Author Topic: Academy at Swift River - Split from TTI  (Read 21968 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Academy at Swift River - Split from TTI
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 05:11:20 PM »
Quote from: ""TheWho""
We all know these places don't resemble high schools

We do?

For now, I'll have to go with the reports of attendees and a former staff member that there is indeed no phone to report abuse rather than your speculation about the matter.

The staff member may be right, he knows more than I do if he worked there.

I didn’t see where I was speculating, just passing along what I know.  I don’t see a problem with their set up, personally, it seems to work well for the kids and the parents.  I think what many kids would like is more phone time not privacy, is the feed back I have heard.  If they feel they are being unfairly treated they should tell their parents when they talk to them.

If someone feels this falls short of a standard it should be brought to someone’s attention to get it clarified, so they can be comfortable with it, I don’t see this as a big deal to resolve.

OK, this is what I wanted to know and for you to enumerate.  Even if it's illegal to treat children this way, it's fine with you.  If you feel otherwise, then who better to resolve it than you?  You are the one that has hooks in ASR - ask them for a response and post the abuse hotline number if they have one.  "I know it's illegal, but I won't lift a finger to get it resolved or up to code"?  What happened to caring about the kids' legal rights?

Once more, it's the law that any child in treatment must have access to a free phone to report abuse.  You are saying it's OK with you and you condone (or at least won't bother to look into it) that the children aren't being treated in accordance with the law. Thank you at least for admitting it to us.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 05:15:18 PM »
Quote from: ""Dysfunction Junction""
We all know these places don't resemble high schools

We do?

For now, I'll have to go with the reports of attendees and a former staff member that there is indeed no phone to report abuse rather than your speculation about the matter.

The staff member may be right, he knows more than I do if he worked there.

I didn’t see where I was speculating, just passing along what I know.  I don’t see a problem with their set up, personally, it seems to work well for the kids and the parents.  I think what many kids would like is more phone time not privacy, is the feed back I have heard.  If they feel they are being unfairly treated they should tell their parents when they talk to them.

If someone feels this falls short of a standard it should be brought to someone’s attention to get it clarified, so they can be comfortable with it, I don’t see this as a big deal to resolve.

OK, this is what I wanted to know and for you to enumerate.  Even if it's illegal to treat children this way, it's fine with you.  If you feel otherwise, then who better to resolve it than you?  You are the one that has hooks in ASR - ask them for a response and post the abuse hotline number if they have one.  "I know it's illegal, but I won't lift a finger to get it resolved or up to code"?  What happened to caring about the kids' legal rights?

They're property.

Once more, it's the law that any child in treatment must have access to a free phone to report abuse.  You are saying it's OK with you and you condone (or at least won't bother to look into it) that the children aren't being treated in accordance with the law. Thank you at least for admitting it to us.

You're fighting a losing battle.  This is a parent who will always find another excuse, no matter how many you blow away.  He needs to believe.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 05:15:26 PM »
Hmm... Never alone communicating with parents. Daughter believes ASR not to be abusive (don't leave until you believe that...). Hey... A girl wrote a book about PV claiming it wasn't abusive... When you read what she went through in detail... it was abuse. but abuse is one of those thigns that was redefined... Where are the counterpoints here?

Oh it does not matter if there are mountains of evidence against ASR or not. The school is young. The milieu control is in place (that means communications) as well as other factors which make it easy to contain abuse if it did exist.

So you want to really know what happened. Go read some of what other survivors of ASR had to say, and ask your daughter about those specific allegations. My guess is you'd be surprised at what she doesn't consider abuse.

Very suspicious of these places I can see.  It is for good reason, I am sure.  But not all experiences need to be the same.
 Look at it this way:
Abuse can be defined and it is also relative.  Restraining a child in a car seat for 4 hours will be criminal in 100 years, now we call it safety and you get fined if they are not restrained.  Go figure………

Now we count calories and we need to be within a certain range or it is abusive, which is great, I agree with it.  But we are the most over weight country in the world (maybe not, I am guessing) so these numbers may change, lets not jump and put an abuse label on every parameter that defines comfort.

When I was young we didn’t have access to phones, period, abuse or no abuse.   Now restricting access to a phone seems to be a problem for some people, next each person will need to be connected 24/7, which is great we can accommodate that.  We just need to adjust and grow as these things get redefined.

