Author Topic: Straight was a cake walk in comparison.....  (Read 8626 times)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
Straight was a cake walk in comparison.....
« on: January 18, 2002, 09:21:00 PM »
I've been reading up on these boarding schools, and boot camps and I am just amazed at what these kids have to endure.  Straight was nothing in comparison.  But the connection is that these camps and schools operate on all the same principles as Straight, they have just taken them to an incredible extreme.  These places still endure a rather "low-profile" and this is crap. Some of them have been operating for as long as 30 years.  It's time to expose them for what they really are.    

This is the purpose for the new forum that has been set up Under Fornits Forums/ called Troubled Teen Industry.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2002, 10:12:00 PM »
It's about time somebody started looking into this area.  You're a good person for it too,  Kathy. Programs like Straight and abusive wilderness programs offer two types of abuse,  and while some wilderness programs have been tied to physical abuses that make Straight seem like a cakewalk in comparison,  the psychological tortures of thestraights is right up there with them all--in my opinion.  Wes

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2002, 11:58:00 PM »
Wes, Straight was not easy!!  I hope no one misinterprets my earlier post.  Straight was extremely ABUSIVE... both physically AND psychologically!!!! I was only trying to convey just how bad today's boot camps and schools are.  Since this board is specifically geared toward Straight Survivors, I'm sure they already know Straight was abusive and therefore, will be outraged when hearing that it appears that these other programs make Straight look like a day in the park.    This is not to say Straight wasn't all that bad... because... it was pure HELL!   (hope that conveys what I'm trying to say, a little better.)
Kathy

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2002, 11:25:00 AM »
ok, let me retract my statement about being "a cakewalk".... after sleeping on it and digesting all of this information... I have concluded that there are (as Wes said..) 2 types of teen torture.... the West Coast type and the East Coast type.  The are different and yet the same.... And finally, they are equally damaging, they just vary slightly on some of the techniques, yet there are many similarities in their techniques.  I bet that makes everything clear as mud.  :smile:
Kathy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2002, 05:33:00 PM »
I was in jail several times for a few months each time before I was a client at Straight.  Before y'all whine about getting yelled at in a rehab, I suggest spending a few months is a county jail that is over 100 years old and has abusive CO's and lovely fellow "clients".

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2002, 09:59:00 PM »
Nobody is whining about "being yelled at in rehab" -- but I guarantee that these kids in the boot camps today, are tortured far beyond anything you experienced in the county jail.  Read some of the boot camp stories before you start whining about your county jail experiences.
Kathy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2002, 10:44:00 PM »
You need to jsut be quiet, have you ever been in jail while someone on your cell block is murdered?  You sanctimonious ass.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2002, 10:48:00 PM »
"You guarantee"!!!.  On what basis are you so sure?.  And if you would end your practice of cranial rectal insertion, you would realize people go to boot camps to AVOID the jails I am referring to.  Yes, they would willingly put up with the "horrors" of boot camp to avoid jail.  They obviously have friends who have done the boot camp routine, and friends who have done jail time.  Then they make a CHOICE to go to the boot camps.  The judge offers you the boot camp as an option to jail.  Come on Einstein, even you should realize they definitely don't want jail time, hence they take the lesser of two evils.  Your logic is tre' faulty, watch some old Star Trek reruns and pay attention to Mr. Spock and your logic skills may improve.  We will test you again next semester.

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2002, 12:20:00 AM »
Many vicious homicides have occured in these current day boot camps.  Of course each death is usually preceded by several days/weeks/months of torture.  

Sure, many have chosen a boot camp or a rehab over prison or perhaps even over the evil county jail with the misconception that treatment would be much easier than jail.... However, there are many stories of those who had been in jail, who choose various types of "treatment over incarceration" when the opportunity arose, only to find themselves doing anything they could... to get back to jail.

I guess everyone's perceptions are different.  I'm sorry your time in the county jail was so bad.  Not everyone believes jail is worse than being "helped."  Obviously you did and that's ok.  I'm not going to continue to debate who has had it worse.

I'd just like to get the word out to parents or professionals that when they are reaching out to help their troubled teen, sometimes they are sentencing them to death instead; and usually without any due process.
Kathy

