Author Topic: 7 steps ?  (Read 6124 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
7 steps ?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 11:04:07 PM »
Quote from: ""happy to be free""
how 'bout... we admit that our power, human rights, and dignity were taken from us while in straight inc and to this day our power, human rights, and dignity remain Ellusive.. we were forced to be ok with things that were not ok ...to believe things that we knew were wrong...we were forced(and we can all give examples of this force) to go against our conscience.... to doubt the very core of ourselves..... the consequence of this is that now we dont make a move w/o doubt...have a thought w/o doubt...believe a friend or are even able to make one w/o doubt....trust a system w/o serious doubt...we dont know up from down..cant seem to find that inner compass to guide us along b/c it was shattered and everthing to follow suffers...i think i live life in a better place now but then there have been these 'forks in the road' pivitol life affirming or the other choices i am forced to make(usually i allow someone else to make them and that has been even worse b/c we need to learn to trust ourselves again and to forgive ourselves...we were children) ..and i seriously do not know right from wrong...utterly confused and consumed w/ doubt and i end up sabatoging myself and it doesnt seem like something i would do....this is the effect...?????????

Yeah.  Thanks for your post.

I read this book a while back called "Skeletons On the Zahara", bad-ass read BTW, that was about these cats from some New England port town, in about 1825 or so, who shipped out to sea for trade, but were instead wrecked on the notorious North African coast. After a few days in the life- dingy, without fresh water they finally found a break in the cliff wall, where there was a place to go ashore.  They climbed the treacherous cliffs in the rags that they wore and when the capt. and his men reached the top, after having climbed above the sea all day, he saw nothing alive, only the Zahara desert, my friend...

They pressed on and were captured and taken into slavery by bedouin tribesmen.  They were mistreated by their captors who gave them only enough to keep them alive.  They were sun-burned and de-hydrated and suffering from malnutrition.  They went days without food at all, the whole time bein forced to keep up with the camels.  They learned to eat the raw contents of a slaughtered camels belly to stay alive.

This is a true story and if you were here in person I could go into great detail tellin it to you, but since I don't hit the keys as fast as I tell stories, I'll have to cut to it.

The crew had been divided up and sold out to the highest bidders at some inter-tribal gathering.  Some of the crew were lost forever to the desert, never to be seen again, but some remained together and 2 others where-abouts were known to the Capt. who retained his wits.  Capt. Riley hatched a plan to befriend one of the Bedouin alphas.  Riley promised him in scant hopes and outright lies, a ransom for the return for the lives of his men if he would deliver them to some British outpost to the north, in Morocco.  There was some precedence for this, as white, shipwrecked sea-men had been ransomed out of the desert before.

After a few years as slaves of the desert raiders, and bein mistreated and abused the entire time, Rileys' plan came to fruition.  I forget the exact number, but through sheer will and superior determination Riley delivered the survivors of his crew, with the help of the Bedouin alpha, who stood his ground on Rileys' bold words, through at least a couple 'a' uncertain moments, that held their lives in the balance, to The British ambassador in Morocco.(pardon the run-on there, if you would). I think about 6 of the original 13 survived.

The survivors were all traumatized by their experience.  Upon arrival at the British office, the men were nearly dead.  averaging about 100 lbs underweight, with all manner of terrible skin conditions, suffering terribly.

Eventually they were returned to America.  Capt. Riley went on to write a book about his ordeal,and became famous, but the men he saved did not fare so well once home.  They could not return to normal life.  They had been through a door that could not be closed.  They couldn't pretend they didn't know...

I have another story about 6 Irish rebels who escaped from a British prison in Australia, after 9 years of captivity, which they began serving in  1867.  They were sprung by the Clan Na Gael, who hired a whaling ship for the job.  It was a great escape, full of heart and courage, but when the men got home, they were unable to fall back in. The Capt of the ship did well, and the man who actually broke the kids out became a hero, but the ones who had been prisoners themselves became isolated and mostly died pre-maturely.  They couldn't pretend they didn't know...and neither can we.

I think it's somethin like that...

God is in you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
7 steps ?
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 12:01:34 AM »
Quote from: ""85 Day Jerk""
1. Admit to god, myself and others that I am powerless over drugs,
    exept when and where to do so would injure myself or others.

2. Work to establish a conscious contact with god as I understand
     him and seek to strengthen myself in all my daily affairs either
     married or single.

3.  Make direct amends to such persons whenever possible unless
     otherwise directed by my attorney.

4.  Make a searching and fearless Moral Inventory of myself daily
     and keep it personal.

5.  Strive to improve myself and my knowlege of drugs everyday
     searching for better ways to redeem my stamps and help others.

6.  Apologize to those I have trespassed against and surrender
     nothing to those who have trespassed against me.

7.  Having recieved the gift of Obediance,  I will practice these principles in all my daily affairs, and hold the door open for those I can help.

:rofl:  :o  :lol:  8-) :smokin::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
7 steps ?
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 05:56:07 AM »
And yet as far back as the history of the world goes, there are stories of people who have been tortured and mistreated, held captive. You name it and it's been done at some point in time all over the world. Men, women, children, no one escaped these horrible experiences.

But not all of the people who had these horrific events happen to them were unable to return to their previous lives, or the world they once knew. Many went on to have a life that celebrated their survival, filled with the knowledge that that had been stronger than those that abused them.

What makes one person never able to fully recover from their experience an another somehow able to move through it and continue on in a life that has love and happiness?

Offline Fire Swamp

• View Profile
7 steps ?
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2007, 08:11:35 AM »
What makes one person never able to fully recover from their experience an another somehow able to move through it and continue on in a life that has love and happiness?

Drugs...lots and lots of drugs...

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
7 steps ?
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 08:16:03 AM »
Let's have a freaking song........

I am straight hear me roar as I'm running for the door and the 5th phasers spread me across the land.........

• View Profile
7 steps ?
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 05:01:13 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
And yet as far back as the history of the world goes, there are stories of people who have been tortured and mistreated, held captive. You name it and it's been done at some point in time all over the world. Men, women, children, no one escaped these horrible experiences.

But not all of the people who had these horrific events happen to them were unable to return to their previous lives, or the world they once knew. Many went on to have a life that celebrated their survival, filled with the knowledge that that had been stronger than those that abused them.

Yes. Everyone is different. That is the basis of evolutionary theory.  Right ??  People are stronger or weaker(who sometimes masquerade as each other) under the same conditions.  The most subtle of variables can determine results. Survival of the fittest.  Its a brutal world.

Love, yes.  Happiness I don' recognize no more.  And I mean that as in  don't recognize it's authority over me.  Happiness is irrelevant.  The less I pursue happiness the better off and merrier for it, I be.   :wink:  ::hatter::  ::alieneyesa::  ::bandit::  :skull:  ::dove::
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
7 steps ?
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2007, 07:58:51 PM »
thanks 'starry' for the true survivor tales... you wrote 'they went through a door that cannot be closed'....so true.........

Offline flygirl

• View Profile
7 steps ?
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2007, 12:14:55 AM »
Quote from: ""starry-eyed pirate""
Quote from: ""Guest""

Yes. Everyone is different. That is the basis of evolutionary theory.  Right ??  People are stronger or weaker(who sometimes masquerade as each other) under the same conditions.  The most subtle of variables can determine results. Survival of the fittest.  Its a brutal world.

Love, yes.  Happiness I don' recognize no more.  And I mean that as in  don't recognize it's authority over me.  Happiness is irrelevant.  The less I pursue happiness the better off and merrier for it, I be.   :wink:  ::hatter::  ::alieneyesa::  ::bandit::  :skull:  ::dove::
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 01:20:53 AM by Guest »

• View Profile
7 steps ?
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2007, 03:14:47 AM »
Yes, Flygirl it is irrelevant to me.  

What I mean to say, is that I used to worry quite a bit about my happiness, you know, always comparing myself to some highly desired, abstracted, ideal state of happiness.  I was miserable and unhappy due to my desire for it.  One day, over 10 years ago now, I realized happiness had trapped me in a perpetual state of misery.  I completely and utterly dropped the word from my vocabulary, as I had also done with the word "hate".  The result is that I live my life without questioning whether I am happy or not, and I am not bein devoured by hatred from the inside out.  I just don't really think about it anymore and really I am so much the happier for it.  Happiness should not be persued for it's own sake, and I know I disagree with the Dali Llama on that, but oh well, from my own experience happiness is the result of taking responsibility and livin well.  Naturally then, if you are concerned with your happiness, as some state of being, which you must attain for it's own sake, then you are most likely unhappy.  

And Ohhhh, girl, ... with words they try ta jail ya!

Always nice to read you flygirl.  Be well.