Sorry… going on again… guess I don’t feel we need to define every parameter of our lives so closely.  There are reasons for some of the phone restrictions so there should be some latitude given in some circumstances.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 05:29:14 PM »
Once more, it's the law that any child in treatment must have access to a free phone to report abuse. You are saying it's OK with you and you condone (or at least won't bother to look into it) that the children aren't being treated in accordance with the law. Thank you at least for admitting it to us.

Maybe they do!  Maybe they have night staff people with cell phones or a designated counselor that they report problems to who carries a phone at all times.  The law may have been written before the use of cell phones…lets not be too quick to condemn.  I have been there I know there are offices and phones everywhere if kids needed help.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 05:29:23 PM »
You're fighting a losing battle. This is a parent who will always find another excuse, no matter how many you blow away. He needs to believe.

I know what you're saying.  I'm not fighting with him.  I just wanted him to put it in writing that he knows that ASR is acting illegally and doesn't care, or that he's unsure if ASR is acting illegally and cares so little about the kids he claims to want to help that he won't check and verify, even though he has ready contacts that can answer the question in one quick call or email (but since I don't trust him to report accurately, all I want is the number to the abuse hotline so I can verify with the Commonwealth).

It's not like I don't know where this is going; you see he's already ignored the point completely, said he's fine with the way ASR does things and won't make any effort to insure the kids are being treated in accordance with their lawful rights.

I already know that there is no abuse hotline and the kids can't make private calls to anyone (as reported by a former and pro-ASR staffer in the ASR thread and several former attendees), much less the watchdogs.  I simply wanted to illustrate that The Who cares not one iota if the kids are treated illegally and stripped of their human and constitutional rights.  The point has been made with extreme clarity:  Illegal or not, he condones it and actively supports it.
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
guess I don’t feel we need to define every parameter of our lives so closely.  

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 05:54:14 PM »
I don't trust him to report accurately

Look you can choose any law out of the book and accuse me because I wont go and check on it for you.
Do your own work.

We were talking about if kids could call home in privacy or not and we established that they can.  So now you want to see if they have 24 hour access to a phone... we need to review the law... does it apply to boarding schools?........ what are the parameters?....do cell phones apply?...

I dont believe they are breaking any laws, because I dont check for you doesnt mean they are guilty.  Tough crowd around here...............

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 05:56:02 PM »
TheWho is an industry plant, or an emotionally disturbed father, take your pick. Either way, it's a waste of time.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 06:06:41 PM »
We were talking about if kids could call home in privacy or not and we established that they can.

and...

there was a counselor present when the kids were calling home

also...

guess I don’t feel we need to define every parameter of our lives so closely

and...

what are the parameters?....do cell phones apply?...

I love the smell of blatant hypocrisy in the morning (or evening, as it were :wink: )...
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 06:59:23 PM »
The counselors were in the room but the kids could talk in private.  I know this because I used this area myself.  Each child has a pivate area to talk from...

Just wanted to clarify,

Thewho

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 07:06:57 PM »
The counselors were in the room but the kids could talk in private

Two mutually exclusive premises here.  Sorry, but it doesn't float...  There's no privacy at ASR anywhere, much less while kids talk to their folks.  Just wanted to clarify...

"Up is down.  Black is white.  Just wanted to clarify." :roll:
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 07:09:50 PM »
Definition: individual(a): concerning one person exclusively; "we all have individual cars"; "each room has a private bath"

So, Who, does your "private bath" have someone in it watching you, too??? :wink:

Turning language upside-down is the program hallmark...
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 07:40:19 PM »
I see how that could be confusing to some people.  I can be a stickler myself sometimes, Let me clarify:

When the kids call home they sit in a partitioned off area, maybe 4 or more at the table, each with their own cubby.  The kids cant hear each other and the counselors cant hear you at a normal speaking voice.

Each person needs to have clothes on or dressed appropriately because there are others in the room.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 07:45:48 PM »
I don't trust him to report accurately

Look you can choose any law out of the book and accuse me because I wont go and check on it for you.
Do your own work.

We were talking about if kids could call home in privacy or not and we established that they can.

Privacy = 4 students and a staff counselor in the room...

This my friends, is called "loading the language"
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 07:46:48 PM »
Once again people, TheWho claims that no kids were  ever abused at ASR. All these facts mean nothing to him.