Author Topic: Fire at Hidden Lake Academy  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Fire at Hidden Lake Academy
« on: May 29, 2007, 03:19:25 PM »
Anyone else been following the fire at Hidden Lake Academy?  This happened a few days ago, in the wee hours of Thursday morning, May 24th.  The academic building burned to the ground, under probably less than accidental circumstances.

http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=21718

Made me think of the Mansion fire in the summer of 1975.  Said to be two disgruntled students.  Crazy actions in response to even greater craziness.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Jesus H Christ

• View Profile
no lyrics
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 04:07:14 PM »
http://theband.hiof.no/articles/this_wh ... viney.html

found when googling:

"hyde fire 75"

Please notify my next of kin
sk and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
And this...  http://ebni.com/byrds/lpdbmh.html

Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde

The album continues with the same space cowboy dichotomy as the single -- it's even reflected in the packaging. The title features "Dr. Byrds" in a futuristic computer-style typeface and "Mr. Hyde" in the style of a "Wanted" poster from the old West. The back cover shows the band landing in the desert in spacesuits, changing into cowboy outfits, and riding off into the sunset.
The electric "Dr. Byrds" sound stars in "This Wheel's on Fire," an unreleased Bob Dylan track with loud, fuzz-toned guitar work from White and nimble bass playing from York. White's remarkable, country-derived arpeggiating builds to a solo that shows why Jimi Hendrix held White in such high regard as a guitarist. A faster, more acoustic version of "Wheel" is appended to the 1997 reissue as a bonus track. It's a revealing snapshot of White's journey from country picker to the heavy rock guitarist featured on the LP version of the song...

--------------------------

I doubt the Hyde fire is Googleable, perhaps bringing you back to fornits, but that's about it...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 04:42:28 PM »
Spoke too soon!   :lol:  :lol:

Unfortunately, the full article requires a news clipping subscription, but here is the snippet that they try to entice you with...

The Portsmouth Herald
Wednesday, July 30, 1975

FIRE 'Suspicious' BATH, Maine (AP) FIRE! inspectors were continuing their investigation today into the origins of a predawn blaze which ripped through the main building of an experimental boarding SCHOOL here. FIRE Chief Norman C. Kenney said the blaze at the HYDE SCHOOL Deemed "suspicious." Kenney and state FIRE officials spent the day Tuesday at the scene, and...

link to this page

That link may not work.  When I tried to confirm it, they garbled it on me.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 04:58:52 PM »
link for July 29, 1975
The Portsmouth Herald
Tuesday, July 29, 1975

Fire Damages Bath School Bath, Maine (AP) Fire officials have set dam- age at following a pre-dawn blaze today at The Hyde School, a coeducational ...

link for July 31, 1975
The Portsmouth Herald
Thursday, July 31, 1975

Two Held for Arson BATH, Maine (AP) Arson] charges will be filed in district court today against two HYDE SCHOOL students in connection with a FIRE in the SCHOOL's main building Tuesday, Bath FIRE Chief Norman Kenney said Wednesday. Kenney would indentify the students only as male juveniles. He said the FIRE which swept through the con- verted mans...

*** Above links may be garbled by the Archive in an attempt to get your subscription...

Offline Jesus H Christ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 05:27:12 PM »
There is a prize for naming both the arson suspects
sk and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:28:28 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
And this...  http://ebni.com/byrds/lpdbmh.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_White[/url]

David Greer is great live or recorded.  I have heard Dave credit Clarence and the Kentucky Colonels as major influence.  Dave is a real county picker wearing a nascar cap with out irony to gigs. Not like so of them other new grass guys with names like "Bela" that come from Manhattan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Grier

This wheel shall explode

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
Quote from: ""JoeSoulBro""

One was named Phil...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 10:21:51 AM »

LINK to Dahonega Nugget article HERE[/url]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 10:26:18 AM »
It really does seem as though fires occur during precarious times for these types of "schools"...

Hidden Lake:  Class-Action lawsuit in progress, dwindling enrollment, etc. etc.   ...major fire one night at the Academic building, 1.5 million $ building destroyed...

Hyde:  Dean of Students caught raping a student, potential lawsuit?  ...major fire one night at the Mansion, extensive damages (have no clue how much it was)...

There are major differences, of course.  I'm not trying to make a perfect analogy.  I'm just saying that, for whatever reason, these things tend to happen more during unstable times.  Interesting albeit tenuous correlation to the potential lawsuit, however...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 02:13:26 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

One was named Phil...

His full name was Phil ** Smith. Am I entitled to half the prize?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 02:19:29 AM »

One was named Phil...

Couldn't have been Phil Smith.  Phil Smith did not attend the summer of 1975, he was already entrenched in the school year program the year prior (and probably back further than that).  It was Phil something-else...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 02:38:19 AM »

One was named Phil...

Couldn't have been Phil Smith.  Phil Smith did not attend the summer of 1975, he was already entrenched in the school year program the year prior (and probably back further than that).  It was Phil something-else...

One of the arsonists was named Smith. So, if one was Phil, but not Phil Smith, then the other was Smith, and it was Jamie ** Smith.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 03:14:48 AM »

One was named Phil...

One of the arsonists was named Smith. So, if one was Phil, but not Phil Smith, then the other was Smith, and it was Jamie ** Smith.

HMMmm... I can't honestly say anything one way or the other about the "Smith" part.  You are obviously remembering that more vividly than I am.  However, it was Phil B-something.  The other guy I don't know.

However, the reason I kind of doubt it was Jamie Smith is because I was under the impression that both kids (that set the fire) were sent away somewhere after that blaze of glory, never to return to that great bastion of character development and unique potential.  And Jamie Smith did attend the regular year.  In fact, it is my understanding that both he and Phil (brothers) ceased their involvement with Hyde due to an altercation between Gauld and Sidney Smith (the father) re. publication of one of the son's "story" in what was to become the "Courage to Grow" book.  It may not have been the book, Gauld also used these stories for his newspaper column at the time.  At any rate, Jamie would have had to have been there long enough for him to have written his story, and my guess is that just couldn't have happened in the relatively brief period of the summer session.

My guess really, totally, and I am fully ready to stand correction...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 04:42:59 AM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 03:57:36 AM »

One was named Phil...

HMMmm... I can't honestly say anything one way or the other about the "Smith" part.  You are obviously remembering that more vividly than I am.  However, it was Phil B-something.  The other guy I don't know.

However, the reason I kind of doubt it was Jamie Smith is because I was under the impression that both kids (that set the fire) were sent away somewhere after that blaze of glory, never to return to that great bastion of character development and unique potential.  And Jamie Smith did attend the regular year.  In fact, it is my understanding that both he and Phil (brothers) ceased their involvement with Hyde due to an altercation between Gauld and Sidney Smith (the father) re. publication of one of the son's "story" in what was to become the "Courage to Grow" book.  It may not have been the book, Gauld also used these stories for his newspaper column at the time.  At any rate, Jamie would have had to have been there long enough for him to have been written his story, and my guess is that just couldn't have happened in the relatively brief period of the summer session.

My guess really, totally, and I am fully ready to stand correction...

You've jogged my memory. Phil B (rhymes with hamburger) was one of the arsonists. Hyde agreed not to press charges against the arsonists if their parents had them committed. I recall that Jamie Smith did time in a mental institution prior to Hyde, which is why I confused him with the other arsonist. But indeed Jamie was a student after the fire, so it couldn't have been him. Arsonists and lunatics were my schoolmates because my parents fell for the Hyde character education spiel!