It sounded to me like you had no problem putting your child in and taking your child out when she was ready to be taken home.  That in my mind is not a program.

There are good places like that, but again you are not the typical "program" parent -- if you can even call yourself that.  Most people who are searching for a place to put their kids dont even consider what kind of reputation the place has.  Most of them are so sick of their own offspring that they wished they had used the condom and flushed them down the toilet.  Its THOSE people who are program parents.  Sadly, their kids are caught up in the middle of a money making hellhole which promises nothing but devastation and pain to kids, but "peace of mind" to those who could not care for their offspring.

Kudos to you for finding a place that could care and offer the quality you and your daughter need.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 04:04:18 AM »
Yeah the level system doesn't seem like BM levels, more like medical levels(critical, stable, etc). I'm glad you found help, glad for your daughter that you are nether a sucker or a program-parent. I remember I suggested to some parent that they only send their kid to a real hospital, short term, and only for crisis situations.

They didn't entertain that Idea one bit. It was picked apart and eaten alive, some because they didn't want mental hospital stuck in the kids record others because the hospital wouldn't keep them indefinitely. I'm not knocking their concerns but I did not see the same level of scrutiny applied to the program, strange... It risky telling a parent that good inpatient care exist because they jump off the wagon straight into quackery if you don't give specifics. Hopefully some of the talented here can skim your story and come up with some specific criteria to give to the desperate parent.        

Oh, kudos for finding medicine that actually worked. All of my attempts at medication have been a nightmare, and my attempts to abandon them a living hell.
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline exhausted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 08:49:57 AM »
Bi Polar is different to the 16 yr old teen who does the 'norm' and has a few drinks to experiment

Hospitalisation isn't necesary a bad thing, some people really do need it, you wouldn't not go to the hospital if you broke a leg, well nor should you if the mind is a little broken

it sounds like you're beatin yourself up a little about this...don't....Bi polar is hereditary and there's nothing you can do about that - it's unfortunate, keep going, let us know of any progress

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
We get the schedule. Weekends we get to visit from 3:30 to 5pm, T-Th it's an hour in the evenings---6 to 7, iirc. She gets a five minute call home twice a day--morning and evening--but she has to sign up on a sheet each day for them to know she wants the evening call.

what is iirc?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 10:33:57 AM »
Quality is when they don't smear poop on your face and call it chocolate.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 11:25:18 AM »
Oh hon, I'm so sorry you had to deal with the anxiety of having to hospitalize your child, but I'm glad you found a good place. (granted, the fact that the place utilizes 12 step for substance abuse patients is not so hot. But sigh... 12 step is everywhere.) It can be a roll of the dice sometimes with inpatient care, but at least regulation is stricter, and they don't operate on the premise of breaking down a child. It's geared towards diagnosis and treatment, not guilt and shame. However, your vigilance is entirely warranted. There are a lot of sketchy, miserable, mental health facilities out there. There is also the potential for misplacement issues, where a patient who is a marginal risk to themselves or others is placed in a ward with people suffering from severe levels of low-functionality. However, there are also places like the one you found. And thank fucking god you knew the kinds of questions to ask.

Would you like to know a sad irony? My option to CEDU was a mental health ward in Atlanta. It could have possibly been Ridgeview. I was going to be on the inpatient program and started on a regimen of lithium.

Guess what medication I am taking now? And guess when I started it? Seven months ago.

Quality care comes later for some.  :wink:

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 04:12:14 PM »
Hey Julie can you check this out - A Mum in a similar situation needs guidance
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 10:31:59 PM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
...I remember I suggested to some parent that they only send their kid to a real hospital, short term, and only for crisis situations.

They didn't entertain that Idea one bit. It was picked apart and eaten alive, some because they didn't want mental hospital stuck in the kids record others because the hospital wouldn't keep them indefinitely. I'm not knocking their concerns but I did not see the same level of scrutiny applied to the program, strange... It risky telling a parent that good inpatient care exist because they jump off the wagon straight into quackery if you don't give specifics. Hopefully some of the talented here can skim your story and come up with some specific criteria to give to the desperate parent.

I think the reasoning behind many a parent's opting for certainly a TBS, but perhaps also other Program alternatives, might lie in an aversion to have the label "mental hospital" following a kid around for the rest of their lives.  Perhaps there is also a certain amount of denial going on too.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 10:40:34 PM »
STrange that parent are so skeptical of psychiatric treatment and not forcing to hike around int he sticks or the other crazy shit forced about kids these days. It makes psychiatric hospitals look.. almost.. nv.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 03:04:44 PM »
Quote from: mbnh31782
Most people who are searching for a place to put their kids dont even consider what kind of reputation the place has.  Most of them are so sick of their own offspring that they wished they had used the condom and flushed them down the toilet.  Its THOSE people who are program parents.  Sadly, their kids are caught up in the middle of a money making hellhole which promises nothing but devastation and pain to kids, but "peace of mind" to those who could not care for their offspring.

quote]

Flat not true. I've known and worked with hundreds of parents in several programs, and although I agree this parent is commendably attentive, you're just wrong when you typify all the other parents this way.

Sick of their own offspring? No, they may be sick of the struggle, but most are just heartsick and frightened, missing the healthy kid they used to have, and desperate to find effective help. The peace of mind they're looking for is a pretty straightforward human need to have your kids safe and healthy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 03:14:44 PM »
Program kids blame program parents.
Program kids blame the program owners.
Program kids blame the program staff.
Program parents blame the program.
Program parents blame the staff.
Program parents blame the kids.
Program staff blames program parents.