Author Topic: Who on this site has been through AARC?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Who on this site has been through AARC?
« on: April 08, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Hello everyone,

I've noticed a great deal of people on this website have never been through AARC before and perhaps never met Dean Vause before. You guys will never shut down AARC. Every couple of months i come look at this site, its the same stuff. I'm a first time poster so bear with me. Straight was totally different then AARC is. I've been through AARC years ago and visited resently, and some of the information you guys post is just plain not true. I'm curious about this ajax fellow. Whats your deal? Seriously, this issue doesn't effect you. Go do something more useful with your time like saving the rainforest. I'm curious to what some of the veiws on this site; AARC vs. Twelve step programs. AARC is a great treatment centre for addicted youth, one of the best, that is if you are an addicted youth. Sometimes parents put their kids in AARC to soon or when they are just heavy users & not addicts. If you really want to get your point across, quit using conspiricy theories and what you "heard." Use experience. I don't agree with every little detail of AARC, but on a whole, the centre & the people that work there have helped me build a life worth living, in & out of treatment, that i couldn't have done on my own.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 12:01:39 PM »
I live with an AARC graduate so it does affect me. Once again we have an AARC defender telling lies.  If you didn't have a problem at AARC, why do you look at this forum every few months? Please let us know when you can show me something that is a theory and not a fact.  Fact of the day: kids assaulted in "recovery homes" are put on zero club until they agree to say that the assaults did not occur.
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 02:13:57 PM »
Straights was totally different from AARC.  Except for using the  terms like "oldcomer" and "newcomer".  And putting the kids in host homes with other kids farther along in the program.  And using the technique of letting kids berate other kids while extracting details of their personal lives, including their sexual history, which the other "clients" have no right to know.  And the use of witholding contact with family members in the first "phase".  And the use of peer counsellors who have already been subjected to the mind control techniques.  And the fact that the leader's only experience in drug treatment came under VM Newton, in Kids, which came from the Straights but was shut down for the same reason AARC should be.  Oh, and the fact that the leader cultivates ties to money and political influence to protect his operation.  But yeah, apart from that stuff AARC is completely different.  Well, except for having a bunch of people come out of it who have been assaulted and whose civil and human rights have been violated while haps of cash are sucked up.  But besides that they're completely different.
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 02:57:03 PM »
I for one was in AARC. Lately, I've been talking about it a lot; with my sisters who were there on the sibling side and with my S/O Paul who was not. Thinking about it so much is taking its toll. I've felt panicky most of the time and I've kind of regressed back to this small, meek, terrified little girl that I used to be when I was 15. It's like all the years between just fell away, and I'm just as helpless as I was then.

Last night, I'd been speaking with one of my sisters about AARC. Just little things like the jargon they used, what open meetings were like, how Christmas and Thanksgiving were, songs they played at homecomings -- really, nothing especially painful. But what we were talking about, I've been pushing away for years. Describing all the little details of AARC essentially recreated the environment in my mind, I was back there again.

After I went to bed, I couldn't forget, couldn't push it out of my head. I was back there. It's like I always have two realities - the present: the life I'm living, my partner and daughter, and myself, confident, intelligent, compassionate and strong; but on top of that reality is the past where I am still there and it never stopped happening. For the past year or two, reality number two has been weak and far away. It doesn't bother me most of the time, except for when I'm sleeping. But last night, reality number one lost and I was almost completely back there. I curled up in a little ball and hid under my duvet. I took Paul's ipod and tried to drown out my head with Kid koala. But I couldn't make it go away. I was clutching so hard to stay here and believe that it was over and long ago, but I couldn't. I didn't see my room around me anymore.

I don't know how long I was like that, but Paul came in to go to bed and found me tightly curled up, shaking, crying and generally freaking out. He was talking to me for some time and I remember nothing of it. He managed to get me up and dressed and put our daughter in my arms. I started to come back to here and be able to at least see what was going on around me. I was still seeing images, scenes from the past in front of me as if they were real. We went outside and walked along the river, and I came back. Things I was seeing went back to being passive memories that I could control. But I felt so weak, not scared or anything else. Emotionally, I'm just blank. But it feels like there is nothing left in me.

So Guest... I have a right to criticize.
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20