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2002, 01:25:00 AM »
What?  Boot camps are worse than doing time?  Can't get back to jail?  You are either the dumbest person on the planet or are just flat out lying to further your misguided viewpoint.  Where does your perfect rehab exist?  Any rehab for minors is too restrictive and bound to be cruel and abusive.  If you want to see an adult rehab you will see that 99% of them are there for pure profit and they make no bones about their motives.  They could give a damn if anyone got clean or not, they've got their money and that is all they care about.  Rehabilitation is a nice word for politicians to toss around for the vapid masses to suck up on their sound bites.  The vast majority of people in rehabs are trying to avoid incarceration, same for boot camps.  I guess you are naive enough to focus on the few whining malcontents who tell their sob stories to the media talking heads.  The "statistics" tossed about for drugs/alcohol and related treatment are simply lies.  If you know anything about statistics delve into sample size, r-squared, cross correlation, etc.  Here is the fact of life, if you want to play you have got to pay.  You don't think anyone should take responsibility for their actions at all.  And christ, if you could not get through Straight in about 12 months without too much confrontation then you were just seeking attention or plain stupid.  Yes, I know all kinds of bullshit went on there, I worked there for a year on staff.  I disliked hated alot of my fellow staff/counselors, a demented high schoolish clique of power tripping, self-absorbed assholes.  Why don't your found your own subtance abuse/behavioral modification/criminal rehabilitation chain of facilities that solves all of the US's problems and show us how it's done.  I have no pity for someone who carjacks a woman and bashes her head in then gets sent to a harsh boot camp where he catches some major shit.  Now he'll whine and say he's being abused.  You want to be a thug and act tough, then you're gonna pay.  If you don't have a drug problem then you won't keep getting busted for drugs (by police or your parents if you are a minor) and won't get placed in a situation like Straight, et al.  That's about the long and short of it.  Lights out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2002, 10:06:00 AM »
Look you freakin Cry baby idiot, If you were Really in Jail, doing "Hardtime", I don't think You would be Bragging about it, sounds to me like you were one of the sissy boys doing alll the bitch crying, and "PUNKING" if you were Really in Jail I am Sure you know what that is Really well, i am sure you had to do it girlyboy!!!!  So quite your freaking Whining. PUSS

On 2002-01-20 19:44:00, Anonymous wrote:
You need to jsut be quiet, have you ever been in jail while someone on your cell block is murdered?  You sanctimonious ass.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2002, 02:00:00 PM »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2002, 02:56:00 AM »
Wow thats a session full of rage if I ever heard it. Shit I have not heard that much emotional outpouring since group in "89". That is some welcome back after 4 weeks in Bermuda. Well now anon. there were some people in Straight who were court ordered who stayed and some who went back to jail. I guess it is a matter of opinion and sorry but physical and personality strength. If you could hog the phone and steal everyones cigs in jail I guess you went back if you got beat up and punked in jail I guess you stayed and if ya didn't know its 50 50 because the fear of the unknown and staff tellin ya you'd be killed can be pretty powerful. Either way it is a toss up. Me I'd take County Jail Time hey you have visits a phone cigs and a set time to get out, better then straight inc but that is my opinion. OPINION... something else you can have in jail but not straight :smile: missed ya!
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2002, 03:33:00 PM »
I knew a guy who chose Raiford over Straight. He was a big guy, too. A linebacker type with a Sergent type father. I don't think it was so much what was done to him in the Program but what the Program expected him to do to others in order to advance. Of course, I don't know the whole story cuz I was just another mushroom in group. I only know the outcome. And he's not the only one.

Most people sent to these bootcamps are not convicted of any crime. There's no due process, no trial, no chance for appeal. For some damned reason, the suicide rate among Program clients is roughly 100 times the national average. I'd be interested to see a comparison to suicide rates among former inmates, I bet it's pretty close.

The salient point here, though, is really not whether prison is worse or better than forced thought reform. As far as DFAF is concerned, the two go hand in hand. Having a prison sentence hanging over one's head is, in their opinion, a necessary element of 'therapy'. Check their propaganda on the right to treatment initiatives and you'll see what I'm saying is true. Don't hold any illusion that the right to (coerced) treatment inits will make things any better. All they'll do is dramatically expand both the amount of funding and bodies herded into the system.

What terrible problem is it that you think the government must somehow solve? "Why, the drug problem" you say? What is that? Before prohibition, there was no black market, no crime, little overdose and little long term medical problems associated with drug use/abuse/addiction. There was no significant corruption, we weren't commiting acts of war (embargo, sanctions, aerial spraying, etc.) against other nations in relation to drug trade. It was all above board business with very little impact on the greater scheme of things, but a great source of propaganda for the temperence movement.

I don't know what you may or may not have done to land yourself in the county tank, but no one should land there simply for choosing to smoke a joint instead of swollow Prozac or for rollin' at a rave instead of dutifully taking their Ritalin from the school nurse. Jail should be reserved for people we're afraid of, not people we're mad at. That these sadistic bastards publicly advocate using the threat of prison to coerce people into adopting their fanatical religious view of (certain unpatentable) drugs is chilling.

Virtually all of the problems now identified as "The Drug Problem" are a direct result of prohibition. If you want to solve these problems, help end prohibition.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2002, 03:38:00 PM »
P.S.

Hi Mike! :smile:
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes