Author Topic: AARC at Attendence Center  (Read 1784 times)

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
AARC at Attendence Center
« on: May 04, 2007, 02:40:33 PM »
I met a young fellow the other day who had been to the Attendence Center for young offenders in Calgary. This boy had been in trouble for an assault.  The subject of AARC came up becaue his two friends had been put in AARC, and his mother wanted to send him.  He was genuinely afraid, not because he wanted to "protect his addiction", as the fake doctor, dodgeball expert and all around perverted swindler would say.  I told him that I was trying to get AARC closed and the Wiz barred from any further molestations in an official capacity.  The boy then asked if I knew "Doug", who was evangelizing on behalf of All About Receiving Cash in the Attenence Center.  He said Doug was fat and claimed to be a career criminal.  Is that you David "Pablo Escobar" Grant?
And what is anybody from SynanonCalgary doing around vulnerable children in a court-ordered situation?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Accountability
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:20:53 PM »
It's interesting the lack of accountability that will often emerge, not only with government organizations but also with the plethora of volunteer organizations that exist when dealing with ostensibly well-meaning institutions.  It becomes somewhat more difficult to monitor and hold individuals to account when dealing with the confidentiality of individuals in the system.  Who runs these programs?  How are they organized?  How many volunteers do they have? how are the volunteers checked out?

I once saw a matter in youth court where a 14 year old boy was going to be released into the care of an adult instead of into custody.  Fortunately, before that could happen someone identified the adult as a pedophile with a string of convictions and it was prevented.  But there continue to be weaknesses in the system.

If you google Attendance Centres Calgary, you will see that the John Howard Society runs the program along with other organizations such as Mount Royal College.  Certainly, these are  worthy institutions.  At the same time they can be like the government -- targets for con-artists.  And unless someone is able to draw AARC's murky underbelly to their attention  in a credible manner, I fear they will continue to view  AARC as a possible source of a positive influence for Young Offenders in these diversion programs.

I would like to suggest that the John Howard Society is probably a very good organization to approach with our complaints.  They do, after all do a lot to support prisoners upon their release into the community, and I would suggest would be the most open to hear complaints about abuses by AARC or any organization out there.  I think as a start, this could be a benefit.

By the way, when it comes to identifying volunteers, on the web,  JHS in Edmonton has much more accessible information than Calgary JHS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »