Author Topic: Academy at Swift River - Split from TTI  (Read 21964 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Academy at Swift River - Split from TTI
« Reply #195 on: April 20, 2007, 02:07:24 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
Quote from: ""TheWho""
That would appear to meet the definition would it not?

We can all sit here and speculate who falls under the definition of "Special Needs".  But the state gets the final say.  Not you or me or ASR.

Yes, they do.

Special Services are any services provided to children with special needs by a private residential school that are special education services similar to those referred to at 603 CMR 18.05(3)(a) and (b); or social, psychological or psychiatric services; or self-help skills or activities of daily living training.

A Child with special needs is a child who, because of a disability consisting of a developmental delay or an emotional, communication, specific learning impairment or combination thereof, is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program. This may include, but not be limited to, a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.

Now we know that ASR claims to teach social/self-help skills and provided psych services and assessments. We also know that they advertise to treat a host of psych disorders from the DSM manual. They claim to specialize in kids with "emotional, communication, specific learning impairment or combination thereof".

What's so hard about understanding this. And NO, the state doesn't come in and test the kids in RTCs to see if they're special needs unless the kid is a resident of the state and it's been requested or required by their IEP.

There is some other reason ASR remains unlicensed and I believe the answer is in the documentation resulting from the negotiation with the attorneys from ASR and EEC. That documentation should be mined from the archives of EEC if we are to really know why EEC backed off. Perhaps ASR threatened to sue them, and without documented evidence, EEC backed off. Not uncommon. We need a parent(s) with recent dealings with ASR to provide documentation to EEC. Anyone reading willing to do that? PM me for details.

I think we agree ASR provides special services to kids.  The sticking point is how the state defines "Special needs".  If we had that piece then we could determine if they are providing special services to "Special needs" students.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 20, 2007, 02:10:42 PM »
We already know.

A Child with special needs is a child who, because of a disability consisting of a developmental delay or an emotional, communication, specific learning impairment or combination thereof, is or would be unable to progress effectively in a regular school program. This may include, but not be limited to, a school age child with special needs as determined by an evaluation conducted pursuant to M.G.L. c. 71B, § 3, and as defined by the Department of Education in 603 CMR 28.00.

Where is the confusion on this coming from?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 20, 2007, 02:24:05 PM »
The sticking point is how the state defines "Special needs".  If we had that piece then we could determine if they are providing special services to "Special needs" students.

The sticking point is, what did ASRs attorneys say to the state to get them to back off. If that is public record, we should have it soon.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 20, 2007, 02:33:16 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""
The sticking point is how the state defines "Special needs".  If we had that piece then we could determine if they are providing special services to "Special needs" students.

The sticking point is, what did ASRs attorneys say to the state to get them to back off. If that is public record, we should have it soon.

Sounds like there is more than one sticking point.  But I would be interested to see what they said too.  What ever it was seemed to satisfy them for the past 7 years, I guess.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 20, 2007, 02:43:21 PM »
Or scare them off enough. You havent addressed hanzo's point.

Just because ASR wants it "Both Ways" don't make it legal. They serve kids with special needs with special services. If they claim that this isn't so then they're running afoul of the law by making group therapy mandatory and using rule exemptions as defined in the regulations I posted.

Nor have you answered my earlier questions.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2007, 09:07:22 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Or scare them off enough. You havent addressed hanzo's point.

Just because ASR wants it "Both Ways" don't make it legal. They serve kids with special needs with special services. If they claim that this isn't so then they're running afoul of the law by making group therapy mandatory and using rule exemptions as defined in the regulations I posted.

Nor have you answered my earlier questions.

Does ASR call it "group therapy" or "emotional growth"/"personal growth"?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)