Author Topic: three springs of NC  (Read 3646 times)

Offline captv

• View Profile
three springs of NC
« on: May 02, 2007, 10:06:28 PM »
Hello,

I am a caring parent in need of resources for my child, a early teen..

He has been diagnosed with mental issues and offered options to treatment, all of which have failed over the last three years.

We are at a crossroads and have been directed toward three spring of  NC in pittsboro NC. as a source to assist us and our child in turning around on the path he has taken.

Does anyone out there have any input into the efficacy of their programs.

sucess stories or stories of failure to help the kids in the program

We have been completely freaked out by the postings on this forum as well as the information out there in general about these types of programs but nothing negaitive on three springs seems to exist in news searches or in the county court house.....

anyone with info?

thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
three springs of NC
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 10:15:38 PM »
This JW's mom?
am the metal pig.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
three springs of NC
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 10:31:07 PM »
And in case you aren't JW's mom then let me point out the problems you will be facing.

You said he was diagnosed with a mental illness?

Nothing about a TBS is designed to deal with kids with mental illnesses. I think you need to accept the fact that your son is going to struggle his entire life, and start considering more long term solutions rather than short term bandaids like TBS programs. Short term bandaids that ultimately end up being more harmful than good.

Another thing..

Take your son to another head shrinker. One that doesn't know him, and don't bring any medical records. You might be surprised with the diagnosis the new head shrinker provides.

2nd opinion is always a good bet.
am the metal pig.

Offline mbnh31782

• View Profile
    • http://www.perverted-justice.com
three springs of NC
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 11:22:11 PM »
i... am really unsure where to start... you should do a search of these forums to turn up 3 springs threads....

Offline captv

• View Profile
diagnosis
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:50:30 AM »
ok,

I have a child that was abused, neglected and had the pleasure of riding through 11 apartments, 8 different men and 15 different jobs over a 5 year period while visiting with his mom - who was diagnosed with manic depression and other unsundry issues.

The diagnosis and corrective action/therpy from a psychiatric and psycological professions over the years have been the same . . .and none have worked.

I have brought my family through 3 years of intensive home and out patient therapy to no avail . . . . so the decision at this point is made..

What I am trying to find is the best fit.

As for the remark that they have no mental illness handling capability, they seem to have a staff that would not support the information provided, on staff therapist with weekly or higher visits and pshciatric access on site if needed......

What I am trying to find out is - is there one of these programs that actually work . . . . . .

I short . . . . . if you do not have DIRECT KNOWLEDGE of this program or one of their facilities DIRECTLY connected with Three Springs - - do not bother to answer my post.

I would also be interested in places that do offer similar programs that may work the same as or bettter than what three springs has to offer.

Again . . .I am trying to find a last ditch source before my son ends up in juvenile hall . . . .a far worse alternative than even the worse of these treatment places.

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
three springs of NC
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 09:54:57 AM »
Both mnbh and myself are former Three Springs employees.

Your child at best will be able to see the onsite therapist maybe once a month. Perhaps for 20 minutes at a time. Mostly they see the pyschologist to ascertain if the child's medication needs to be adjusted. Abuse is handled in group, and under certain circumstances in a speciality group. I can't speak for North Carolina, but in the facility I was employed this group for abuse issues was moderated by two people with no actual formal training.

Substance abuse issues will be handled with a AA/NA style of treatment. At PRVB's it proved to be very unsuccessful given the rate of relapses amongst graduates of the program.

Groups are supervised by a person with 100 hours of training and any sort of Bachelor's degree. Child care experience is considered a bonus. The 100 hours of training is practically useless and it pays scant attention to key points like verbal de-escalation, group process, and maintaining standards of the program. Most counselors that came to my group from training were useless until I trained them myself. That is if they stayed.

Your child who is probably suffering from all sorts of abandonment issues is going all his worst fears of you abandoning him confirmed. In your child's mind he is expecting you to do more of the same that has happened to him. I strongly suggest you avoid a TBS program as his psychological needs will not be addressed in any shape way or form. He will be broken down, shuffled around, and have himself remade into a program drone. That fire he has in his eyes is going to be extinguished and he will come back to you a barren husk of humanity.

If you think this is absurd ranting I promise you it isn't. I know it is true because I helped the process.

Another thing this if fornits. If you don't like who responds to your questions take them elsewhere. I moderate this specific board with the expectation that all are welcome to participate with the exception of one person, The moron known as the Who, providing they contribute in an appropriate manner.

I make the decisions here as to what is appropriate.

If that is to much for you then take a few minutes to think about it. Your frustrations regarding it will be nothing compared to the frustrations you are going to heap on your kid.
am the metal pig.

Offline captv

• View Profile
so where is it different
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 09:37:19 PM »
Three Springs Waygookin

so...where do they have a program that is worth a hoot and will actually address his issues.....

We have had him evaluated over the years and the problems are not going away, they are getting worse and the family relationship damage is growing exponentially...by the day

It is all well and good but . . . if it was YOUR kid in therapy for over 8 years...tried different approaches and different doctors . .
where do you go to help them to drink from the water  you have led them to that they refuse to drink from themselves.

What resources would you tap into to help your child be able to function like every other kid out there??

thanks

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
three springs of NC
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 05:33:04 AM »
Would a doctor give you a diagnosis over the phone based on a few conversations?

Of course not.

I'm no medical professional, but I do know what programs are like beings that I worked in two of them. I haven't the faintest clue what will work for your child, but I'm pretty certain what won't work.

My wild assed guess says your kid's problems aren't going to go away.

Time
Patience
and love

He may have been in therapy for 8 years, but during that time wasn't he having man after man bouncing him around like a beach ball for entertainment?

I hate to tell you this but there is no easy answer for this sort of problem. No facility is going to help your son learn to trust people again.

Have you considered why he acts the way he does?

I think you may need to consider that sending him away may well do more harm than trying to provide a stable home for him. Yes it might be a few years of hell, but at least you won't be the next in a long chain of losers that has shat all of your child. Kid's remember things like that.

I know you are scared of your son ending up in a detention center, but try to remember that a detention center for the most part runs the same sort of mind twisting program that you would end up paying for on your own. Though at least in the case of a detention center you child will have some sort of legal representation and protection.

The same can't be said for programs.

In programs I've witnessed abuse against residents.

I've dealt with residents abusing each other.

Residents have been sexually abused by staff and each other.

Acts of violence at times was common place.

Though I think you ought to know that I'm antiprogram all the way down the line. If you are hoping for a referral you're barking up the wrong tree. Even if I knew of a good place I wouldn't publically or privately suggest it.

I have my scruples and I like to be able to sleep at night.
am the metal pig.