Author Topic: Death of Teenager in Mexico  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Death of Teenager in Mexico
« on: May 02, 2003, 11:53:00 AM »
There is some talk of a death of a teenager in a program in Mexico on the strugglingteenhelp.com website forum.  Is this true and if so, what is the name of the program and when did this happen?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 02:46:00 PM »
I was unable to find anything on a death in Mexico. Is this still up on that site? Considering how Lon, the owner of Struggling teens biggest concern is satisfying his advertisers who own these programs, it wouldn't surprise me if it was deleted. That forum is full of censorship.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 09:24:00 PM »
This wasn't a recent thing.
I think, it was at WWASPS' High Impact, which was part of the Casa by the Sea Program. High Impact was shut down, and wwasp has sence tried to distance themselves from it.
But the Dundee program in Costa Rica is building its twin, and it might even be open by now.
So, I fear its just a matter of time before a similar headline is in the papers again.
I don't have any further details on the high impact death.
Maybe someone else will.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 10:34:00 PM »
Well, does anyone know if the kid was a boy or girl and the cause of death?  There must be some other teens that were there at the time that can shed some light on whether this story is true or not.  What about the mexican newspapers?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »
As to the High Impact death - heres the best I can figure from what I've learned.
The death didn't take place at the Casa High Impact.
There was however, a death in a similar program compound - and High Impact was closed due to this.
There has been some confusion due to the haste in which it was necessary to compose letters of warning to child welfare officials in Costa Rica. It wasn't intentional - but was worded in such a way as to lead to this confusion.
I myself felt sure I had read an account of this elsewhere -but have been told I have confused it in my brain with this occurrence in the sister program.
So, there has been some misinformation I am responsible for, and I apologies.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2003, 01:25:00 PM »
What documentation does the owner of the strugglingteenhelp.com website have to substantiate their claim that a child died at a program in Mexico?  That's where this allegation is published (not the Woodbury Reports Struggling Teen website).  Can somebody please straighten this out with some hard facts to collaborate whether a teen died in a program in Mexico and if so, when and how did the child die?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2003, 07:32:00 PM »
I am responsable for the post on STH.
Please see the above reply for my explanation for the misunderstanding.
The letter posted on STH was sent to a child welfair agency in Costa Rica, stating concerns about a program there, and a walled 'high impact' type of addition to this program.
The letter was written in haste, as there was some urgency to the situation, and this one part wasn't clearly stated.
It dose read as if the death took place in Mexico at Casa, but that wasn't what was ment to be conveid.
Again, read the above responce.
I hope this now clears things up.

Offline kel78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 05:30:00 PM »
I read an article about this just yesterday actually in an article posted in the Sun-Sentinel (www.sun-sentinel.com) however I can't seem to find it right now.  I'm trying to get in contact with the One that posted that to me, so that I can give you the entire link, I'll edit this post when I find it.  Apparently the boy was either 17 or 18 and from Sacramento, CA.  Casa by the Sea is in Mexico, and the death occurred there.  I wish I could remember the exact details, but anyway, I'll post the corrected link when I find it.  I've done a search on the Sun-Sentinel website, but the story I'm looking for doesn't come back.  

*UPDATED* This is the link to the Sun-Sentinel article about this situation.  http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... -caribbean  Thanks for giving a little time to find this out.

[ This Message was edited by: kel78 on 2003-05-22 06:12 ]
like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing.
- Agatha Christie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »
When there is a death within these programs the whole country should know. Its too bad that its so difficult to find out this information. END CENSORSHIP!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2003, 02:27:00 PM »
Kel -
I tried the link and it didn't bring anything up.
Try this - See if you can find it again, please, and then do a copy and paste, and post it.
Sometimes the articals are archived and you can't get them anymore from the ogigional link.
I'd like to read it.
Thanks KarenZ

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2003, 03:54:00 PM »
The whole links in that previous post, but not all of it was underlined. Heres the whole links:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... -caribbean

Offline kel78

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2003, 04:43:00 PM »
Thanks so much for fixing that link, I apologize, I was copying and pasting from an offline in Yahoo to the message board.  Next time I'll open both my eyes and double check.

:roll:
like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing.
- Agatha Christie

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2003, 12:26:00 PM »
the actual article is a special from the new york times to the sun sentinel.  since the original May 10 article there has been a total meltdown of a sister program located in costa rica.  This has been covered extensively by the times reporter as well as local costa rican media between May 22 and May 27.  (see for example, "amcostarica" and "ticotimes"  as well as ordinary google search seeking postings of the last 7 days or so on the topic of "dundee ranch".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 12:41:00 PM »
The only death ever reported was that of a girl in Jamaica, not Mexico.  Get your facts straight!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 01:17:00 PM »
No, that's just the only one you knew about.